Reviews for Thanksgiving, Winchester Style
mssammydean chapter 17 . 5/14/2009
*giggles* Oh Bobby's adorable LOL. He can so take these Winchester boys! XD

Aww...this was an adorable chapter! Banter, dinner, PIE! What more can you ask for?

This was a great story. It was nice to see how things changed from when they were kids to adults. Also, love that pie had significance and an appearance in every chapter ;)
Miyo86 chapter 17 . 5/13/2009
*Bounces up and down* For the last chapter(at least for a while) you pull out the best for last! I LOVE Bobby :D He just adds so much to every story. Betty crocker, lol. Dean wanting to shortsheet Sam's bed made me giggle too. This chapter was just so warm and fluffy, and just had so much of what I've been missing from the show's early days(and even a little hurt!Dean)

I hate to see this end, as I have loved this fic from start to finish. If this is where it is to end though, I'm glad its on a postive note, before things really went to hell-ina-hand-basket. Brava!

As for the allusion in 15- are you talking about the guy who wrote 'A series of unfortunate events?' Widow Tweed in this chapter comes from Fox and the Hound, and the signifigance of that is probably how Todd and Copper parallel Sam and Dean. Childhood friends, then adversaries..all I can hope for next season is that Sam comes back to stand with Dean one more time. Like Copper :D *Goes off, singing 'When you're the best of friends..."
Miyo86 chapter 16 . 5/13/2009
Another year- another Thanksgiving of angst and pain. Nothing new for these two! Season 3 was so hard, Sam's constant worry and not enough days left with Dean...This chapter really fits the title of the fic- the signifigance of uneaten pie speaking to Sam so clearly. What got me right in the heart was Sam's realization about saving Dean vs seeing him in the time he had left. And who couldn't help but smile at the ending. Dean getting back a little of his brother and his pie :P
annie200 chapter 17 . 5/13/2009
Great ending, every-one beautifully in the characters we know and love before he Apocalypse hit. Hope you will get the chance to do more at some point, but his series has still been pumpkin pie for the soul!
Miyo86 chapter 15 . 5/13/2009
To borrow a phrase from Chuck, I liked your 'literary symmetry' in the opening line. Dean had previously counted the firsts without Sam, and is now repeating it with his Dad. And Dean as the last line of defense between the darkness and Sam...well, we've seen how well that's worked out!I really liked how realistic Dean's grief was, and his slightly coming to terms with it toward the end- while the pain of losing a loved one never goes away completely, it doesn't always have the power to crush you forever. It eases up sometimes, at least long enough for a bittersweet toast with a forkful of pie. : )
pandora jazz chapter 17 . 5/13/2009
Excellent!

This chapter, what a perfect way to wrap up your Thanksgiving story.

I'm glad that Bobby invited the brothers to his place and I could just picture Dean's face when he thought Bobby had cooked the dinner.

It was nice to see the brothers relax and laughing. Of course you nailed it with Bobby's thoughts, 'But these boys—they just didn’t operate well when they were at odds with each other. They worked best as a team, always had.'

Thanks for a chapter that made us smile, that made me smile.

Until next time, take care.
Miyo86 chapter 14 . 5/13/2009
I can't imagine how tough this one had to be for Sam. He's back together with Dean, but has so recently lost Jess...I loved Dean trying to be sympathetic, but not letting Sam sink completely. The Metallica was great too The part I absolutely loved was the part about Dean's shirt. Sam keeps it so close he doesn't even want it washed, because it smells like Dean! That is just so telling, that even the little things about his brother are helping him get through his grief. And then there is, after a four year absence for both of them, once again pie on Thanksgiving.
Miyo86 chapter 13 . 5/13/2009
I loved the imagery in this one- Dean finding it more lonely in a crowd of strangers than with his memories of Sam. Being alone is something Dean never has enjoyed, so this was just painful! And Dean checking on Sam just made me want to hug him! Dean, Sammy could never replace you! :( And then his reminiscence of all those past years...Gaah! This was just completely and utterly depressing! Which is what you were going for ; )
Miyo86 chapter 12 . 5/13/2009
Oh Sammy...grass isn't always greener, is it? You finally got a 'normal' holiday, and its still painful. *Hugs him* I loved that Jessica was able to provide his escape plan, hehe. My favorite part of this one was Sam wishing he could merge the two parts of his life, bring his family into his new life just a little bit. But he also knew that a phone call might make it seem like he wanted to go back...such a tough spot! Yet another Thanksgiving, and no pie...
Miyo86 chapter 11 . 5/13/2009
This is me, FINALLY catching up like I promised I would XD I've fallen so behind, that you've finally caught up with the show! Ah well..

This chapter was a really good companion to Sam's. Even with his Dad, Dean without Sam is still alone. I did love that John tried to celebrate with him though- he was still his Dad, and so often he gets portrayed only as cold and obsessive. And yes, the paper...I can just see reading that over and over after Sam left to reassure himself(which of course, he would never ever admit to doing!)
Ani-maniac494 chapter 17 . 5/13/2009
"“Sorry,” Dean held up his hand in a placating gesture. You did not want to tick off the guy holding a big meat fork in his hand. Especially when that guy was Bobby Singer, who could probably come up with a dozen ways to kill a man with a fork, regardless of its size."

*falls over laughing* I love this thought! Bobby could SO be armed and dangerous with a fork, lol! ;)

"They’d both let go of some of their secrets over the past couple weeks, and they’d worked side-by-side on the big angel/demon smackdown, more in sync than they’d been in a while. Maybe things were finally starting to get back to normal between them."

This is such a great description, and wonderfully bittersweet, knowing what's actually happened.

"There had turned out to be more than one poltergeist in the old asylum, and Dean had been thrown—hard and repeatedly—against a wall. The shoulder had buckled under the blows, and now he was stuck having to keep it completely immobilized or risking permanent damage."

*winces for Dean* Oh, ouch. I can so imagine that happening though...Dean does seem to get thrown into walls a lot...

"...it was big…and his boys were smack in the middle of it. It didn’t sit well with Bobby, but there wasn’t a whole lot he could do about it."

I love this echo of Bobby's line in the first season, about them being smack in the middle of the storm that was coming. I also love how you captured Bobby's thoughts! It's a perfect mix of exasperation and affection. So very Bobby. :)

"Bobby just stared at him, incredulous that he would even have to ask. “Well for one thing, you’re not in Hell,” he answered sardonically. The boy could be so dense sometimes; they both could be, come to think of it. Idjits. “And for another,” he cocked a thumb in Sam’s direction, who had the grace to look sheepish, “Sam there’s not off tryin’ his best to tick off every demon he meets in hopes a someone puttin’ him out of his misery.” He let a reproving gaze linger on Sam, who shuffled a little from foot to foot and looked away under the penetrating gaze.

I LOVE Bobby's point here! They really do have a lot to be thankful for in spite of everything, and I love how he has to point out to Dean that's he's a reason for them to be grateful. It's so like Dean not to see his own worth that way.

"That glimpse—Sammy’s still in there somewhere—was enough to bolster Dean’s spirits more than all the words that had been said."

And this moment really made me smile! I really hope Sam is still in there somewhere... It reminds me so much of Dean's line in, "When The Levee Breaks," when he said, "I just want you to be okay." I think that's all Dean's ever wanted.

"The look he gave Dean was stern, reminding him that Bobby had given him strict orders to sit and stay. Dean wondered if the older man had somehow confused him with Rumsfeld."

*falls over laughing again*

Incredible, incredible work as always! This was a fantastic end to a fantastic story. :)

Ani-maniac494
deangirl1 chapter 17 . 5/13/2009
I'm sorry to see this "end", and I really hope to see a new chap next season - or at the least post-series. I trust Kripke enough that I think you will safely be able to do the latter if not the former... I loved them having this at Bobby and Bobby gathering in his boys. Widow Tweed is from The Fox and the Hound - "The film centers around the story of two unlikely friends, a hound dog and a fox, who struggle to preserve their friendship despite their emerging instincts" - a nice parallel to where Dean and Sam are... and perfect that she would provide the comfort of the pie as she was the one to take in the fox...
writergirl94 chapter 17 . 5/13/2009
amazing story

pie was sure very symbolic in this story

oh bobby, gotta love him
suz mc chapter 17 . 5/13/2009
Love, love, love this. Breaks my heart knowing what happened later, though.

Excellent job on the series. REally loved it.
staceycj chapter 17 . 5/13/2009