Reviews for Thanksgiving, Winchester Style
Joby87 chapter 9 . 6/22/2009
Oh man, I wish Sam was my little brother. Always trying to cheer his big brother up. Kudos Sammy, you rock!
Joby87 chapter 7 . 6/22/2009
Wow. That's all I can really say about this chapter...wow. There's nothing more important than the value of family...and pie. You can't be any more right than that. I loved this chapter too and the bond between the brothers, and John just being John. Stubborn, but yet fatherly. Great job!
Joby87 chapter 6 . 6/22/2009
Ew, the sodas sound gross...but interesting. I gotta find some of those. Those really are made! Hm, great way of incorporating those. I think it went really well with the way Sam was injured. Aw, I'm really enjoying this fic! Alrighty than man, still reading.
Joby87 chapter 4 . 6/22/2009
Aw...awesome, awesome, awesome. Again that was so sweet how Dean practically sacrificed himself again for his little brother. It's true, he is the best big brother ever! Okay, reading on!
Joby87 chapter 1 . 6/22/2009
Hey Beth. I finally got around to this fic...and oh my God, I love this chapter! It was so sweet. I absolutely loved the sequence with Dean's gotta have his pie through Mary. That was very clever. Okay I'm on to the rest of the story. Cheers!
Holly Lukeman chapter 11 . 6/15/2009
Your opening paragraph reminded me immediately that those two boys are so interconnected it's scary. I'm not sure its entirely healthy, but I imagine they'd be a lot worse off if that were not the case.

You write angsty, upset Dean very well. His fear of being alone is pervasive, and it's a pretty large part of who he is. I like that you also show that as much as Sam and Dean may need or want to be with one another, the other person's happiness comes first for them. It may be in a strange, messed up kind of way, but it's there.

This chapter actually reminds me of the fourth season. Dean seems kind of lost and off kilter then, too. He doesn't do well when he can't take care of Sam or at least be around to make sure he's okay.

Good view into John's thoughts. Like all Winchesters, he's a bit delusional when it comes to them being "okay." I'm glad you portray him as a father who's trying to care for his kids, but who is also a little lost as to how that should be done.

Ernest Goes to Camp... wow, I still can't tell if I love those things or if I really don't like them. So hard to tell - it's emotionally draining. :) Oh, and was the "internal dialogue John wasn’t privy to" a Sam and Dean thing or just a Dean thing? It was cute either way.

As always, great work.

Holly
Enkidu07 chapter 9 . 6/14/2009
Here is me vowing not to get too distracted. But this was totally worth the detour! Brilliantly written and and super in character. I especially loved the line: “You got him?” As they switched off staying with dean. Watching his back. Keeping him safe while he was healing up. I love it!
SimplyOut chapter 17 . 6/13/2009
I read this chapter ages ago but I was on my phone and couldn't remember my account's password to comment (it's saved on my pc) and later I just forgot! So, sorry for this delay girl and I want you to know that you are on my alert list and one of the best writers in this fandom! ;)

Now the actual comment! LOL:

Aw! Loved loved loved this ending! And with Bobby no less! One of the best fics I've ever read! So cute and heartwarming! THANKS
Realhuntress chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
Howdy!

Don't know if you got my last message about adding a few chapters of this one to my book project. (been having laptop issues) I'd like to add chap. 1,4,10,16 and 17. well, ok - i'd like to add the whole story, but alas - not enough room.

What do you think?
irismay42 chapter 17 . 6/12/2009
There's was a lot to like about this chapter, but my favourite bit? Bobby calling Sam and Dean "his boys"... Aw...

I really liked that you gave this story a happy ending despite where the boys were in season 4, and I also liked that Dean didn't realise that he could be the reason someone wanted to give thanks - which is so typically in character for Dean.

I've really enjoyed this story and I think you did a great job with all of the characters at every stage in their development. I did wonder whether you'd carry on to season 5 and beyond... You could write a "Sam and Dean Retirement Home Thanksgiving..."!
irismay42 chapter 16 . 6/12/2009
You know, all the way through the first section of this chapter I was virtually shouting at Sam, "But this could be Dean's last Thanksgiving, ya idjit!" Thankfully (no pun intended!) Sam realised that eventually. I liked the little nod to AVSC too!
Holly Lukeman chapter 10 . 6/11/2009
Oh, man. As soon as I read "The Stanford Years: The First, Palo Alto," I knew it was going to be sad. Separated and sad Winchester boys makes for a very unhappy Holly. :( And yet I was still entertained... hmm.

"...typical college cafeteria fare—barely edible." Hey, hey, now. College cafeteria food can be surprisingly... no, never mind, you're right. Blegh. But hey, it's not like Sam has a lot of home cooking to compare it to, right? That's inexplicably amusing to me.

Gasp! Sam hates dark meat? Blasphemy. Dark is so much better.

I loved that you made Sam's fortress of solitude The Library. He likes to know what's going on, to know what he's doing and what he's getting into, so I think that's the perfect place for him to relax. Nice character insight. Dean's voice talking to Sam in his head about dancing light theories, etc. was a good addition. It kind of connected the Stanford world with Sam's past - for me, anyway.

Dean's message for Sam telling him that he was proud and hoped he'd find what he wanted at school... I'm torn between seeing Dean do that and just kind of shut down on Sam for leaving. Yes, I believe he wants Sam to be happy however that can happen, but I also think he's like John in that he can be a bit extreme with stuff. Like not calling him for two years (in the show). A very sad moment, though; kind of made my chest ache. I hate it when families are separated like that.

Yeesh, they're both so stubborn sometimes. Just had to say that.

I really liked the tone of the note Dean left for Sam (with the pie). A lot of times people make them way too muchy and out of character. Yours sounded *so* much like Dean, it was great.

The whole one shoebox for sentimental junk was so... I'm not sure if it was a good thing or if it made me really sad. Life in a footwear box. Heh, the reference to Sam's big feet was funny, as was Dean's indignation. Oh no! Does he lose the shoe box in the fire?

Oh, geez. I can't take either of them crying! It makes me cry. That last part of the story was...man, I could just see Sam sitting there, missing his brother, crying while he ate pie alone. Gah.

What really makes these chapters are the little character bits you put in. Like Dean's thoughts that Sam's birthday blade would be nice for slicing through a zombie skull, or how they went a bit nuts with the disposable camera, and how the guys try to be there for each other even when they're fighting. Very nicely done.

And I totally agree - as long as there’s pie on Thanksgiving, all’s right with the world. (With pie symbolizing family togetherness and brotherly bonds as well as being a tasty snack; yes, it has everything).
Holly Lukeman chapter 9 . 6/11/2009
Wow, really need to catch up on my reading here. Been crazy for a while, though. Anyway.

Ha! I like this one straight off the bat. When you think Winchester and hospital, you think gaping wounds, blood loss, protruding bones and other icky stuff. Not...tonsils. So funny. :) And I can just see Dean being all, "Nah, I'm good, man. Surgery is so unnecessary." Oy.

Nice, how you had them settle into a strategically placed city for Sam's senior year. Smart on Dean's part, keeping John busy and all. And yeah, compromise isn't exactly John's way...

"He was even angrier with John, who’d been too preoccupied with the hunt for their mom’s killer and too restless at staying in one place for so long to even notice that there was something wrong with his oldest son." This is sad, but kind of true for John. He loved his family, but he wasn't always as there for them as he needed to be. I really liked this part, actually. Still an awesome character, John.

Oh, Deano. THe part about Sam making sure Dean didn't "forget" to go to the doctor was so fun. Getting tonsils removed the day before Thanksgiving? Way less fun. But still funny as heck from my end. More strange Thanksgiving food sodas, anyone?

"It made Sam sad sometimes, that he expected so little from them." Ouch. But yeah, I can see that having been Dean's childhood. Pretty much trying to keep Sam and John together and preventing either from committing homicide. Makes me sad, too. Ach, you do that so well.

Oh my gosh, a pumpkin pie SHAKE? I really, really want one now. But putting that craving aside, I loved Dean's reaction to Sam's Thanksgiving treat. Dean has outwardly seemed to be the more childlike of the two brothers, and sometimes I wonder if it's because he never really got to be a kid...

You always manage to write really cute, really layered (and deep) chapters that kind of leave me going, "Wow, that was great!" It's always a pleasure to read your stories.
psiChic chapter 11 . 6/11/2009
WOW.

I have had this story and all its newest installments saved in my email for...quite a few months it seems. LOL I've been too busy to read much ff, but MAN, this is worth the wait!

You have, as usual, the boys' emotioal states down pat. Dean's feelings about his dad and the relationship, how he's so terrified of being alone...*smishes the poor boy*

And this: "And he sure didn’t need to look at some friggin’ picture to remind himself of all he’d lost—he saw his brother’s face every freakin’ day. When the gangly kid at the coffee shop tripped over his own two feet while stacking display boxes…when the gap-toothed toddler in the diner dimpled up at him…when the gas station attendant rolled his eyes at something a customer said…when the kid he rescued looked up at him with trusting hazel eyes…when the professor he interviewed used the word “anthropomorphism” in regular conversation…all Dean could see was Sammy." ABSOLUTELY KILLED ME.

GREAT WORK.

*goes to read next chapter*
LivingForTv chapter 17 . 6/11/2009
This was such a complete story. I am awed, inspired and humbled. I am writing in the company of giants. These chapters have held all the things important to me in Supernatural. And it has a happy end. I am SO so SO sosososo pleased to have been enticed into reading it. Truly, this is a story I will be reading again.

From the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU!
731 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »