Reviews for Fragments of Reality and Dream
jagged1 chapter 5 . 1/11/2009
I enjoyed the story. There is a lack of Casey fic, so it is always interesting when an author braves the Casey granite exterior to dig up the past. The description of the fire with Emily and Erika was heart-wrenching, so well done. Thanks!
Euphoriaoverhappiness chapter 5 . 1/9/2009
AHH! this is so cool! way to go! really enjoyed it!
aardvark7734 chapter 5 . 1/9/2009
I thought this was an interesting story from a refreshing perspective. Not as many Casey fics as Charah fics, as you no doubt know.

I thought the characterizations were very well done, although it was kind of a 70-20-10 split of time spent fleshing out Casey, Chuck and Sarah. This is fine - we rarely get to see what's in Casey's head anyway. All we usually know is the outer troll persona. :)

Your dialogue was well mixed with emotional narrative - I liked the balance. You were also taut and direct with most of the speech, making each character's meaning clear and unambiguous. However, I think you do the same thing that I do in my own writing: Our characters talk with entirely too much precision! What I mean is that, if you think about it, most people don't think up exact sentences and then recite them word for word. Most people begin to speak with a close approximation and then spool out their sentences in a pulsating stream, adding distractionals like "uh" and "uhm" when their queues get under filled. Anyway, however idealized your dialogue is, it worked in the story and maybe this was the most important thing.

I thought your descriptions of locations was adequate but a little skeletal. I have a vague impression of the motor vehicles dept, the diner, Tristavee's house. I'd vote for a little more lushness here.

The premise of Casey's traumatic detachment from his former life seems plausible and appropriate, particularly after the vivid and horrific image of his fatally burned wife became imprinted on his brain. This would be a forever life-altering moment for anyone.

You make it clear that 20 years of hermitage has entrenched Casey's innate tendency to internalize his emotions and how that's not going to be undone by a brief encounter with Emily Grunberg. I think this is apt - no one expects him to turn into Sugar Bear overnight. It's enough to know that the steady pressure from his trusted compatriots is moving his tectonic plates into a more balanced - and hopefully more harmonious - arrangement.

Overall, a nice story and an enjoyable read!
Films By AJ chapter 5 . 1/9/2009
LOVE IT

LOVE IT

LOVE IT!

It's great, please continue :D

The only not so great part, is the fact you made Erika and Emily die on my birhday!
vandevere chapter 5 . 1/9/2009
Is the story over?

Or are there other chapters?

At least I know the connection between John and Emily now. But we still don't know *WHY* she had to go into hiding in the first place...

Another great chapter, though. And I really wouldn't complain if there was more to come...

jane0904 chapter 5 . 1/9/2009
Good stuff - and I liked the way you worked around the original Emily and the problem as to whether someone faked her death or not. And Casey's right - it might get him killed, but at least now he has part of a family back, even if they're not all related to him.
Euphoriaoverhappiness chapter 4 . 1/7/2009
OH MA GAWD! SO EPIC! LOVE IT!
vandevere chapter 4 . 1/7/2009
This just keeps getting better and better with each chapter. Now I'm fairly sure Emily *IS* Casey's daughter...

But that would mean her death was faked, and I really wonder why anyone would do that...

Great work!

jagged1 chapter 3 . 1/4/2009
Great story - mysterious and exciting. I really want to know what is going on with Tristavee...- Thanks for continuing!
Euphoriaoverhappiness chapter 3 . 1/2/2009
O Each chapter is better and better! :D
ne71 chapter 3 . 1/2/2009
This is really good so far. I had a bit of a hard time with figuring out what's actually been happening versus what Casey is hallucinating, but that's probably your intention.

My only suggestion is to clarify the incident in the courtyard. Devon dragging her into the apartment seems like too big of an incident to have it casually mentioned later.

Otherwise, this is excellent. I'm a big fan of examining Casey's character, and this is one of the best examples of that I've read. I love the moment in Ch3 where he realizes that he's endagering the current mission and extracts himself. It's very in character, despite all the out-of-character things that have been happening to him.

Very well done. Can't wait to read more.
Ginger chapter 3 . 1/2/2009
Another good chapter! Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see where this is going!
jane0904 chapter 3 . 1/2/2009
So, which way will it go? This really is Emily, and she's in deep trouble, or she's not and there's some other nefarious reason for her pretending to be Casey's daughter. I've always been struck by Adam Baldwin's facial expression in the Crown Vic story, when Sarah asks Casey if he didn't want the wife and family. There was definitely something there more than just his answer, about the greater good. I hope that this really is Emily, because Casey deserves to have someone in his life other than his partner and the Intersect.
vandevere chapter 3 . 1/1/2009
Yowsers!

Another great chapter; and I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this one...

Great job!

Films By AJ chapter 2 . 1/1/2009
I absolutely love this story, update soon!