Reviews for le roi est mort, vive le roi
TessoMesso chapter 1 . 9/12/2010
Wow, im breathless, u made it look like Soren would actually do that. Im glad he stayes with Ike when they kill ashera now. An absolute amazing story :]
Malistroph chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
I am speechless. I try and be fair and try to judge stories and give some feedback that helps but this was great. You made me believe that Soren would do all this and I am for sure he would do it with no remorse. Very interesting. I admire that you did not use a romantic pairing between Soren and Ike and I grats you. Well done
Writer Awakened chapter 1 . 1/22/2009
A very interesting tale. I'll get right to the heart of why I'm not feeling the story: I just can't picture Soren as this merciless butcher king- or a king at all, for that matter, even if it is his birthright. But since Soren-as-king is the whole *premise* of this story, I won't dwell too much on that. XD. It's the butchery that bothers me.

Soren never struck me as cruel, only pragmatic. His brilliance as a tactician didn't come from a magical ability to outwit his enemies (well, some of it did XD); half the reason he was so adept at strategy and tactics was because he was willing to make sacrifices without letting his emotion cloud his judgment. And in many cases, as is typical with wars, that would involve people dying in order to rout an enemy or take a stronghold. But sacrificing some soldiers in wartime for a greater good is entirely different than randomly slaughtering townsfolk during peacetime out of what boils down to spite.

In Ike and Soren's supports from PoR we see Soren's weaknesses, that behind all his masks he's just a scared little boy who wants to be accepted. He's more of a man in Dawn, but I still don't think 3-4 years would entirely change all his insecurities. Maybe if he had gone COMPLETELY nuts after the Ashera war and lost his fragile little mind...but if so, then play that part up! Insanity is always fun.

As an aside, I always pictured Soren as just leaving everything behind and becoming some sort of Odinic wanderer. Either with Ike or without. The idea of Soren with a long gray beard and a gnarled staff amuses me. XP

Er, anyway. As to the writing, what's there is very good, but there's not enough of it! I know it's supposed to be brief, but I'm of the mind that if a story is worth being told, it's worth being told all the way. The decay of Nevassa is important to the grim tone of the story, so more description of the city streets and the castle where Soren sits the throne would be great. More importantly, we hear about Soren's acts of cruelty, but we never actually get to see it ourselves. It's the whole "show, don't tell" stuff, and it's especially important in order to get the readers emotionally invested, in my opinion. Maybe Soren calls for a guard to bring in a captive and kills him in front of Elincia, or has his guard do it, so she knows who she's dealing with.

Also, IMO, I think you could combine all three parts and have everything happen from Elincia's perspective, although if the part from Soren's POV is really important, it would be interesting to hear *more* straight from the butcher's mind.

I hope that wasn't too harsh a critique; in the end, take this with a grain of salt (or a shaker XD) because you know your story better than I do. So, all in all, this was an intriguing story with an interesting premise. Good job!
raia14 chapter 1 . 1/17/2009
If they voted to have the true blood of Ashnard on the throne over Micaiah and Sothe, then the people of Daein are idiots, truly worthless; chosing a stranger over the maiden they come to know, love and trust.

Only Soren could be that heartless, truly mad, but overlooking that the people could rebel against him and eventually end with his demise.

A very Dark, cruel, disturbing story...excellent... I love it.
jijijpijp chapter 1 . 1/3/2009
This needs a sequel.
Aquatic-Idealist chapter 1 . 12/30/2008
... Soren, what have you become?

Indeed, we often fail to invoke the darkness that Soren himself is perfectly capable of unleashing. Perhaps a lot of us fans of his are too idealistic... But, as an earlier reviewer pointed out, a man with few supporters will find it hard pressed to be king. If he's hated this much, sooner or later fate will turn against him.

Nonetheless, this was a chilling reminder of the grey nature that we all have. People aren't angels or devils, and are perfectly capable of vile horrors and noble deeds. Soren is no exception from the former.

All in all, well done.
El Nino1 chapter 1 . 12/26/2008
I really like this idea. Sometimes I think that Ike may be the only thing keeping Soren from destroying the entire continent, or losing the will to live, one or the other. After I found out who his parents are, I keep wondering if the logic comes from his mother and the hate comes from his father.

One criticism on grammar though: Watch your comas. "Elincia knew that Soren had never been even remotely kind to her, and often he could hardly stoop to mere civility but near Ike, he was different" should have a comma after "civility." There are a few other instances of this.

Plot-wise, I'm not sure how a king could maintain power without having a few allies, at least among the nobility or within the court. If he's so unpopular that every single subject hates him, there would be an uprising or an assassination. Not even the royal guard would protect him unless he earns their favor somehow.

Having said that, most of this is very well written. You have come up with some interesting ideas involving Soren. You have also fed me the plot bunny from hell, but nevermind that.
Sardonic Kender Smile chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
Now /that/ was cool. I often see people trying to bring out the GOOD in a jerk like Soren, but I don't think I've ever actually seen Soren's darkness brought out...and you PLAYED with it too, and twisted it around, until it overshadowed the goodness completely. I really liked that.

I was also pretty proud of myself for knowing what "Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi" means...(Why don't you capitalize the title, by the way? That sort-of jarred me, since I'm really picky about grammar like that). But Wikipedia? xD First rule of anything is to never quote Wikipedia, even if they ARE right...I say this because of something ridiculous my friend did, and it pretty much shattered all my trust in the website XP.

Ah well. Overall, I enjoyed it!

~Kender
Silvara chapter 1 . 12/22/2008
Wow that was... was... wow.

Long live to King Soren !

I love simple yet deep fanfiction. Especially without precise pairing.

No seriously, you should write a sequel of that one (you know, with Lehran, Mist, and Ike... Oh yeah I'd love to read that)

Sorry for not giving any true critique, but I am too awed to thing rationally. You can bet I enjoyed my read. :P
nameless guy chapter 1 . 12/22/2008
Rather disturbing. Something I tend to enjoy! Overall I look forward to another chapter to see where this is all going to
Kunoichi 008 chapter 1 . 12/22/2008
That creeped me out. Good thing my Soren got all his A convos.

Good job and the characterization was spot on! ) I can't wait to read more from you.