Reviews for Land of Light and Shadows
Josafeena chapter 1 . 12/3/2001
THis is
Marcelle1 chapter 2 . 12/2/2001
This is getting really exciting! My heart aches with Legolas' pain, and I feel Gimli wanting to help him, and your use of language is fantastic!
Pachelbel chapter 2 . 12/2/2001
Oh...wow...talent. It's heart wrnching to watch Gimli and Legolas...you have to type faster, I can't stand being stuck with only two chapters. I really miss having my favorites list right now! Would you mind e-mailing me when you update? Please? Pretty, pretty please?
galie chapter 2 . 12/2/2001
This is pobably the best of the LOTR fanfiction I've read. The characters ring true, the plot is clever, and the writing shows a fine talent. The handling of Legolas' sea longing is a new look at what was largely glossed over in the books and is intriguing. Poor fellow, I'm really worried for him.

Now, for complaints - you've dropped us at a horrible cliffhanger-type place, and I want to crawl into the monitor and hunt for the rest of this story! Please, take pity on us and post more soon?

Thanks for a great read,

Galie

p.s. I'm also hoping for another installment on the Carhadras Wars story. That one is great fun

to read! Greedy? Me? Absolutely
Dwimordene chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
I'm really impressed... not that I wasn't before, but just to reiterate, this is shaping up to be a truly excellent story. And I have to congratulate you for your development of Eomer. The poor boy doesn't get much attention and though he's still a secondary, as it were, he's not a prop by any means. I like him fort the contrast he provides to Aragorn: he doesn't have the benefit of Aragorn's upbringing and extensive education in all things Elvish (or Haradric), which makes him very realistic. But he's got a good heart and he's willing to learn.

My only quibble is in line with mercat's, that the ending wasn't really necessary. I'd have preferred to get a glimpse of some of the Haradrim rather than listen to disembodied voices, but it's not a big deal. Looking forward to chapter 3.
IlanaEyeHeir chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
Ah! It pains my heart to see Legolas in such pain. No elf as great as he should be tormented by his Sindarin lineage. I weep at the thought of his fair face bearing a look of sorrow. Such pain can kill an elf with grief easily. I fear for his life. Alas for Pince Legolas of Mirkwood! The reason I live...
Katharra chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
Amazing. Keep writing. This story has me spellbound.
knightobi chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
Another excellent chapter THundertiger! You really have got a great understand of Legolas and Gimli characters and you do great justice to Tolkien's work. I'm so glad that you finally posted and can't wait for the next one. Please tell me that it will not be too long from now.
mercat chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
Very nice. I particularly like your evocative descriptions, as well the very natural-sounding formal language used by the characters. It's hard to write Tolkien-esque dialogue, and too many writers come off as either stilted or inappropriately informal. You have the language down perfectly, and as a result everyone is in character and interacting believeably (and in a very interesting fashion!). My one suggestion would be that the very last section is unnecessary - we already know that the leaders of the tribes are unlikely to have invited our heroes to join them out of the goodness of their hearts. Overhearing their sinister plans this early in the game is overkill and, I think, weakens what is otherwise shaping up to be a superb story.

Btw, I hope you have not entirely abandoned your previous story? I very much enjoyed that one - one of the very few I've read that have made me laugh out loud! - and am eager to see it continued ... perhaps eventually we will see how Legolas and Gimli shift from sharp-tongued enmity to gently jousting friendship?

mercat
Dark Eyes chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
Another amazing chapter! Woowhoo! Still amazing with the Legolas and Gimli characterisation. (Nb: reviewing isn't my forte)
Mari chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
Thank goodness, a new chapter! I was going crazy waiting for it...and wow, this is really shaping up to be great! You have just the right balance of sadness and humor...and a hint at adventure down the road. I really must comment again on how well you write the Legolas/Gimli friendship...I don't think I've encountered many writers who can do it as well as you. PLEASE PLEASE write more quickly! I can't wait to see this story unfold!
Nissa chapter 2 . 12/1/2001
Yeah! Another chapter! You have grasped the relationship between Gimli and Legolas very well! If the favorites lists were working this story would be on mine :-)
Daylight chapter 1 . 11/29/2001
Wonderful! Wonderful! I especially love the playful interactions between Legolas and Gimli.
Lady Iapetus Roving Wanderer chapter 1 . 11/28/2001
Very well done. Absotively loved the exchanges between Gimli and Legolas. Can't wait to read more!
Robyn chapter 1 . 11/28/2001
I really, really like this! Not only does it have absolutely nothing to with the Ring, it also includes the prospect of going to Harad, a country which is rarely even mentioned in LoTR! And of course, I love the Legolas/Gimli banter. :) Continue quickly please!
1,252 | « Prev Page 1 .. 73 80 81 82 83 84 Next »