Reviews for Land of Light and Shadows
Beth chapter 38 . 4/7/2005
Give me an L...okay I won't turn into Legolas' cheering squad...but...silly dashnir, underestimating an elf. Silly silly. That's all really, lol. I am, as always, amazed by your writing. Do you just write fanfiction?
GreyWolfEyes chapter 38 . 4/6/2005
ARHG! You make us wait...*counts on fingers* *loses count* *gives up* A long time for an update, and then you end with a cilffhanger! *fumes* Man, I might uh, stop reading cause of this! Yeah! Stop reading your stories, that's what I'll do! No, just kidding. I don't think I could ever stop reading your stories. Especially this one. How do you do it? I've thought about writing a serious Lord of the Rings fic a dozen times, but always decided against it, cause I knew I wouldn't be able to make up a satisfactory plot, or keep the characters in character. But you do both superbly! Man! The plot is just so... intricate, and you do a great job unraveling it nice and slowly so it doesn't feel rushed and cheesy, but revealing enough so we don't get disinterested... It's really great. And I love how you get into the character's heads. You can really feel for them. It's funny, I don't normally like Legolas that much (I think he's been given WAY too much attention since the movies came out), but this chapter had me in a nervous panic for the silly elf. If I was a nail-biting kind of person, I would've gnawed my fingers off by the end of the chapter. You make Legolas cool. I hope he kicks Dashnir's butt. He'll make it all right, right? He's up against pretty tough odds, though, isn't he? Even if he does manage to skewer Dashnir, there are all those other guys to deal with...archers...spear dudes...Not looking good for the elf. But he'll make it. I hope. ...*suddenly narrows eyes* You're not going to write about Legolas next chapter, are you? You're going to switch back to Aragorn and company, aren't you! *glares* As much as I love Aragorn and Eomer, you...you have to tell us what happens to Legolas and Gimli. You MUST. Soon. Soon would be good. Very good.

Ok, I'm done now. Whew! But please update soon. Please.

Oh wait! Before I go, I want to thank you for answering my questions about elves a while back - it really helped. I got Morgoth's Ring from the library and read the stuff you suggested - it was really cool. Thanks so much!

-GreyWolfEyes
JastaElf chapter 38 . 4/6/2005
Oh my Eru... I did NOT see that coming.

Your Legolas characterization is just plain mucking Farvelous! That is one of the most brilliant endings to a chapter I have ever, EVER read.

YOU are brilliant. I think I love you. (grin)

Thank you SO much for this incredible update-and I am SO sorry about your smack on the wrist from the Evil Empire. (mad face) Sometimes they just stun me...

Anyway, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Amazing and brilliant.
Alicia Pascal chapter 38 . 4/6/2005
Oh, you are a genius!

:) Let me explain. When I read the last few chapters I 'thought' I had finally gotten my mind aorund the story, and figured what would happen next - and you managed to completely surprise me. I love it.

Along with the idea of searching for a different hiding place for Gimli (it's so obvious, now that I read about it, but the idea just never occured to me) I would never have imagined Legolas getting caught like this, nor the trick with the arrow. It's brilliant.

I got a little comfused with that thing about the sea. It's obviously some kind of mind trick - but how? I admit, since the scene was written from Dashnir's point of few getting an explanation in there is more or less impossible (besides, I love the mystery), but I would like to learn about it later.

It's a pity doesn't allow responses to reviewers anymore, for I would love to know your sources for the languages. It adds a very authentic feeling to the story.

Crin
the-poette chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
That was the most amazing chapter I have ever read in my life! Wow...so capturing and I felt as though the floor had dissappeared from under me when I read the last sentence!

...this is too amazing!

Please, don't leave me hanging for too long.

:):):):):):):):)MANY SMILES TO YOU, BUT THEY DON'T DO YOU JUSTICE BY A LONGSHOT :):):):):):)
Unurith chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
A...MAY...ZING!

That is all i can say...

amazing!
Deana chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
WOW, what a chapter! Poor Legolas...how awesome that he used the arrow as a weapon! What a smart elf, LOL! PLEASE PLEASE post 39 soon! :)
Author Gal chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
*Twitch*

That's mean. Very, very mean. But highly enjoyable! :D
Cloud-123 chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
oh yeah! go Legolas! hahahahaha. he so deserved that. Legolas is amazing.
Jevvica chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Go Legolas! I am so happy, finally, at long last, a chapter about Legolas and Gimli! Now...if they could just stop getting caught and bleeding everywhere...
brynnevan chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Yay for Legolas! Stick him good!

Oh, I hope everything turns out all right for him and Gimli.
evrouw chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
LOVE IT!

I was cheering out loud those last few lines. WONDERFUL!

But please, don't keep us waiting too long for the next chapter.

*pleading look*

e_vrouw
Lamiel chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Yes! Yes! Legolas ROCKS! I knew Dashnir underestimated him, and I was grinning all while he was contemplating the impossibility of Legolas making it to the lava beds at all, much less while carrying Gimli, much less while carrying Gimli AND being injured. Ha!

And then the way he led him in, got him to drop his guard - that was masterful. I was really concerned for Legolas then: his weakness was so real. Doubtless it WAS real, but he made it serve his purpose. Oh yeah!

Dashnir played his part very well, though. The way he appealed to Legolas' loyalty to Gimli, with the image of the carrion birds taking him, was extremely well done. I was actually afraid that it would be too much for Legolas, weakened as he was. Which just shows that I underestimated him too, I guess.

I love how smart and complex your villains are. They are real characters in their own right, intelligent and crafty enough to match against our heroes. Dashnir's only real failing here was his arrogance, and his assumption about what an Elf was capable of. And he can't really be faulted for his ignorance, because he hasn't had all that much experience with Elves. Heck, even if he had I don't know how much it would help him. Legolas is pretty remarkable even for an Elf.

The sea-longing was an interesting touch. Extremely evocative, and a poignant reminder of everything that Legolas faces. It was especially powerful to show such a reaction in a Man who had never seen the sea - similar to Tolkien's description with Frodo in the house of Tom Bombadil.

But even having taken Dashnir out, Legolas is still facing the rest of his men. How is he going to get out of this one? Oh, it is a terrible thing to leave us on such a cliff-hanger when I know you'll be turning your attention to your other excellent stories now. But I do hope that you'll be able to return to this one soon. I don't know how much more suspense I can take.
AM chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Thanks for update.

Read this scrolling down to enjoy the suspense and to keep grumbling/muttering/swearing to a minimum.

Wonderful ending.

Doesn't FF realize the fun of reading review responses?
Alma's Muse chapter 38 . 4/5/2005
Once again an outstanding chapter. I love the intense loyalty between Legolas and Gimli. I can't help but be reminded of your story, 'Beyond this World' whenever I read of Legolas' refusal to accept the possibility of Gimli's death and Gimli's effort to console him. Legolas' decision to leave Gimli was a hard but necessary choice. I'm positive this experience will stay with the both of them for a long time.

You have very interesting, complex original characters. I really enjoy the way you flesh out their character with thoughts, motives and impulses. They're very convincing and interact well with the LOTR characters.

Your stories are always a joy to read, Thundara. I'm happy to see your update and looking forward to seeing more. The review response issue is disappointing but there is a solution for everything. Emails and personal websites are wonderful things. :)

Take care.