Reviews for Thanksgiving, Winchester Style
adder574 chapter 3 . 12/17/2008
Great story. It's cool that Dean's love of pie comes from his mother, and Dean being worried that Sam would be bigger than him was cute.

Poor John trying to deal with the holidays and Mary's death. That must have been tough.
deangirl1 chapter 3 . 12/17/2008
Heartbreaking, of course. I think you do an excellent job with how John must have been feeling - in fact, how all the boys would have been feeling. Nicely canon as well. I love how you incorporate the strength of the sense memory caused by smell...
ziggy.uk chapter 3 . 12/17/2008
A real lump-in-the-throat chapter there. You got perfectly the grief of the Winchesters in the aftermath of the fire which took Mary. And John agreeing to the request of well-meaning friends didn't help any. This line said it all - He wanted to yell, wanted to cry, wanted to be anywhere but there, trying to choke down turkey and memories too sweet to forget but too bitter to swallow. And on top of all his grief, and everything smelling and tasting like smoke to him, he had two upset little boys to contend with - Dean not talking, and Sammy fussy, missing his mum. Loved though that touch was the comfort he gave them as there were no words to ease the pain, but the physical contact was both protective and stabilising for them.

Great ending, John making that promise, leading them into the life of hunting the supernatural, although he didn't know it at the time.

Yet another great one-shot, you rock these short stories!
SupernaturalGeek chapter 3 . 12/17/2008
That was very sad and very poignant. You were able to literally feel what John and the boys were feeling, just from your wonderfully descriptive words.

It's such a shame though that the cost of that vow John made at the end was so high..
L5472 chapter 3 . 12/16/2008
Oh no.. *frowns* This is just sad.. [

Dean conforting little Sammy. John being worried about his children. Ah!

The Winchesters never got it easy did they..

Well done! Loved it! XD
Scullspeare chapter 3 . 12/16/2008
Beautifully dark chapter.

LOVED the lightswitch moment at the end when John vows to find the truth - it's that first step on the bumpy road from suburban dad to hunter.

Gorgeous characterizations of Dean (he won't eat pie *sniff*) and Sam. Totally believable, completely realistic, even in these pint-sized versions of the brothers we know and love.

The power of your writing is in its subtlety - never lose that.

Cheers, Sculls
Ani-maniac494 chapter 3 . 12/16/2008
"John wanted to break something. He wanted to yell, wanted to cry, wanted to be anywhere but there, trying to choke down turkey and memories too sweet to forget but too bitter to swallow."

This is such a beautiful description.

"He didn’t make a sound other than soft shushing noises to Sammy to soothe him, offering his brother what little comfort he could. He sat as close to John as his chair would allow, pressing himself into John’s side as if trying to melt into him. As if trying to find sanctuary in a world newly hostile."

Oh goodness, poor Dean...

"And perhaps most telling of all, Dean refused to eat his pie, looking at it as if the very idea of pie made his stomach hurt."

I'm very glad that changed later for him... :)

"Sometimes John thought he could weep from how much he missed the little-boy scent of Dean, or the sweet powdery baby-scent of Sammy, or the lightly floral fragrance of Mary’s perfume. But no matter how hard he tried, all he could smell now was smoke."

That is so very eerie somehow.

"Death had stolen all the words from their mouths and though Dean was the only one who’d stopped speaking, he wasn’t the only one who had nothing left to say."

Again, such a very beautiful description. You have a wonderful way with words.

Incredible work! :)

Ethos chapter 3 . 12/16/2008
Wow... sad. Makes me want to give little Dean a hug. Looking forward to the next installment. Dean MUST recover his love for pie!
InSecret chapter 3 . 12/16/2008
LOL, two minutes after I author alert you a new chapter notification appears in my inbox. Impeccable timing, gotta say ;)

This is heartbreaking. Beautiful, but so sad.

The whole section ending with this:

'But no matter how hard he tried, all he could smell now was smoke.'

Was amazing. Loved it.
InSecret chapter 2 . 12/16/2008
Guh. So cute. I adore your depiction of Mary particularly.

I don't quite know why I don't already have you on author alert...

*fixes that quickly*

Lovely :)
sbgrrl chapter 2 . 12/16/2008
While I'm not a big fan of kidspeak in fic, I have to say I love that you have Sam-in-utero responding to Dean's voice. Aw!
Ani-maniac494 chapter 2 . 12/16/2008
"She swore she was getting ready to give birth to Bigfoot."

*dies of laughter this time*

*comes back to finish typing her review* ;)

"It was hard, because he was so cute, and she loved the little boy sweetness of him."

I love this look at Dean through Mary's eyes. It makes you even sadder that Dean lost a lot of that sweetness besause of hunting and the life they lived. I still think deep down it's still there though, he just tries to hide it. :)

"Dean directed a blinding smile at her tummy and patted it gently, whispering, “G’d boy, Sammy. You’re gonna be da bestest wittle brover ever.”"

I LOVED that moment. Lol, I have to agree with Mary, Dean is too cute, lol!

Incredible, incredible work! :)

Ani-maniac494 chapter 1 . 12/16/2008
"“I know, I know,” she grumbled, not used to being inactive and not liking it much. “That’s why I agreed not to spend the whole day on my feet, making Thanksgiving dinner. I’m being good.” She stepped away and eased herself down onto the chair John pulled out for her. “Of course, I probably wouldn’t be so tired if I wasn’t as big as a house,” she finished sardonically."

You do a fantastic job capturing Mary and John. You portray Mary wonderfully, and I love John's sweet, meaningful comments.

"“Oh, and pie! You can’t forget the pie, John. I’ve been craving pie all day.”"

*falls over laughing*

"“Hey, I’m eating for two here, you know.” She did her best to look offended, but in truth she felt like she was eating for four. This kid had a massive appetite. It was like feeding a tapeworm."

*had finally caught her breath, but falls over laughing again*

"“Guess so. Boy needs his pie,” John smiled, eyes twinkling, and gave her a kiss before standing."

Totally. You know, I still can't believe Sam forgot the pie that one time. I mean, it's bad enough that he lied to Dean about using his powers, but to forget the pie? *shakes head*

Incredible work! :)

(I really do hope that you'll consider submitting your stories to NOTW. It would be so wonderful to have your fics there! :) )

Floralia chapter 2 . 12/16/2008
You manage to pull of sweet so well without hitting sappy. It makes me smile. Dean is a cute three year old, and still managed to feel like Dean, using an unborn Sam as a foil to get pie. It makes me sad thinking about what their actual brotherly relationship could have been like if it had been allowed to develop ‘normally’.
PlatinumRoseLady chapter 2 . 12/15/2008
I am going to PASS OUT from the sweetness here!

Dean is SO adorable I want to pick him up and cuddle him!
731 | « Prev Page 1 .. 37 44 45 46 47 48 .. Last Next »