Reviews for Thanksgiving, Winchester Style
InSecret chapter 8 . 1/18/2009
*clutches chapter happily to chest* lovely, :-)
Linnie McCary chapter 8 . 1/18/2009
Oh, look! I was just coming over here to put you on Alert, and here's Chapter 8!

I thought you did a splendid job capturing the relationship between John and Sam that we see in "Dead Man's Blood," Beth. You've also done a very fine job of presenting John in quite a favorable light (although I will never be a fan of the man, ever).

I think I'm enjoying each chapter more as you bring them closer to "Show-time." Perhaps that's because you're really hitting your stride.

Whatever-well done!
Ethos chapter 7 . 1/18/2009
Awesome! Gettin' a little action/adventure in there with all the fluff. This was a darn good one. Funny that you should include a casserole that combined everything Thanksgiving. Everything about this one was good, and I have to say, I'm going to be looking forward to seeing some action stories from you after this. That whole throwing-star was an ingenious idea. I take it that it was the predecessor to salt-filled shotgun shells?
Ethos chapter 6 . 1/18/2009
Ok... that was slightly... well, the thought of eating thanksgiving dinner through a straw (so to speak) has gotten rid of whatever appetite I might have had. Still, it's exactly the sort of solution I'd expect Dean to come up with. In fact, when he first grabbed out the shot glasses, I was thinking, "Oh no, he's going to put the turkey and mashed potatoes in the blender." LOL 'Nother one that's spot-on, I'd say.
Ethos chapter 5 . 1/18/2009
Ok. I think this one's my favorite so far. *hugs Dean* Poor guy, thinking his dad's doubting his abilities. It's sad to see that he didn't even contemplate his dad worrying over HIM. I suppose this is the first real shadow of his self-worth issues rearing their ugly heads. Still, leave it to Sammy to save the day. Another great chapter.
writergirl94 chapter 8 . 1/18/2009
awe

hahaaha

swet
Ethos chapter 4 . 1/18/2009
Alright, I know it's been a LONG while since I've reviewed, but I've got a bit of time now, so I'm planning on seeing how far along I can get. Sorry for disappearing on you.

Wow... just seeing the lengths to which Dean is willing to go for Sam... even watching the neighbor's cats... LOL Once again a cute chapter. I absolutely love the little details that you included in this one, like the cracked plates and all that. I feel like I can reach out and touch it. You also did a great job with working within the confines of their (nonexistent) budget.
L5472 chapter 8 . 1/18/2009
LOL I was going to write in the review about how selfish John was because he made the boys dig graves in Thanksgiving..but then I got to the second part...

*hugs John* Even though you're an ass..sometimes..we know it's to protect your family.. *sighs* Poor John.

Really liked this chapter ]
sbgrrl chapter 7 . 1/14/2009
I love the brother bits in this, but for me, it's John who makes this chapter. Thank you for writing him as you do - tough, strong, loving, heartsick. I can't tell you how many stories I have to back out of because they make John out to be an abusive ass.

"Mary. She’d loved this holiday. Contrary to what his boys probably thought, John was very aware it was Thanksgiving today. He’d just been trying his best to push memories of other Thanksgivings, of her, out of his mind. Until he’d seen the spirit they’d gone to hunt standing there in front of him—curly blond hair, big blue eyes, flashing dimples—and suddenly his chest had been too tight to draw in air as he’d seen transposed over her the image of another fresh-faced teenage girl who’d once been full of spunk and life, and the pain—that same old pain that had become his near-constant companion—had been new again and had caught him off guard and the next thing he’d known he’d been flying through the air, crashing into darkness and dreams of a teenaged Mary burning on the ceiling of their old high school while their song played on in the background. Sometimes unconsciousness was not the escape it should have been."

Oh, *John*.

*wibbles*

Thank you for sharing this story!

sbg
SophieSaulie chapter 7 . 1/14/2009
I loved the scenes you set at the beginning of Dean feeling helpless with his dad being injured and then describing how John got hurt and how Dean handled things. It broke my heart that Dean had to be exposed to all this, to be the strong and capable one even though inwardly, he was just shy of panicking himself. He can see the take-charge side of Dean that is so like him. The salt circle to protect his family, telling Sam to keep pressure on John's wound. I loved that he went after the spirit on his own as if he was his family's only hope and never giving a second thought to it. It's so the heroic Dean I love, hee!

I loved your account of how Dean made the call to take John to the hospital, his instincts spot on about John's injuries and yet still getting chewed out by John then later John noticing how rattled Dean was. It was a LOVELY moment! And OH! The scene talking about Mary and past Thanksgiving! Sob! Sniffle! I LOVED EVERY WORD!

Fav. Parts:

Dean had decided to chance his father’s wrath, rather than risk not getting treatment for what might be more than a simple concussion. Turned out it had been the right call—the initial CAT scan had shown that John had bleeding on his brain.

-EXCELLENT JOB, DEAN! I so can see this take charge decision making of Dean's!

At least Dean was trying to keep his game face on, for Sammy’s sake. But John knew his boy, and this whole thing had rattled Dean. Badly. For his part, John had done his best to act like his normal self—lecturing, intimidating, gruff—in an effort to reassure the boys that he was fine. It had taken the edge off, but they still looked so young, rattled…vulnerable.

- LOVE this observation

He took all the responsibility for their family on his own young shoulders. Always had, and Heaven help him, John had let him. Sometimes he wondered what Mary would say at what he’d done to her sweet little boy, at the weight he’d piled on those once-tiny shoulders.

-SIGH! SO LOVED THIS!

Dean waved a hand, dismissing Sam’s correction as unimportant. “He has his reasons, Sam. Thanksgiving…it’s a hard time for him.”

- I LOVE Dean's defense of John. It's so loyal, it's heartbreaking.

“And pie. There was always lots of pie. I do remember that.” He gave a lopsided grin. “Guess that’s why I like it so much now, ya know? It’s like…as long as there’s pie on Thanksgiving, all’s right with the world.” Dean snorted a laugh.

-I can SO believe and see this!

“You did, Sammy.” Off Sam’s surprised look, Dean clarified, “That last Thanksgiving, she would’ve been pregnant with you, right? So you were there, man. I know it’s not the same, but…” Dean rubbed the back of his neck in discomfort at the emotional waters they were treading. Still, he pushed on. For Sammy. “She meant you, too. She was thankful for you.”

- OH, this was BY FAR my favorite line. It is so like Dean to include Sam, to make Sam feel wanted and loved from day one.

“I’ve tried, man, but…I just didn’t hold on to the memories tight enough, I guess. Didn’t hold on to her tight enough.”

-OH! This was so AWESOME too! Again, so like Dean to blame himself for not being able to remember more. How silly is that? But how Dean it is!

Even at fourteen, Sam knew that wasn’t true. He didn’t know anyone who held onto those he loved tighter than Dean.

-SO TRUE! *sniffle - you know me and Sam appreciating Dean moments! I LOVE them.

Without him having to ask, Dean raked all of the green beans from his plate onto his little brother’s. Sam returned the favor by letting Dean have most of his stuffing

-SO CUTE!

He was glad he could do this for Dean, especially with what he’d just told Sam about why having pie on Thanksgiving was so important to him. He would’ve happily let Dean have the whole slice of pumpkin pie, but Sam knew his brother would never take it, not if there wasn’t enough for both of them.

- Again, I LOVED Sam appreciating that Dean would never take the whole thing, that he would always share. Sigh...

Amazing! LOVED it!
Fille de Tsuki chapter 7 . 1/14/2009
This is such a sweet, heartwarming story. It gets me all choked up! XD Honestly, I'm filled with warm fuzzies.

Thanks!
Floralia chapter 7 . 1/13/2009
I really like how you portray John in this – trying to do what he feels is best but not necessarily giving what they need. And Sam and Dean’s worry are just heartbreaking. Dean sharing what he remembers about Thanksgiving with Mary is so sad, but you do a good job of keeping them in character even while they’re sharing emotions. I love how Dean thinks of Sam as having been there for Thanksgiving even if he wasn’t born at the time.
Scullspeare chapter 7 . 1/12/2009
More great bittersweet moments.

I LOVED Sam asking Dean about his mom - something the show has mostly robbed us of. (I really liked In The Beginning but it rankled that, once again, Sam was denied a chance to get to 'know' Mary.) But, here, Sam's simple question led to a great brotherly scene.

Nice shades of grey with John, too; showing us the familiar gruff exterior while allowing us glimpses of the grieving widower/worried father he hides all too well.

And Dean trying to balance his worry about his dad with his need to take care of his brother was a great illustration of John's confession in In My Time of Dying: "I put too much on you." Um, yeah John, you did!

Once again, lovely job! Oh, and I am SO with Dean on the Brussel Sprouts soda. Blech!

Cheers, Sculls
Aimed mischief chapter 7 . 1/12/2009
AW! _
K Hanna Korossy chapter 7 . 1/12/2009
Ah, the sodas return! Somehow I'm not surprised they were awful. I forgot to mention in that review, though, how much I appreciated Dean for having the same thing as his brother even if there was nothing wrong with his throat. And here, I love him for trying to pass off things he did as John's work. Always trying to watch his dad's back and protect Sam's innocence.

And once more, a very Winchester Thanksgiving in a hospital cafeteria. Also so very fitting.
731 | « Prev Page 1 .. 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 .. Last Next »