Reviews for The New Teacher
CynthiaW chapter 1 . 9/29/2013
This was a great start. Just a few continuity issues that I noticed.

One: In the first scene, Gordon's last name is Collins. Later in the story, his last name is Chambers. Which is it? It helps to know the name of the characters we're dealing with.

Two: When Kate and Gordon go to the restaurant after Danny's tantrum, you have Kate fiddling with the table setting when they are still in the car. I found it kind of confusing.

Other than those two continuity errors, I like Part I a lot. Great job.

Cynthia
Miriam1 chapter 2 . 9/28/2013
Before I forget again, I wanted to say how brilliant this story is. You have done a lovely job of presenting a non-Mutant teacher at Xavier's School, and the culture clash that was inevitable. You also have shown what a teacher's life would be like, especially when the teacher of a boarding school doesn't stay in the school.

There are lots of parts and pieces that you have intuited, and I appreciate that.

Another thing... You have brilliantly captured the troubled nature of the students. Some of them are perfectly functional and respond healthily, like Bobby. Some of them are spoiling for a fight from the "other," like Jon, and some are just damaged souls who have to get used to socializing with people who will actually accept them, like Danny. And all of them are responding like average teenagers (or preteens, as the case may be).

I had all of this in mind by last chapter, but I got so distracted by the romance between Kate and George that I had forgotten to post it.

There are so many pieces that you have woven together that I can't express all that I'm thinking. This is a wonderful work, and this is particularly well done.

Sincerely,
Miriam
Miriam1 chapter 1 . 9/25/2013
Oh, dear. Both adults are sweet, and are as frightened as hormonal teenagers on their first date. Neither are socially inept, but they seem to have been unlucky at love before.

Once they gain a little confidence in themselves, they'll work out just fine. It's just finding that confidence that's the hard part.

This is a lovely tale, and I look forward to seeing where you take this.

Sincerely,
Miriam
Beloved Daughter chapter 3 . 3/5/2012
Very well written story. I great enjoyed reading about Kate, especially her relationship with Danny. Thanks for writing and sharing this story!
Fishy Rainboots chapter 3 . 12/15/2011
Great job. I really enjoyed it. I hope you'll write more about Kate! I would love to read it.
jayrosew chapter 3 . 9/7/2009
very very very good kudos to you :D
Lee Pyro chapter 3 . 3/15/2009
I can't believe that you wrote a fic this long! Nonetheless it was a very enjoyable read. Teachers are fun. Very nice character. Thanks for posting. Keep writing.
kittenkatpaw chapter 3 . 3/5/2009
Hi! I rarely get to the end of longer stories on ffn, particularly those with prominent OCs, so well done on keeping readers reading. :) I do have a couple of nitpicky critique items to offer, if you like. There are a few typos, nothing dreadful (although Midge changes gender for a couple of lines when she meets Prof. X). The things that stood out most for me, though, were the description of the oxygen mask as "warm" (I and other people I've talked to have only found them to be chilly, which I think would be quite pronounced for someone feverish) and the other I mention because, as a comp teacher, Kate makes a glaring error in correcting Bobby (ch 3, I believe). He says "real good" and she tells him it should be "real well." In fact, it should be "really well." It's a small thing, but one that marks her as either an amateur or incompetent, when clearly that is not your intent with the character.

I don't want this to sound terribly harsh- I mean it as a compliment to your story. I wouldn't bother critiquing if the story and the effort you've clearly put into it weren't worth it! :)
kateydidnt chapter 3 . 2/26/2009
I liked this story. Interesting idea, putting a non-mutant in. I liked Danny and his growing attachment to Kate.

Lol-I just read your profile-are you by any chance from the Richmond VA area (love the Byrd!).
Sailor Pandabear chapter 3 . 1/13/2009
nice!:D
Julie chapter 2 . 12/31/2008
Lovely chapter! I am really enjoying your story. Poor Danny...
Julie chapter 1 . 12/31/2008
I really love this story.

It's so different than the ones that involve x-men; usually its filled w/ action but you are doing a great job w/ character development. Not to say...I hope there is some action in the future. Keep writing!
RogueNya chapter 3 . 12/30/2008
Good job on the story, you did very good on it. Might you be doing a sequel? Cause there at the end I had this feeling that Kate could Adopt Danny, I know it may be stupid, but that is what crossed my mind at the ending.
GabrielsDoubt chapter 2 . 12/26/2008
I have enjoyed these two chapters. They are nice and long, and the character development is pretty good.
Fairlane chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
Good start, Great first chapter, it's really drawn me in.

I just wanted to comment on the first chapter, because if the first chapter of a story doesn't catch my attention I quit reading.

I love this so far, it flows really nicely.