Reviews for Thanksgiving, Winchester Style
Holly Lukeman chapter 10 . 6/11/2009
Oh, man. As soon as I read "The Stanford Years: The First, Palo Alto," I knew it was going to be sad. Separated and sad Winchester boys makes for a very unhappy Holly. :( And yet I was still entertained... hmm.

"...typical college cafeteria fare—barely edible." Hey, hey, now. College cafeteria food can be surprisingly... no, never mind, you're right. Blegh. But hey, it's not like Sam has a lot of home cooking to compare it to, right? That's inexplicably amusing to me.

~Gasp!~ Sam hates dark meat? Blasphemy. Dark is so much better.

I loved that you made Sam's fortress of solitude The Library. He likes to know what's going on, to know what he's doing and what he's getting into, so I think that's the perfect place for him to relax. Nice character insight. Dean's voice talking to Sam in his head about dancing light theories, etc. was a good addition. It kind of connected the Stanford world with Sam's past - for me, anyway.

Dean's message for Sam telling him that he was proud and hoped he'd find what he wanted at school... I'm torn between seeing Dean do that and just kind of shut down on Sam for leaving. Yes, I believe he wants Sam to be happy however that can happen, but I also think he's like John in that he can be a bit extreme with stuff. Like not calling him for two years (in the show). A very sad moment, though; kind of made my chest ache. I hate it when families are separated like that.

Yeesh, they're both so stubborn sometimes. Just had to say that.

I really liked the tone of the note Dean left for Sam (with the pie). A lot of times people make them way too muchy and out of character. Yours sounded *so* much like Dean, it was great.

The whole one shoebox for sentimental junk was so... I'm not sure if it was a good thing or if it made me really sad. Life in a footwear box. Heh, the reference to Sam's big feet was funny, as was Dean's indignation. Oh no! Does he lose the shoe box in the fire?

Oh, geez. I can't take either of them crying! It makes me cry. That last part of the story was...man, I could just see Sam sitting there, missing his brother, crying while he ate pie alone. Gah.

What really makes these chapters are the little character bits you put in. Like Dean's thoughts that Sam's birthday blade would be nice for slicing through a zombie skull, or how they went a bit nuts with the disposable camera, and how the guys try to be there for each other even when they're fighting. Very nicely done.

And I totally agree - as long as there’s pie on Thanksgiving, all’s right with the world. (With pie symbolizing family togetherness and brotherly bonds as well as being a tasty snack; yes, it has everything).
Holly Lukeman chapter 9 . 6/11/2009
Wow, really need to catch up on my reading here. Been crazy for a while, though. Anyway.

Ha! I like this one straight off the bat. When you think Winchester and hospital, you think gaping wounds, blood loss, protruding bones and other icky stuff. Not...tonsils. So funny. :) And I can just see Dean being all, "Nah, I'm good, man. Surgery is so unnecessary." Oy.

Nice, how you had them settle into a strategically placed city for Sam's senior year. Smart on Dean's part, keeping John busy and all. And yeah, compromise isn't exactly John's way...

"He was even angrier with John, who’d been too preoccupied with the hunt for their mom’s killer and too restless at staying in one place for so long to even notice that there was something wrong with his oldest son." This is sad, but kind of true for John. He loved his family, but he wasn't always as there for them as he needed to be. I really liked this part, actually. Still an awesome character, John.

Oh, Deano. THe part about Sam making sure Dean didn't "forget" to go to the doctor was so fun. Getting tonsils removed the day before Thanksgiving? Way less fun. But still funny as heck from my end. More strange Thanksgiving food sodas, anyone?

"It made Sam sad sometimes, that he expected so little from them." Ouch. But yeah, I can see that having been Dean's childhood. Pretty much trying to keep Sam and John together and preventing either from committing homicide. Makes me sad, too. Ach, you do that so well.

Oh my gosh, a pumpkin pie SHAKE? I really, really want one now. But putting that craving aside, I loved Dean's reaction to Sam's Thanksgiving treat. Dean has outwardly seemed to be the more childlike of the two brothers, and sometimes I wonder if it's because he never really got to be a kid...

You always manage to write really cute, really layered (and deep) chapters that kind of leave me going, "Wow, that was great!" It's always a pleasure to read your stories.
psiChic chapter 11 . 6/11/2009
WOW.

I have had this story and all its newest installments saved in my email for...quite a few months it seems. LOL I've been too busy to read much ff, but MAN, this is worth the wait!

You have, as usual, the boys' emotioal states down pat. Dean's feelings about his dad and the relationship, how he's so terrified of being alone...*smishes the poor boy*

And this: "And he sure didn’t need to look at some friggin’ picture to remind himself of all he’d lost—he saw his brother’s face every freakin’ day. When the gangly kid at the coffee shop tripped over his own two feet while stacking display boxes…when the gap-toothed toddler in the diner dimpled up at him…when the gas station attendant rolled his eyes at something a customer said…when the kid he rescued looked up at him with trusting hazel eyes…when the professor he interviewed used the word “anthropomorphism” in regular conversation…all Dean could see was Sammy." ABSOLUTELY KILLED ME.

GREAT WORK.

*goes to read next chapter*
LivingForTv chapter 17 . 6/11/2009
This was such a complete story. I am awed, inspired and humbled. I am writing in the company of giants. These chapters have held all the things important to me in Supernatural. And it has a happy end. I am SO so SO sosososo pleased to have been enticed into reading it. Truly, this is a story I will be reading again.

From the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU!
LivingForTv chapter 16 . 6/11/2009
I'm crying again. It's all your fault. He can Sam make the same mistake that John did? It's unbearable.
LivingForTv chapter 15 . 6/11/2009
Save Sam

Crack open the door

John loved chocolate pie

You're an artist a, a, an AUTHOR!
LivingForTv chapter 14 . 6/11/2009
Ah, where shall I begin? You have filled this chapter with the most awesome things. And in wonderful writing to boot! Ok, I love that Sam understands how he his father felt, that redeems John a bit. That Dean has a Sammyometer is only fitting. That he tried to give him space and yet kept coming in to check up on him. God I remember doing that myself on occassion, never letting my sister know I was doing it, yet we both knew I did. That Sam wonders why his bedrooms keep going up in flames. The way you describe the smoldering embers (now THAT'S a great picture, SO true)

The choice of song, one of my favorities, I also always, always listen to the lyrics and try to get things across to people with them, Sam and Dean still sharing a meal the way they always do. "With his usual impeccable timing where his little brother was concerned" is a truly great line. The way Sam has decided to return the favor.

Truly, I can't do you justice here, just know that you have reached out and touched me.
LivingForTv chapter 13 . 6/11/2009
The way you write about the same things going through their minds is great. Just super. I love every minute of reading.
LivingForTv chapter 12 . 6/11/2009
Oh the end is heartbreaking, it really is. And though of course to us, the reader, we feel that Sam should show as much pain now as when he first left. But you don't fall in that trap. People heal and Sam has been gone for almost two years and he has another life. You allowed it to happen. He doesn't feel the pain as intensly anymore. Good show!
LivingForTv chapter 11 . 6/11/2009
"Dean was paying the price for John’s mistake and he hated himself for that as much as anything. But he didn’t know how to help either of them"

Alright, crying for real. Doesn't happen often. Enjoy.
LivingForTv chapter 10 . 6/11/2009
*sobbing too hard to write a review*
LivingForTv chapter 9 . 6/11/2009
"It took so little to make Dean happy."

Yeah. That's our Dean alright. Remember Folsom Prison Blues? The way he happily and comfortably slides into most situations? I have always loved that carefree feature of his. And I also love the switch-off here, with John and Sam trading places. And the brotherly banter at the end. Oh, you are the QUEEN of this!
LivingForTv chapter 8 . 6/11/2009
You are seriously breaking my heart *shushed voice* The line with his tough-as-nails twenty year old son... oh how that must have hurt him! Darn Marines! Darn guys who won't ask for help! This was such a wonderful idea and elegantly written. I am honored to be allowed to read it!
LivingForTv chapter 7 . 6/11/2009
*sighs happily* I just love it, Thankgsgiving, Winchester Style. You weren't lying, were you? This is so good, I will have to put it among my favorites. And John being as good a father as he can. Well, this year they are together if only because he can't move. *sniff*
LivingForTv chapter 6 . 6/11/2009
"Dean always made a point to remember things that were important to Sam."

Ah! You should send this to Kripke, you really should! It's positive, uplifting and SUCH a sweet side of Dean and Sam! I don't even care that John isn't there, he made sure his kids were alright before he left. This is DEANSOME!
735 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 .. Last Next »