Reviews for Meant to Say
Riann chapter 9 . 1/6/2014
A wonderful one of a kind story. I just read it in one go and can't help but wishing it were longer. Please more!
Cryptographic DeLurk chapter 6 . 1/5/2014
I stumbled here after reading SoS and its sequel (both are excellent btw), and found something completely unexpected.

Okay, maybe not at first. It was a pretty generic potions accident beginning, but part one was really fun to read. The dynamics between the trio, and between Harry and Draco really work. Snape's snarky "comments" were hilarious. And there is real thought given to what people aren't upfront about.

But then part two happened. The transition in tone between the two parts really does seem too abrupt, and although the introspective tone of Draco's talk with Harry in charms class during chapter 5 goes towards bridging the change, it doesn't fully succeed.

But that said, it was a change in tone that needed to happen, because part two singularly makes this one of the most unique fics I've seen. After going through a binge of HP fic and meta analysis a while back, I didn't think I'd be reading anything that would make me rethink canon.

But this fic made me do just that. It really made me think about what the horcruxes are. I always assumed the regret that was need to unmake a horcrux was regret for the person you killed for its making (I think this was probably JK's intention). But what if instead it was regret for the fact that you had so little compassion and care for yourself, that you thought it was okay to rip up your soul? I don't know if this is what you intended, but it's what made this fic work for me. It really made me want Voldemort to find that amount of compassion for himself.

Another thing that I think really stood out for me was that, even in part one, the truth telling effects of the potion are regarded as permanent. Usually there is an immediate reminder that the effects are reversible, and the characters behave accordingly, hurrying to find an antidote, reverse the effects, and trying to ignore or belittle them in the meantime. But in your fic, even though the superficial effects of the potions accident do wear off eventually, it doesn't matter. The potion and what it reveals in Draco and the others has such a profound effect in the way they see the world, that they can't return to the people they were before the accident. It really adds gravity and reality to the situation.

Sorry for going on so long and thanks for sharing this fic!
Shadow of Flame chapter 8 . 1/4/2014
As much as I like the idea of Tom losing Parseltongue once he removed the Horcrux from Nagini, wouldn't that have to mean that he made her BEFORE the diary? Since he used Mertyl's death for the diary, and to open the Chamber he needed Parseltongue. But maybe the reason could be something like after splitting his soul so many times, and giving Harry Parseltongue, once be broke his connection to a snake, he broke all connection to snakes, including whatever part of his brain/magic translated.
Nightfall Rising chapter 3 . 12/21/2013
Almost can't wait to find out what Severus hears instead of 'I'll be very careful,' but just watching him react and speculating is pretty entertaining on its own. .

Unlike the Draco thing. :(
I like the ratio of fun:plot:angst here.
Nightfall Rising chapter 2 . 12/21/2013
Severus can complain about the humiliation, but WOW did Harry need some time like this, and not just to understand him or Draco. Like reading-people glasses until he learns the interpersonal alphabet.

"I have obtained an item..."
XD
Haitorei chapter 1 . 10/5/2013
Interesting premise!
Drosera chapter 9 . 8/14/2013
Wow! If only it had ended so nicely, right? Really, though - as awful as Voldy is, one has to imagine even he was a human being worth saving once, back when he truly had a soul. Gawd, I just -loved- Draco in this fic... the beginning was so entertaining and then the part with him rooming with Voldy was really just... beautiful.
Thanks for the amazing story!
Guest chapter 9 . 5/7/2013
nice idea
Also September 19th chapter 9 . 4/12/2013
I just finished reading all your HP stories posted here (well, I did only skim the sequel to SoS) & this is my favourite, I think. Such a wonderful idea, and the 'potions accident' trope developed in a completely new way. This is a wonderful Draco, and the Court Jester/Truth-teller is a wonderful parallel.

I also loved SoS & found the developing relationships more believable than I would have imagined. Also loved the whole concept of Obscurus. I have to admit, at story's end, I felt a bit disappointed in the answers to the whole imperius/obliviations of Dumbledore. I mean yes, I understand the reasoning you presented. But it seemed like a very big deal for a while in the story - and then it sort of wasn't really. Nor did any of Dumbledore's complex motives/issues really get resolved.

You did a really nice job on the missing items one shot - though it's obviously part of larger world. The style of the story (much left out), fits its theme.

I will also admit that I was disappointed by the sequel to SoS - and not only because I hesitate to read WIP's. I was so involved with the SoS world, with those characters, and wanting to see how Sirius reclaimed would affect them - that it felt like a bit of a cheat when you moved to another world altogether. It would have been more fun for me if you'd say gone back & forth between what happens in the SoS world with Ron & Draco gone (& Sirius back?), and what's happening in the world Ron & Draco find themselves in. But that's just me, of course.

In any case, thanks for what you've put up. Thanks for your rec's (I'm looking forward to reading your C2). Good Luck & Good Writing!
Lalaland101 chapter 9 . 4/7/2013
I love it! Can't believe you made this from a lighter note to a bit of a darker one. I couldn't believe Voldemort would come unto the equation for one. Didn't see it coming, making this fantastic! :D
Alibi Nonsense chapter 9 . 3/24/2013
I found a story with a nice Voldemort in it when I wasn't looking for one. That was ...unexpected. Thank you. And now I am going to have to browse all of your other stories and go to bed late again with my homework only half done. Thank you for that as well... :) Honestly.
Noradin chapter 3 . 3/8/2013
Madame Pomfrey was simply brilliant(ly written)!
Sophie chapter 9 . 3/3/2013
If there were something like this in reality, it would certainly make life more complicated despite the intention of keeping things simply truthful. And the truth can be brutal in part because of the many lies (well-meaning or not) we say to ourselves and each other.

I think its almost like a self defense mechanism to lie and or at least to never say what we mean because otherwise we end up hurting ourselves or unintentionally hurt others.

Ive been criticized before and labeled as tactless. Perhaps I am. I say things and I literally mean exactly what I say, but people can still take it the wrong way because (I think) they expect a different meaning behind my words. When I cant clear up the misunderstanding (if I find any - because I cant see how Ive done any wrong because Ive only been saying the truth) then I end up destroying my friendships.

Softening the truth leaves a foul taste. Trying to speak without saying what you mean is a frustrating concept (and in your story, you point that for most people that the opposite is more commonly true - I sincerely wish that it was not so).

For a while, Ive stopped speaking for fear of pushing people away and its come to a point where I no longer (or at least have trouble) pull people in.

But Im no longer burying myself, my actual self, (tactlessness included) from the world. Its hard, because I do want to fit in, but I cant please everybody and thats just how the world is.

So thank you. Thank you for writing this story. I have never found anyone else who share the same outlook. So, I sincerely thank you for writing this story.
Rosajean chapter 9 . 1/22/2013
This was a pretty good story but it feels like there are a lot of loose ends left to it and I'm left feeling rather confused. I don't get the whole Ton Riddle thing to be honest. I mean, why did he lose his memories when he regained the pieces of his soul and why did he suddenly become 'good' seeing as even from childhood he was a pretty evil/manipulative kind of child? And how did he reform his soul back into one piece? Bc in canon we know he'd have to repent all that he did in order for that to happen, but here it was unclear how it happened. And I really don't understand how he became a student at Hogwarts again with forged records and everything. That part made no sense. But putting aside all the Riddle stuff, I feel like there was a lot left unsaid/unclear about what went on with Snape & Harry while Draco was gone. And I really wish there had been more interaction between the two - especially a clarification on what Snape was actually hearing when Harry said he'd be careful. Please consider continuing it and wrapping up some of the loose ends that were left.
lazyartisan chapter 9 . 11/17/2012
This.

I have seen the basic premise of a potion accident used so many times to set up badly written romance plots, melodramatic father/son bonding, and child-abuse revelations that would make the Hallmark channel writhe in shame. To have that cliche utilized so *thoughtfully*, as an experience which utterly, permanently changes the characters involved rather than simply occurring as a random, temporary effect, and then following the changed circumstances to the conclusion you have found here- all I can say is thank you for sharing, this story is a gem.
263 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »