Reviews for Thanksgiving, Winchester Style
Fictionnaire chapter 2 . 3/29/2009
LOL, another great moment. kid!Dean is so cute. Makes me wonder if maybe Sam did communicate with Dean or if it was just Dean wanting pumpkin pie badly and the baby flutter movement was purely coincidental... As a great man said often. "I don't believe in coincidences" I love how you wrote in the 'blinding smile' that was brilliant and another cute chapter.
TraSan chapter 15 . 3/29/2009
Great chapter, girly!
Fictionnaire chapter 1 . 3/29/2009
A great chapter... Of course unborn Dean wants pie. What else would the mum2be be craving. LOL. Very, very cute. They seem like such a cute couple. Quite insightful I reckon.
lucyjekyll chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
Thank you for turning on anonymous reviews! This chapter is really good! I totally got the literary allusion. :)
K Hanna Korossy chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
It's so fitting that while Dean thinks "helping Dean helped Sam too," what's really going on here is that helping Sam helps Dean heal. Even if they don't get their Thanksgiving at Thanksgiving, Dean is willing if Sam needs it. And it was a good tribute to their dad at the end. I like the thought that pie is more Winchester than hard liquor, and the toast was a good milestone in grieving. Nice.
Mad Server chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
Chocolate pie... *drools*

I like Sam keeping an eye on Dean in this chapter.
pickamix chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
That was very sad but very good.

"Dad’s final order was the salt in the wound of his death and Dean feared he would bleed out before he ever figured out how to live with either." That line was great.

The view into Dean's head and how tragic it was in there just blew me away.

Great job.
J.A. Carlton chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
Hey Bhoney, GREAT chapter!

EXcellently done! Thanks for another great installment... loved how well you got into the boys heads.

As usual, nicely done.
suz mc chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
All I have to say is, "To Dad."

Amazing as always. You show a different piece of the puzzle with each one. Bravo.
adder574 chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
Wow, amazing chapter. I think if we could read Dean's thoughts about his father's death, what you wrote would be exactly what he was thinking. Great job of getting inside his head. It was also a nice moment at the end where Dean realizes that he can talk about his father without geting overwhelmed. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.
pandora jazz chapter 15 . 3/28/2009
You did an excellent job with all of Dean's thoughts, his guilt over John's death and how he has to save Sam. This was definitely second season, but still some of these issues are still reflected in current episodes.

I'll admit I read the 'tag' first when you said you wanted to finish the chapter with a more upbeat ending. I liked the mention of chocolate pie, though we know that Dean likes pumpkin, was this a nod to Jensen's gdm's pie he mentioned during the Chicago convention?

It was a nice moment at the end as Dean shared his memory of John with Sam.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

I enjoyed reading this chapter.
Ani-maniac494 chapter 15 . 3/27/2009
"But it was different now. The world seemed infinitely larger without his dad in it and more dangerous than ever."

You do an amazing job capturing how Dean feels without John there.

"Like Dean was broken somehow and he wanted desperately to find the missing part that would fix him, but didn’t know where to look."

I love this description! So very true. That was exactly how Sam looked at him then, and in a way, I think that was part of what made Dean so angry at the time, that he didn't want to be fixed. He felt like he deserved to suffer.

"They’d eventually begun to find their footing again, and Dean was slowly starting to act like his old self—heckling Sammy whenever possible, taking pleasure in life’s small absurdities, mouthing off to whatever big bad they happened to be facing, babying the Impala—but they both knew there was a gaping wound inside him that just didn’t seem to be healing."

Besides simply referring to John, this is such a great nod to what Dean told Tessa, how he realized something was missing, and then figured out it was her...that he should have let go and not fought so hard to stay.

Such an AMAZING description.

"Their dad had always placed himself between them and evil, an immovable barrier of protection, and now all that stood between evil and Sammy was Dean himself. The last line of defense against the encroaching darkness and it scared the crap out of him."

This is a wonderful look at how Dean saw John, and also Dean's role for Sam...the way he's always been the immovable barrier that's stood between him and evil.

"Smoke, like grief, seemed to have seeped into their pores and no amount of scrubbing could get it out."

I love the echoes here of Sam's thoughts about Jessica.

"Just when he’d had all he ever really wanted—his dad and brother with him, all of them a family again, saving people, hunting things—tragedy had struck once more and Dean wondered when he would ever learn that he just couldn’t have it all. That wasn’t the way his life worked. It ended sad or it ended bloody, but for the Winchesters and those they loved, it always ended too soon—their parents, Pastor Jim, Caleb, Jessica…everyone they’d ever loved killed by demons. He wondered if he’d be able to protect Sammy from that same fate."

This is so heartbreaking, because Dean wants so little, and he believes even that is too much to ask for. I read a fic once which said that Dean lives constantly waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under him. You capture that feeling here too, that he lives as though he's going to lose everything at any moment.

"And as lost, as alone, as unsure as he felt about everything else, Dean knew one thing with certainty: he would save Sam…or he would die trying."

Such great foreshadowing...

"It was what he did, all he knew to do, and he just couldn’t let it matter that he felt hollowed out inside; that he had to concentrate on dragging himself out of bed every morning because his first thought of the day was that he couldn’t do this anymore; or that he had to push himself well beyond his limits so that when he fell into bed at night he wouldn’t lie awake…"

Once more, this is such a great description. I think it applies to how Dean feels this season also, that he has to keep going, because there's nothing else he can do, because, in a way, surviving is all he knows.

"You picked me up and put the pieces back together, man, and I don’t…if something happened to you…there wouldn’t be anyone who could do that again—put the pieces back together.”"

Again, such great foreshadowing.

"Sure, he knew the kid loved him and all, but Dean had always seen himself as expendable. Surely Surely anyone in their right mind would see that trading Dad for him was a bum deal. Dad was…well, Dad."

Oh, Dean... You capture here, in so few words, just how little he thinks his life is worth.

"So he allowed himself a small smile in response as he lifted his own forkful of pie. “To Dad.”"

M, now I want chocolate pie, lol!

Incredible, incredible work as always! :)

Ani-maniac494
sylia91 chapter 15 . 3/27/2009
Another amazing installment, kudos! I think it interesting that this chapter is still echoing many of the issues ongoing even now in season 4. John's shadow looming large over Dean with the unbearable burden of saving Sam and the world and so, so much bone crushing weariness but Dean just tries to soldier on even broken as he is now. I liked your touch with the chocolate pie. Is this a nod to a comment JA made at one of the cons about his grandmother's chocolate pie?
Nana56 chapter 15 . 3/27/2009
Aw. Thanks so much! Great job on this chapter...again...as usual...of course. lol Awesome! Loved it.
L5472 chapter 15 . 3/27/2009
Aw this was such a sad chapter! Seeing Dean beat himself up over John's death.. [

Loved the last section ;)
731 | « Prev Page 1 .. 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 .. Last Next »