Reviews for Land of Light and Shadows
Author Gal chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
*Twitch*

That's mean. Very, very mean. But highly enjoyable! :D
Cloud-123 chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
oh yeah! go Legolas! hahahahaha. he so deserved that. Legolas is amazing.
Jevvica chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Go Legolas! I am so happy, finally, at long last, a chapter about Legolas and Gimli! Now...if they could just stop getting caught and bleeding everywhere...
brynnevan chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Yay for Legolas! Stick him good!

Oh, I hope everything turns out all right for him and Gimli.
evrouw chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
LOVE IT!

I was cheering out loud those last few lines. WONDERFUL!

But please, don't keep us waiting too long for the next chapter.

*pleading look*

e_vrouw
Lamiel chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Yes! Yes! Legolas ROCKS! I knew Dashnir underestimated him, and I was grinning all while he was contemplating the impossibility of Legolas making it to the lava beds at all, much less while carrying Gimli, much less while carrying Gimli AND being injured. Ha!

And then the way he led him in, got him to drop his guard - that was masterful. I was really concerned for Legolas then: his weakness was so real. Doubtless it WAS real, but he made it serve his purpose. Oh yeah!

Dashnir played his part very well, though. The way he appealed to Legolas' loyalty to Gimli, with the image of the carrion birds taking him, was extremely well done. I was actually afraid that it would be too much for Legolas, weakened as he was. Which just shows that I underestimated him too, I guess.

I love how smart and complex your villains are. They are real characters in their own right, intelligent and crafty enough to match against our heroes. Dashnir's only real failing here was his arrogance, and his assumption about what an Elf was capable of. And he can't really be faulted for his ignorance, because he hasn't had all that much experience with Elves. Heck, even if he had I don't know how much it would help him. Legolas is pretty remarkable even for an Elf.

The sea-longing was an interesting touch. Extremely evocative, and a poignant reminder of everything that Legolas faces. It was especially powerful to show such a reaction in a Man who had never seen the sea - similar to Tolkien's description with Frodo in the house of Tom Bombadil.

But even having taken Dashnir out, Legolas is still facing the rest of his men. How is he going to get out of this one? Oh, it is a terrible thing to leave us on such a cliff-hanger when I know you'll be turning your attention to your other excellent stories now. But I do hope that you'll be able to return to this one soon. I don't know how much more suspense I can take.
AM chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Thanks for update.

Read this scrolling down to enjoy the suspense and to keep grumbling/muttering/swearing to a minimum.

Wonderful ending.

Doesn't FF realize the fun of reading review responses?
Alma's Muse chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Once again an outstanding chapter. I love the intense loyalty between Legolas and Gimli. I can't help but be reminded of your story, 'Beyond this World' whenever I read of Legolas' refusal to accept the possibility of Gimli's death and Gimli's effort to console him. Legolas' decision to leave Gimli was a hard but necessary choice. I'm positive this experience will stay with the both of them for a long time.

You have very interesting, complex original characters. I really enjoy the way you flesh out their character with thoughts, motives and impulses. They're very convincing and interact well with the LOTR characters.

Your stories are always a joy to read, Thundara. I'm happy to see your update and looking forward to seeing more. The review response issue is disappointing but there is a solution for everything. Emails and personal websites are wonderful things. :)

Take care.

Alma's Muse
shie1dmaidenofrohan chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
We're seriously not allowed to do reviewer responses anymore? That thoroughly sucks. :(

Once again, great chapter. You really had me fooled when Legolas fell because of the arrow. And it's nice that someone finally gave Dashnir what's coming to him. I'm getting rather impatient to hear about Aragorn and Eomer again, though.
Alicia Pascal chapter 37 . 4/2/2005
Halleluja I finally caught up with the reading!

I have been moving thrice since I first started reading this story, and I have been caught by it from the start. Now for the third time I started reading from the start again, and finally made it through to the point where I can actually write a review.

I haven't read any of the other reviews, and don't want to do it, since I want to give my own thoughts and opinions, undiluted, so I hope you wil bear with me if I repeat something that has been said before.

The short version of what I want to say is: I LOVE IT!

The whole story idea is fascinating. It's funny, it has wit, intelligence, suspence, a complicated storyline, ...and it keeps the reader on the edge. I love the way the reader learns only a little at a time, just enough to make me curious what come next, just enough to get addicted to the story.

The facinating thing is that everything is so logical. One step causes the other, and still it's difficult to guess what will happen next. That's a perfect mix.

The characters are alive, and they are individuals. You show good understanding of the character and middle Earth and love for them all. It shows and makes the reading a pleasure.

Often I laugh, especially at some of the Legolas/Gimli interaction, but the humor always lies in the situation, while the characters keep their dignity. That balance is something rarely found in fanfic, and shows again what a jewel this story is.

You also got the style of speech perfect. The phrasing and choice of words is just as one would expect from the characters. Often I read some passages several times in a row, just because I enjoyed the elegance so much.

And I like everyone of your original characters, even the villains. okay, Ashbad and Dashnir I might not like that much, as a person, but as a character, they are just wonderful. It's not the simple black and white scheme, but nice shades of gray, which makes it far more interesting.

I would really like to give some constructive criticism, but it's hard to find something to criticise. Occasional typos ans mistakes in grammar don't really count.

I could bring up the fact that my interpretation of elves is a bit different, and I at first found the description a bit too mystical and magical (like elves hearing constant sound of nature rocks for example), but that also works so perfectly in this story, the connection with the song being such a good and logical thing that even that difference of interpretation doesn't matter anymore.

Thank you for this wonderful story, and I am very much looking forward to the next chapter(s).

I'll try to be more vigilant when new chapters come out, and with less at a time to work with I might be able to give a more detailed review.

Crin
Estel Kenobi chapter 37 . 3/27/2005
Usually I don't review (left speechless at each and every turn and anxiously awaiting more) but I just can't resist trivia. Your chapter title is from this LOTR poem...

All that is gold does not glitter

Not all thost who wander are lost

The old that is strong does not wither

Deep roots are not reached by the frost

FROM THE ASHES a fire shall be woken

A light from the shadows shall spring

Renewed shall be blade that was broken

The crownless again shall be king
silvanelf chapter 37 . 2/11/2005
Oh my gosh! I was reading your story, (again!) and i realized that i ahve not reviewed yet! (sorry sorry...) PLEASE UPDATE! I am so desperate to see how your story ends, you must update soon! (pretty please?) I await your next chapter eagerly.
Ryuujin Dragon King chapter 37 . 1/14/2005
UPDATE! Update or die. You are the most brilliant LotR Fanfiction writer I have ever come across, Ithilien rivalling, but even SO~! But in order to maintain your title, you MUST UPDATE! I'm enjoying this story so much. And I might have a crush on Arabano. XD All your characters are so much fun. But beware, because I will send some ignited Orthanc fire your way if you do not update soon!
valueofaloonie chapter 37 . 1/9/2005
Just wanted to let you know that I am a huge fan of this story. Well, actually, all of your stories. But this and 'While The Ring Went South' stand apart as my favorites. WTRWS sustained me through an interminable flight to London, actually. Unfortunately, I don't have anything pity or entertaining to say, so I'll just reiterate that I'm a big, big fan. That, and the fact that I'm waiting to see how this all turns out.
nightwalker3 chapter 26 . 1/3/2005
As it's my New Year's resoluion to let authors know when they've totally rocked my world, I had to comment and let you know how much I'm enjoying this story.

You've managed to do the five things that I desperately love in LotR fanfics:

1) brilliant characterization - including faults.

2) a plot that involves actual, you know, PLOT

3) Legolas and Gimli interaction - these two are my favorite characters, and the dynamic between them is a source of constant joy whenever I read your stories.

4) All right, I confess. I like it when writers give Gimli his fair share of the torture. *grins*

5) Brilliantly conceived bad guys

I only started this story yesterday, as I tend to avoid incomplete fic, but I was tempted by the summary (as I was also tempted by Fear No Darkness). I then proceeded to read the entire thing in one sitting. _ I was a zombie at the staff meeting this morning, but it was worth it. I've added this story to my favorite stories, and I'll definitely be checking back in the hopes of an update. I'm especially looking forward to Gimli and Legolas's conversation over whether Legolas will go on without him.

Thanks for the great story!
1,252 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »