Reviews for Dear John
Kerry J chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
You know I never really thought much about how the news of Kathryn being alive must've hit Mark and how exactly he composed that letter, but I'm very glad you showed us how that could've happened. The different versions brought a lump to my throat, I felt for Mark and I couldn't even get myself to dislike him or his wife. Great story, I really enjoyed it!
skadoo chapter 1 . 8/17/2013
You've captured the ache I always thought that Mark would feel and perfectly explained the tone of the letter. I loved seeing this look at him and Phoebe. I liked the parallels between his new wife and Kathryn. Well done.
Liz chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
This was lovely! An often not-explored area, how Janeway's family would be, not just post-endgame, but all those 7 years in-between. Excellent! I really enjoyed this.
Elisa Trapt chapter 1 . 2/28/2009
Soo...I can't seem to stop reading your stories. You're ridiculously good at this. And what I really admire about you is your ability to get into the nooks and crannies of existing episodes, getting into spaces that most people don't even think about. I've thought about Mark's reaction, but not to this extent. You've given him a voice that, dare I say, Jeri Taylor herself would probably approve of. To me, he certainly fits the Hobbes of "Mosaic." And I love his impressions of Kathryn, which I thought were right on point with how he must have seen her last. Another very nice piece!
secretcastle chapter 1 . 1/30/2009
This was a wonderful story. I've always wondered how Mark had felt from the other side of the galaxy. Thank you for writing it.
amebane chapter 1 . 1/12/2009
Good story. Can you do one when Admiral Paris finds out his son is still alive?
MarMar1 chapter 1 . 12/26/2008
Wonderful story! I am always intrigued by the relationship between KJ and Mark. I know some do not like Mark, but I generally do (at least my idea of him). I applaud him for holding out as long as he did and I ache for him finding out Kathryn is alive only 4 months after he has married. I bit of a no win for him. Even if he had not married, Kathryn would still be a lifetime away (and falling for someone else, but that's a whole different story). Mark is, of course, one half of Chakotay, as Justin is the other half. So I always think from KJ's comment in "Shattered", saying to Chakotay "A soldier AND a philospher". I also always think that TPTB intended more by the title "Shattered", with the comment "...some barriers we never cross.", but that, too, is another story. Here, you did an excellent job of tugging our heartstrings and not being overly dramatic, showing us the hard, hard choices. True to characters. Nice job!
Mizvoy chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
The J/Mark relationship fascinates me, and I think you've done a good job of capturing his guilt and sorrow over "moving on." I think most of us who are older can remember "the one that got away," and it is always a bittersweet memory. This story reopens old wounds for me-and that is a good thing. Thanks for posting!
Cheshire6845 chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
You have an uncanny way of tackling the most difficult emotions. Nothing is simple. There are so very many sides. I really enjoyed the section in Phoebe's office. I think that part was just about perfect.
pologrmgrl chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
excellent

loved how you really got into Mark's dilemma, and internal conflict

Poly
Dawn47 chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
A fabulous story - almost made me cry for all of them. Mark, his wife, Kathryn, and Phoebe. What an awful situation for everyone. But, there's light at the end of the tunnel for Kathryn, at least. That light sports a fancy tattoo. Great writing!
sbfisher chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
I could feel Mark's anger and fear in having to deal with Kathryn's "reappearance". So many conflicts - how he felt about not waiting for her, to reassuring his wife that Kathryn was no longer part of his life. Wonderful and well thought out.