Reviews for Der Erlkönig
emeraldphan chapter 44 . 3/26
My goodness... This was unlike anything I've read on this site. You took us on an exciting journey through several genres: fairy tale/fantasy, modern day, Leroux and back to fairy/tale fantasy again, and each section was so absorbing that I just had to keep reading! The ending felt utterly surreal but very satisfying, with the dark power of the Erlkonig vanquished forever and Erik starting to feel compassion for the people in his care. It's a very different situation to his childhood and at least he prevented another child from suffering the same fate.

As for Christine... You described her thoughts and feelings so well, as she felt herself succumb to the power of the Bond, against her better judgement sometimes. It's quite sinister that neither she nor Erik had a choice really; they were destined for each other through that mysterious bond. But at the end of the day they needed each other, whether they liked it or not, and again you captured that physical and emotional need so well.
Some of Erik's thoughts and past actions creeped me out a bit and almost made me stop reading but I'm so glad I kept going! I could really relate to Christine's line about a horror film that scares you but you just can't help watching it...

Thanks for this great story.
emeraldphan chapter 29 . 3/24
Erik is one of the most screwed up versions I've read about and yet there is something tragic (or tragically insane...) about him too. He's probably right about Christine's method of suicide too... But it's a brilliant interpretation of the torture chamber scene in the Leroux novel.
emeraldphan chapter 22 . 3/24
Some good revelations about Erik here, and the bond that he and Christine have apparently shared for centuries. It's a very original take on Erik and Nadir's friendship, with Nadir's descendants taking turns to "guard" Erik.
emeraldphan chapter 19 . 3/23
This is too exciting for words! I am loving this story, both the fairy tale beginning and this modern section. Erik is beyond creepy. You really built up the suspense and the sense of dread so well.
emeraldphan chapter 11 . 3/21
This is creepy. Christine is in way over her head and the doctors seem to know something about this weird situation. And Erik seems to be beyond human, almost, with his ability to haunt Christine outside the boundaries of the hospital. It feels very dark, but I will keep reading!
emeraldphan chapter 6 . 3/20
I've been meaning to start reading this story for a long time and I'm so glad I've finally got around to it. It's one of the most original I've read on this site and it's certainly one of the scariest too. It's so sad that Erik never got to return to his parents or build any kind of normal life for himself, all because of a cruel, evil king who wanted someone to continue his work. I am really looking forward to reading the rest of it.
Billy4Me chapter 44 . 3/17
This was such a unique concept and so well-done. I especially enjoyed the concept of the bond between them and how Christine came to eventually love him, even over her own objections. Beautifully written and a brilliant plot line. Thanks for sharing!
grandma paula chapter 44 . 1/21
just scrowling back through fan fiction pages and got to pg 44 and found you story. took 3 days to read it but well worth it. it was great and while it was a fantastic tale it was believable. one could actually believe that in some way it was truthful. for the most part it was a fun read with some sad parts but i loved the story. thanks for a great read.
edka88 chapter 44 . 1/15
This was a beautifully written and so very touching story. I loved it from start to end. The characters, the atmosphere of each different place throughout the story but my most favorite thing was the ease that you described the most surreal or supernatural things with. It was a pleasure to read this wonderful story and get lost in the different feelings of the two main characters. Thank you for sharing!:)
Rose chapter 44 . 1/1
A compelling and unique story that takes a lesser known fable into new heights! Bravo! Some editing here and there and I can see this as some glorious original fantasy worth publishing formally!
Bonpetitepoodles chapter 1 . 9/1/2014
Hiya. Did I insult you by comparing you to the Lone Ranger I was trying to give you a compliment. By the way this was one of the first au stories I reAd and it still gives me pause sometimes when I think of fanfiction. That's. good thing to be able to make someone remember your story over and over
HellaPhantom chapter 44 . 7/16/2014
Sniffle... my heart...

What a great ending! I really loved how you developed the relationship between Erik and Christine, it was very patient and believable.
Le-Fantome-de-l'Kan chapter 44 . 2/21/2014
This story was the most different one I have read so far...probably because it's a crossover. I Didn't know if it would be good but it's even better than I imagined! 3

Oh and I finally read the original book xD
Sue Donym chapter 44 . 2/15/2014
Oh my God, how did I not read this story already? It was everything I look for in a POTO story. Thank you so much for writing it! I'll never forget your Erik, he is truly one of my faves.
Orange Bong chapter 44 . 9/10/2013
Have you ever tried writing your own original story? I would totally read it!