Reviews for Sins of the Father
Wirral Bagpuss chapter 10 . 1/13/2009
Poor Watson! being ill is horrid, but at least he has Holmes at his side! _:)
KCS chapter 10 . 1/13/2009
:( The poor pipe! It's a sweet detail, though.

I've been (eagerly or sadistically?) waiting for this chapter, and it most certainly was worth it. *shudder* I was feeling short of breath myself just reading. Your medical research is impeccable as always.

Watson /is/ a stubborn old fool, though. *sigh* I'm glad Holmes was showing sense along with his controlled panic; looks like he'll be needing it soon.
Msynergy chapter 10 . 1/13/2009
I do hope that Watson gets well soon! And I hope that you update soon as well!
Westron Wynde chapter 9 . 1/12/2009
So, the girls are back and reunited with their mother - that's good news. But now Dr Watson isn't in the best of health!

Am I looking forward to more? You bet! :)
Westron Wynde chapter 8 . 1/12/2009
After a very tense chapter, the best news of all - the girls have been found. Hurrah!
pebbles66 chapter 9 . 1/9/2009
Another great chapter! The girls are back home, the mystery is solved - very satisfying!

Now for Watson's illness - the best part as far as I'm concerned! :)
Chewing Gum chapter 9 . 1/9/2009
A happy reunion... Perfect. Yet there are still resolutions to be made!
Sarince chapter 9 . 1/9/2009
When I started reading this I didn't remember what those drabbles of KCS that are behind this were about - and to keep up the suspense I chose not to look them up either. Watson's symptoms did keep bringing up the word "pneumonia" in my head but since this story appeared on the surface to be "just another adventure" I largely ignored them. Until I got to this latest chapter last night. And finally went and looked up those drabbles. Oh, dear lord...

What a brilliant piece of work yet again! You really are among my favourite Sherlock Holmes writers - and THE favourite when it comes to medical stuff. I don't know your occupational background, but it's obvious you've done research and that goes a long way to make it all so very belivable.

In addition to medical stuff all the characters are great. Even if they get just one scene or a few lines, they really fit in. And the overall descriptions are perfect as well. As an example ch3's description of Mrs. Lynch and her apartment: in just a few lines you've created a perfectly Victorian scene, right down to the scarf she's wearing. Great job!

Then there's the desciptions of London's winter. br. I'm from Finland, used to cold weather and all that, but I've lived in London for some years and seriously found it freezing in the winter time. In Fin the cold is usually dry, so even something like last week's -12 degrees of Celsius was not too bad. But in London I remember I wore the same amount of clothes in 0C that I'd wear in Fin in -15C. It's the dampness, it really goes through nearly every layer of clothes your have on and penetrates your flesh and bones.

And of course in those days they didn't have shell clothing, gore-tex and taped seams.:) Wollen overcoats are great and warm, personally I actually prefer a duffel to "technical gear". But I cannot help thinking that with all the traipsing in and out, in and out that they've been doing, well, unless someone's taken good care to brush the snow off their coats every time they go inside, the coats are probably getting wet by now. After all, wool is great against the cold and snow, but if it gets snow on it and you leave in there when coming inside, the snow melts and the wool gets wet. And it takes ages to dry. And when wet wool is not very warm any longer. Of course, they had maids those days. And hopefully more than one coat. :) But if Watson's been running around visiting lots patients (inside!) and has been in a hurry then I'm hazarding a guess he's been running our of dry coats. Not good.

And then there's the buildings: no offence to the British, but I'm not surprised that their dwellings are so draughty, as for example, my apartment in London had a 1-2 cm gap between the window sill and the wall and you could straight outside though that! :) So I do hope Watson owns a good thick down duvet. He's going to need it. And he'd better get underneath it and soon!

Anyway, you know, I've actually been reading this slowly over the past few days - and what a perfect story it has been considering the cold spell that's been over Europe during this time. The chill weather and falling snow outside are just the perfect companion to this story. :)
AmatorLinguae chapter 9 . 1/8/2009
*heaves sigh* They're safe! Nice ending of the mystery - I just hope they change rooms to avoid Miss Pringle!

Poor Holmes; you'd think he was Victor Lynch's father instead of his former employer. But oh, dear, what's wrong with Dr. Watson...
MarieThea chapter 9 . 1/8/2009
Well, that's an ominous sentence at the end there.

At least the girls are all right.

Oh, and I should mention I'm a terrible reviewer, but you are a masterful writer, and I try to follow everything you post :) I would like to do more reviewing, because this story is excellent and the themes, characters, pacing, etc is all spot on, but frankly I'm still worried about that last line. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds...or that I'm reading too much into it? Well, never question the writer, but I certainly hope you update soon!
aragonite chapter 9 . 1/8/2009
Well! Waited on pins and needles for this and thank goodness no one was badly hurt!

Of course, now I'm worrying for Watson...
Msynergy chapter 9 . 1/8/2009
Uh oh about Watson! The poor fellow sounds like he really isn't in the best of shape. :( At least the girls were found safe but what now? Please update soon!
KCS chapter 9 . 1/8/2009
YAY! *cheers* They're all right! And flipping adorable to boot.

I like Mr. Fisher. A lot. If the girls do go to school there, they'll have a good Superintendent at least. Not to mention a great story to regale the other children with about being rescued by Sherlock Holmes. :)

Though I still hope the Pringle woman conveniently gets stepped on by a cab horse or something.

But oh dear...poor Watson, even so sick and well knowing it, still thinking only about the well-being of his small patients and Holmes's guilt. *sigh*
Chewing Gum chapter 8 . 1/6/2009
They're alright! _ At least I hope... Well, one's confirmed alive. Carrying the other it's implied. And you're not so mean. ... Are you?
pebbles66 chapter 8 . 1/6/2009
Yay! They found the girls! Thank goodness! Now just to get them safely back to their mother.

Great chapter, please update soon!
212 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »