Reviews for Tis Bitter Cold
NoilyPrat chapter 1 . 3/7
Found it! and *sigh* you did yourself a great one, throwing a curveball on your readers. REALLY enjoyed how you pictured Castiel. HE is a warrior, and all the answers and questions were so very perfect. Heart breaking for broken Dean, trying to keep everything in place. Love Sam taking care of older brother, trying not to mess him up further but putting up with his crap.
Red and white. Christmassy, Winchester style.
Vampyvii chapter 1 . 12/21/2017
WONDERFUL holiday story! Love it!
Mendai Decovrii chapter 1 . 11/5/2014
I'm really tempted to just favorite this without leaving a comment because I'm not really sure how to express how much and why I loved this so much. But I know how much comments mean to writers (and I assume you're no exception), so I figured I could just drop in and let you know this was wonderfully engaging and is definitely going on my favorites list ;) Thank you!
Zinfer chapter 1 . 2/21/2012
Loved it! And another cool Castiel lesson :) I love that! Makes ur fics unique. Keep it up
HeyI'mTalkingToYou chapter 1 . 2/3/2012
Wow. I think the most revealing line in this was when Dean talked about how he'd lived an entire other life in hell, and now he was back earth felt temporary, unreal. I'd never really thought about it like that, but it sheds a lot of light on his character.
Rinne chapter 1 . 5/3/2009

Hee hee hee.

Wow. That was fantastic. You nailed Castiel, and I loved how out of Dean was seeming.
Rat chapter 1 . 4/24/2009
Great little story! I love seeing a protective Sam.
tylee17 chapter 1 . 3/13/2009
OMG. this. was. friggin' hilarious. and at the same time such a smart and heartbreaking little story.

like, "Many demons have more faith than humans?" superb line. totally got me there! (I guess I don't need to worry about having a demonic nature then... well... I guess...) (:

you sure do some clever thinking-and it makes reading your stories all the more fun! (:

then there's the classic. "St. Bobby" lol. oh goodness gracious. I still can't BREATHE from laughing so hard! (:

or this:

“Cas, enough with the cryptic. I have shopping to do.”

*squee* LOVE Dean! also, I'm so glad Castiel is in this (like I was so happy to see him back in last night's epi. I LOVE that angel dude!) (:

aw. thanks so much! you just totally made my day. and worried Sam, getting angry at the poor clerk, adorable!

one of my faves: "'Freakin’ angels are hazardous to your health.' And not just the glass kind. They did tend to smite first and ask questions later, after all. Or smite first and not bother with the questions at all. No reason to ask when right was right and wrong was wrong and wrong got smited. Smitten… Got dead."

sweet! (:

and now I gotta apologize, because once again I managed to quote you without making enough of an effort to actually try and say something smart about it, too (okay, so maybe smart and me,that's two things kind of difficult to combine anyway...) (:

now I better make sure to read your "last" story soon, too. and maybe I'm lucky and already you're dealing with a few of the issues I have with the current season... (:

but be that as it may, you'll most definitely get one or the other review for that story as well, if you want to or not. lol

until then... (:
Triskelion chapter 1 . 2/4/2009
This is a fantastic story.

Where to start? It has always seemed tremendously sad to me that the boys had ... well ... sub-par Christmases. You really capture something here, I think, with Dean feeling a sense of unreality about the whole thing. And it makes me mournful. :(

And then there are the light-hearted touches. "He had a momentary urge to take the gun out of his waistband and use it to scratch his nose just to see the look on the clerk’s face." Made me laugh! "An ice-skating penguin? With antlers, no less. That was just wrong." And so very, very Dean. “Cas, enough with the cryptic. I have shopping to do.” Then there's "stoic angel mode" and Dean remembering the walls of Jericho falling down, and "What? The guy was Switzerland?"

I think you really captured something with "Talk about an inferiority complex." Having powerful supernatural creatures around that he's NOT supposed to kill is new for him, isn't it? Quite a change from the whole It's Supernatural, We Kill It, End of Story belief he had. What with the angels, and Ruby, and of course SAM, he's really having to rethink that these last few seasons ...

So, awesome job. It made me think!

And then there was the angel. And I mean ... wow. Talk about raising good points! “Demons believe in God, Dean. They know His power and fear Him as they should." And obedience. And Joshua! And the thing about sides! And there-are-worse-things-than-dying, and the angel is really TRYING to make Dean understand something, and after it all, Dean is still puzzled and unhappy and wondering what the correct past tense of 'smite' is.

All the little details you've put in ... from Dean's awareness that the angel has "borrowed" a body, to Sam channeling his inner lawyer, to the broken angel ornament, to Sam's gift for Dean en route from Bobby ... I love it. It makes the story so real.

In conclusion, the descriptions were great. The suspicious clerk was great. The characterizations, cadence of speech, all of it, was GREAT. This is one of my new very favoritest stories ever.

(And I've totally read the Yes Virginia letter!)

Hmm ... any more like this in the future? Please? :-)
bhoney chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
You're on quite the Hamlet kick recently, aren't ya? ;) LOL

Aw, this made me really sad: "Half the time he felt like he was wandering around in someone else’s life anyway...Two totally separate lives, and never let them cross if he could help it. Hell. Not hell." Poor Dean! *sniffle*

This made me giggle a little: "Dean skipped the first aid supplies. In their line of work, that would be kind of like buying wire for an electrician." True! LOL

"Sam was making cracks about hell like it was nothing and Dean was trying not to flinch." Yeah, it kinda bothered me when Sam made that glib remark in the Monster Movie episode, about Dean being in Hell.

Nice bit of irony that the ornament Dean broke was an angel.

I liked this little bit of theology from Castiel: "'Demons believe in God, Dean. They know His power and fear Him as they should. Many demons have more faith than humans,' he added gravely. 'The demons fear and tremble while men ignore their Father’s call and refuse to believe in anything but their own existence.'" Sad, but true.

And I LOVED this: "'Angels and demons both believe, Dean. The difference,' he said, his eyes never wavering from Dean’s, 'is that angels obey. I obey. I follow the rules of conduct He has given. I follow the orders I have been given. Even if I do not always understand the reasoning behind something, I understand that One greater than myself sees more of the puzzle than I do...Laziness and disobedience are often easier, even more pleasant in some cases. But even though it requires painful choices, hard choices, it is an honor and a privilege to serve.'" VERY nicely said.

And the part about Joshua was just brilliant: “Joshua asked the Man if he was on their side or the enemy’s and the Man said no, He was the commander of the Lord’s army. He was not there to be on Joshua’s side, Dean. Joshua was there to be on His.” YES!

Okay, so I loved Castiel's whole speech: "Dean, God loves us and rewards His followers. What happens to us matters to Him. But He leads. He does not follow. He is not on my side, Dean, and He is not on yours. God is. I choose to follow and those who are wise will do the same.”

Then Dean cracked me up with this: “Sam, you know I love it when you channel your inner lawyer, but uhh… the guy’s got a point. I’m all over the larceny thing, but I normally wait until I leave before I start opening stuff. Just one of those crazy rules.” LOL Love Sam snarling at the clerk.

And again, so poignant and heartbreaking: "now Sam knew Dean was breakable".

Another nice bit of irony: "a hint of blood was showing through the white of the bandage. It was kinda… Christmassy. Red and white. Christmas. Winchester style." That'd be a great title for a fic. ;)

And Dean's enthusiasm was so endearing: “Please tell me it’s something totally illegal to mail. Something that shoots or explodes.” ROTFL

So glad Sam woke up and came after Dean. Very gratifying too, to see him so worried and upset. I'd like to see a little more of that this season. Anyway, thank you for the lovely Christmas fic. I'm favoriting this one!
kwater chapter 1 . 12/19/2008
A very Merry Chirstmas to you as well - Kel ;)
JazzyIrish chapter 1 . 12/15/2008
I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed your story. I laughed out loud several times (love your Deanisms!) and had a lump in my throat just as often. Fabulous writing.

"Half the time he felt like he was wandering around in someone else’s life anyway." This line about Dean really got to me - he's so broken after what he did in Hell, after telling Sam, that he wishes he could be someone else. Even harder for Dean was: "now Sam knew Dean was breakable" That boy does love his facades!

Really loved this Christmas story, and you did a great job of pulling the last episode into it and the boys' lives. Thanks for sharing this with us. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Until next time...
TheFreshApple chapter 1 . 12/14/2008
Your writing makes me smile... this whole bit was just amazing.

Merry Christmas yourself! But please don't do it "Winchester style".
Ash8 chapter 1 . 12/13/2008
Excellent story! Just full of fabulous lines, humour and angst. You combine all those so well in every story.

Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas.

xx
Vanessa Sgroi chapter 1 . 12/13/2008
Okay, I just have to say that I simply ADORED this story. It was perfect.

A fantastic early Christmas present. Thank you.