Reviews for King of Secrets: A Thief's Odyssey
horsejeansbarngmail.com chapter 15 . 1/26/2015
gee, i feel bad for Remy having to have sex with Phillipa… that is just so disturbing… poor thing lol

and then when he seduced Grey Crow so he could get away (well i guess he didnt "get away" but whatever) yeah but that was brutal… yuck. glad he didnt get raped… i think i broke out in a sweat
Distance chapter 31 . 6/19/2014
So, I've read and re-read every story you've posted in the X-Men genre here, except this one. I've started this many times (I come and go here, as a reader and a writer, both for rather long bouts frequently), but this is the first time I've finished it. I love it, always have but, as life is an inconsiderate thing, I tend to wind up stopping about halfway, and when I come back to the fanfiction fold, I restart from the beginning due to a rather aweful memory. Everytime I've started, and unfortunately stopped, I've been impressed with your capacity to not only project the character of Gambit acurately, but also to seemeingly emphasize the particular aspects of the characted that has caused me to fall in love with him - the idea of a sinful soul on the redemptive process who, though willing to do what is neccessary for repentance, refuses to be wrongfully judged for his past. There's probably some deep psychoanalysis of myself in there, but I'm willfully ignoring it for the moment. Anywho, based on my previously stated horrible memory, I'm not sure if I've ever reviewed this before, and based on your last story's last updated time stamp, I'm not sure if you'll ever read this - but I feel obligated to review this final chapter in particular. I've had this constant thought, while reading past my previous marks of "Where will this wing up?" I have no clue if you did this specifically,,but I felt an immediate sense of understanding and closure when "Gambit" ecounters the woman that "Remy" compares to Belle. I even got a tad choked up as the scene was unfolding. I hope, as some who has never gotten choked up in reading fanfic, and rarely has in life in general, you take that as a compliment. And as icing on the cake, the story finishes with the beginnings of an uneasy, yet strikingly natural, understanding (though never quite a friendship) between Gambit and Logan. Their team-up series in the UK is one of my favorite story archs of all time.

Anyway, this is all been an incredibly long winded way of saying: This is awesome. All that you've written is awesome. And I hope you one day (if that day hasn't already come) find published success as an author. I know often, even the greatest of, fanfiction authors get catagorized as good "at that," but your skill has nothing to do with already established loyalties and fandoms. This is just genuinely good writing.
ebonypol chapter 31 . 5/22/2013
This is soooo amazing! On e of the best xmen fanfics out there! God knows why you haven't got more reviews! It's so in character and it all amazing! Loved it and thanks for the amazing read :D
Wanderling chapter 31 . 2/3/2013
Brilliant! :D I love the storytelling, the plot, characterization of Gambit... So much excellent history here to him! Thank you :)
NicoPony chapter 31 . 7/9/2012
You wrote this long after I had quit reading fanfiction. I'm sorry I missed it. I enjoyed your first-person narrative in Gambit's unique voice. I like that you were able to make him sympathetic, but didn't gloss over the terrible things he'd done. Now I'm going to go read your sequels. Thanks for writing!
Sabriel chapter 31 . 4/26/2012
This review is probably coming years too late but I wanted to thank you for your amazing stories, I've re-read this and the devils own countless times because of what a fantastic storyteller you are. Your characterisation of Gambit is the best on this site and is on par with the writers of the comics. You are easily my favourite author on this site-your talent of creating multi layered stories with deep characters and spot on characterisations keeps pulling me back to your stories to read and re-read. Sorry I've never reviewed before, but I figure I owed you one what with all the times I've read this particular story :)
WindStar chapter 31 . 6/17/2011
Quite possibly one of the best stories I've read on this site. Fantastic, truly, fantastic. Wonderfully well written, expertly weaved. You truly are an extraordinary author. I look forward to future stories from you! I must admit, I'm a bit sad that Antarctica didn't make an appearance in this story, but maybe another time, non? Thanks for telling your tale!
krimsondelamber chapter 25 . 3/8/2011
"I get it now. It's not about being righteous or being a 'good man'…all that really matters is that you don't stand by and let the bad guys win." AKA "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing." An excellent summary of all our obligation to do good in the world.
oh-my-Ra chapter 31 . 1/23/2010
I demand a sequel! RAWR /

That ending was awesome :) but a sequel would be awesomer
Erkling chapter 31 . 7/10/2009
Thank you very much for an enjoyable story. It was exciting to take a look into Gambit's head and interesting to see how you interpret his character. I always shy away from stories where he is the most noble of tormented heroes, since I think that his early life will always leave him with some deep rooted instincts and issues that don't necessarily fit with the X-Men's world view. I also liked how you managed to show that he is often insecure on the inside, saying thinking is not his forte, but showing clearly that he is by no means unintellegent, and emotionally deep although he is not only a bit arrogant, he likes to poke fun at himself. Since I'm a sucker for character development and love it when my favorite character is looked at from the outside, I look forward to start reading your follow-up Gambit fic. Thanks again!
manc chapter 31 . 7/9/2009
I just want to thank you for your story and to tell you it's the best rendition of Remy LeBeau I ever clapped eyes on. He's alive and well and living in Spikey44!
scribblemyname chapter 31 . 6/28/2009
I enjoyed the journey thoroughly. It's as well written as the other and I loved hearing his thoughts and how he ticked. I just wished and kept hoping you'd tell us about how he got that watchman in his head and what's with the theatre and all that. But this was good. Very good.
RogueMoon chapter 31 . 6/23/2009
An absolutely wonderful fiction. Adored every word. You captured the soul of Gambit and it bled onto the pages as slow and golden as honey.

Bravo.
mirenne chapter 2 . 5/17/2009
Okay. dodn't let me finish.

I wanted to share one other thing. And please forgive me for making one suggestion. In French, if someone things something is funny it is 'drole' or 'amusante'. Amuser is the verb 'to amuse'.

Just thought you'd want to know.
mirenne chapter 1 . 5/17/2009
You've written a truly addictive story. I've been pinned to my computer during every free moment (and many that were already spoken for)for the past day and a half.

What's better, you've written a story that feels 'true' to character. Forget the romance, forget the illusions of grandeur about his intelligence, motivation and character that so often pepper other fanfictions. This is not to disrespect other authors; all stories have their place and value. I just happen to love works where the author delves deeply into the unseemly side of an anti-hero to dig out the meat of the matter.

Congrats to writing in the first person with southern flair and wording. Congrats for coming up with some lovely metaphors and word plays. And thank you for putting such great observations into the mouths of the supporting character! (Yes, Sinister is right. He does have mildly sociopathic tendencies!)

Great job!