Reviews for One of Those Days
Monica Jasmine chapter 1 . 4/25
CONTINUING ON FROM MY LAST REVIEW.

happier for it.
-—-

Additionally, I think that Mr. Layton would actually have been happy for Luke whenever something good happened to him. Layton cares about Luke a lot, and would've likely been cheered up upon hearing that he had had such a productive and pleasant day. Layton might've even suggested they do something to celebrate the occasion, thus taking the opportunity to focus on rejoicing with his apprentice, instead of dwelling on his own bad day.

And again, this was well-written, well-illustrating how frustrations can mount inside of someone when they don't resolve things within themselves, and had it been someone other than the professor, then I probably wouldn't have said anything. Thank you for your Professor Layton fics. :)
Monica Jasmine chapter 1 . 4/25
Your grammar was excellent, and you write well as always... However, I have to admit that I feel that I feel that Professor Layton was out of character here, even given the extenuating circumstances throughout the story. Now perhaps this was actually your intention, to sacrifice a portion of being true to the character in order to play up the humor, kind of like suspending disbelief with "I've learned to walk on water!" did to make the readers laugh. I would nonetheless like to pose to you my theory as to what I believe makes up at least part of the reason why Professor Layton is so good at controlling his temper, and keeping an optimistic attitude even in situations like this wherein he has to endure multiple unfortunate events.

The following is an essay I wrote a while back to illustrate some things I had learned about self-control, and some methods that can help with that. These methods (according to my theory) would likely be used by Professor Layton on daily basis to the degree of a practiced subconscious level, ingraining it into his mentality after much repetition in order for him to accomplish the level of self-control he does (seemingly without much effort at all).

-—-
Humans have both logic and emotion, and despite the differences, there is a way to have these seemingly 'opposite' things work together in a way that will have harmonious results, leaving us with more self-control, self-awareness, and even peace.

So... Let's start off with an example:

Let's say there are two roommates who generally get along rather well. Their names are Bill and Tom. Now one day Bill is playing a videogame, but he happens to remember the garabage needs to be taken out. So, a bit preoccupied with his game, he asks Tom to take out the garbage.

Sure!" says Tom. "I can do that for you, no problem."

"Thanks Tom," says Bill. "You're a real pal."

Tom doesn't mind taking out the garbage. He likes being helpful and it's not like Bill doesn't ever contribute to chores. Time goes by. And next trash day Bill thinks to ask Tom to take out the garbage. He doesn't think anything of it. And neither does Tom.

"Sure," Tom replies promptly.

"Thanks," Bill acknowledges.

Then next trash day: Bill asks Tom again, this time, in passing, he forgets to say: 'thank you'.

"Oh... sure," Tom replies, a bit reluctantly, as he was in the middle of making himself a cup of cocoa. But he wants to be helpful, so he just does it. It's nice when people do you favors, and Bill likely appreciates the little gesture, right?

And the next trash day:

"Oh... Well.. okay."

Now Bill might've noticed Tom's hesitations. But he's currently watching his favorite show and munching away on some crunchy potato chips. Besides, maybe Tom just is just a little tired. But if it were a big deal, Tom would've said something. So Bill just continues watching TV.

Now Tom is starting to think it's a bit unfair that he is taking the garbage out so often these days. It's not like they ever agreed that it would be his responsibility. Ahhhh but it's no big deal! And really, what kind of a petty person wouldn't perform such a simple task for his good friend and roommate when asked?

But then next trash day, after a long day of work, Tom comes home and Bill, the oblivious roommate just has to ask...

"So, did you take the garbage out yet?"

...

"WHY DON'T YOU EVER TAKE THE GARBAGE OUT YOURSELF, HUH!?"

Now Bill wasn't trying to annoy to Tom. But after a while, Bill just assumed that taking out the garbage was now Tom's responsibility. It wasn't a conscious thing. It's just that Tom did it so often and willingly, and he didn't think to consider that Tom might be unhappy about it. True that he might've picked up on Tom's reluctance if he had just been a bit more sensitive. But just who hasn't been guilty of (even just once) ignoring something small out of wishful thinking because it would've been inconvenient to address things at the time?

But regardless, we can't really put all the blame on Bill. He meant no harm. And as considerate or inconsiderate as he may have been. It is Tom who is accountable for his own actions.

And because Tom didn't want to be 'petty', and kept brushing aside those 'petty' feelings, over something so 'small', then when he was a bit tired and just a little stressed, he lost it because he hadn't dealt with his feelings, and kept pushing them into a big, unresolved pile... Which ended up manifesting itself in a rather overly-extreme reaction, making Tom actually appear all the more 'petty' for not talking to Bill about this little chore thing earlier when it first started bothering him. Then he could've actually had a calm and rational discussion instead of a seemingly out-of-the-blue freakout.

Tom had good intentions. He wanted to ignore the 'difficulty' of his own emotions to do what he thought was right: which was to help his roommate when asked. But what he didn't know was that when you ignore your emotions; thinking that you'll forget your irritation, or another person will change their behavior, or the situation will change if they just hold in your 'petty' feelings a little bit longer... Then that isn't facing the problem, or overcoming it, it's hiding and hoping it'll go away.

Now if Tom had known this before. He might've done the healthier thing which is to acknowledge his negative feelings, however small or petty he may believe them to be. And then ascertain as to whether or not the problem is something he can resolve on his own by considering 'why' he feels like that and if it's 'moral' to feel like that... And if not then why?. If he analyzed the reasons for the feeling and why he felt that it was wrong for him to feel those things, then he might've actually found enough reasons to just say: "Sure. It can be my responsibility to take out the garbage. Regardless of what Bill does or does not do, I want to be a helpful person and that alone is enough reward for me." Then he could've set his irritations to rest and been satisfied that he was doing something out choice. Because every time he chose to take out the garbage, that was a choice that he, and he alone made. Bill might've influenced him, but Tom is responsible for his own actions.

"HE MADE ME FEEL LIKE I HAD TO DO IT!"

No. You made you feel like you had to do it, by not addressing that negative emotion that was saying 'something isn't right here'. Stop giving other people the power to CONTROL what you feel and do. You can choose to be a mature adult and accept that you are responsible for what you do. Never ever allow yourself to think that someone MADE you do something. You have freewill. If you feel like something is wrong with doing as someone suggests, then consider very carefully, don't ignore anything, and then act on the conclusion you come to without blaming others for your decision. No matter how they may pressure you, it is your choice.

"You MADE me angry!" - is pushing the blame on someone else.

"I did that 'cause I was angry! And I was angry because you..." - putting the greater blame on someone else instead of just resolving the blame that you are responsible for that is in your power to resolve.

"I was angry!" You allowed yourself to be controlled by your emotions. That was your choice, regardless of how difficult it may have been to resist. If it was right to resist, then you should have.

These phrases aren't reasons. These are excuses.

In a court of law, offenders don't get off just because 'someone made them mad'. And this should apply to everyday life as well. We can be understanding of the difficulty, but the choice is still a result of freewill.

So in my opinion: those feelings aren't petty. You are feeling them. They are real, even if they are small right now, and you have the choice to either push them aside and let them blow up in your face later, or to deal with them before they become a bigger problem that could manifest itself in actions or words rather than just inside your own mind. Granted sometimes the situation doesn't permit an immediate introspective session, but if you put those feelings aside you should do so with the intent to properly deal with them as soon as it is prudent to do so.

It's kind of like having a puppy that has behavioral problems, and tries to launch itself to bite at people every time you walk it. You hold it back in the emergency situation easily because it is small, but afterwards, you should work on getting your dog to stop 'wanting' to bite people, because when he grows up it may become extremely difficult to keep him under control and fix the problem.

Things like frustration, irritation, and short-temperedness can be symptoms of a lack of understanding, often due to a lack of information or focus on the right information.

Our emotions have reasons. Find those reasons and then think of a way to resolve those emotions, either by (quietly and respectfully) discussing it with the other individual involved, or thinking about it and realizing that those feelings aren't right because: 'appropriate reason', and then giving ourselves the closure so we can move on and be more likely to respond to the same situation with maturity whenever it arises in the future, because we aren't holding back a pool of negative emotions.

Interestingly, I have found that employing these methods has not only made me more at peace inside myself, but because I try to ask myself about why I am irritated, I can often recognize if what I am feeling has a reason I can consider, or if it is just a 'mood' I'm in. And now I don't snap at other people nearly so often as I used when I am under stress because I acknowledge that my 'being upset' isn't a good enough reason to snap at other people. The problem lies with me. Not them.

So I would encourage others to not ignore or deny those 'petty' emotions. Resolve them; within yourself if possible, and by talking to other people if needed. And perhaps you will find that you are all the
Annomynous chapter 1 . 5/29/2015
Luke: Professor! I've learned to walk on water!
Layton: Luke, you idiot, you're not Jesus.

Why does it feel so satisfying to see Layton act like anything but a gentleman? I don't know, but I love it. XD

Keep up the good work!
falconer54 chapter 1 . 1/4/2013
Murphy's law, huh? I hate those days...
Vestasam568 chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
XD
E person chapter 1 . 2/7/2012
haha The poor Professor " I loved all the little details that you put in to make his life terrible. And then Luke walking on water? Go figure X)

~E
Hanyou-Foxgirl chapter 1 . 6/17/2011
Professor, I've learned to walk on water! Priceless. xD that was so hilarious, thanks for writing it. x)
Luke Fan 24 chapter 1 . 4/12/2011
Lol, my favorite part was when it said, "The lights flickered, and went out." XD
Jabberwocky The Wolf chapter 1 . 1/19/2011
Perfect in every way imaginable! Looolll XDDD "Professor! I just learnt to walk on water!" *Dies whith laughter.* I think I'm having a bad day being stuck on professor Layton, His is LOADS WORSE! You are a natural!
ardx chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
poor professah...it's not his day...
1Thunderfire chapter 1 . 11/9/2010
It just goes to show that even the great Hershel Layton has bad days. I love your Professor Layton stories by the way, you write them excellently!
PinkAndYellow chapter 1 . 11/2/2010
*Chocking on Laughter*

"Professor! I've learned to walk on water!"

Funniest sentence EVER! XD XD
laytonfanatic chapter 1 . 9/1/2010
LOL this happens to me twice a year!
The Phantomess of the Opera chapter 1 . 8/29/2010
i laughed... i laughed pretty hard! thoughts of smacking his head again the desk. and the lights flickering out - clever! awe, poor professor
Zarya chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
layton...

poor man this has to be his worst day yet...

*smirk* maybe he needs a massage 1 of those hot springs...

with his luck hed end up with a bad mussouse

; poor layton...