Reviews for A Tale of Sorrow
The BritCrit chapter 1 . 11/17/2015
This is an interesting idea. The unfortunate mermaid here is definitely not Ariel, but whilst her backstory is very similar to the unnamed mermaid of Hans Christian Andersen's tale, there are some differences (her status as a teen wife and mother, the fact her spirit is trapped in one place instead of being free to roam the world) which make her situation even more tragic, and justify her hatred of humankind.

I am not a fan of overly dark or tragic stories, but this one is solid. I have always liked the idea of Andersen and Disney's stories existing in the same universe, and this fanfic does something unique with it. The descriptions are handled well, and overall, this story provides a stark and effective reminder that not everyone is as lucky as Ariel...
Silent-sky15 chapter 1 . 5/29/2013
This was just breathtaking. The plot was great. And the way you delivered the story was just... *applause*

Please write again soon.
KitKatVsTwixx chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
Interesting. Keep writing (:
Rosa Cotton chapter 1 . 3/27/2011
Oh! This was stunning. Powerful, chilling, haunting... Wow.

"Yet, the mothers' prayers seemed to go unheard as another free spirit watched the ship pass over her from within the oceans depths, yearning for the world above. Dark red hair wrapped around her face as the youngest daughter yearned for that world."

What an ending.

You have been blessed with a gift for writing. Thank you for sharing this.
xJadeRainx chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
Wow, this was like, magic poetry. Stunning writing, really. I don't know who this mermaid of yours is, but I hope things work out better for Ariel!

xJadeRainx
Sideshow Bob Roberts chapter 1 . 11/24/2009
This is a nice little story you've got here. It's not too wordy but there's enough descriptions to be able to see it in your mind. I liked it, despite not being much of a Little Mermaid fan.

Great Work!,

~~SBR
CheetahBaby chapter 1 . 7/29/2009
Wow, I'm quite impressed! I normally fight my way through ficies that are littered with misspellings and other problems, so the fact that this is polished is very refreshing. It's also lovely and well done. I like the detail, and yet you still left it ambiguous enough to let the reader come to their own conclusions. Amazing! I'd strongly encourage you to do a more detailed fic about the mermaid and how she became trapped. I'm not going to say who I think it is or anything as it's not my place. As a stand alone, it's fantastic, as a story inspiration, I think it would be fascinating.
Twinkie chapter 1 . 7/26/2009
Nice. Wow, that was, really, really, good. I loved the originality of this. Is she the mermaid of the original version? Or a different maiden yearning for the world above? Tragically beautiful, well done.
Ariel chapter 1 . 4/30/2009
It's really sad, but I like the idea. I like how the mermaid says that no one will suffer her fate and Ariel didn't :)
MermaidRaven chapter 1 . 1/19/2009
wow I got to say that was a very sad story and I liked it a lot cool
Dreaming Wide Awake chapter 1 . 1/18/2009
Wow, this was certainly different! Not in a bad way, though! I love the unique-ness factor that came into play here. High-five for you for originality!

Honestly, it never even crossed my mind to think about that mermaid on Eric's ship! Huh. Very interesting.

But, still, this was very, very good!

Keep writing! :)

-Dreaming Wide Awake
ISurvivedHurricaneIrma chapter 1 . 1/14/2009
A great story. Very good.
deactivatedaccountforgood chapter 1 . 12/31/2008
Oh, wow. This was so moving. I often think about the origanal story of TLM and the Disney movie and what it would be like if Ariel ever heard it, or if that mermaid talked to Ariel (No, I don't really consider them the same character, oddly enough, LOL)
Sokai chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
...So...this is, these thoughts, rather, are of the carving of that mermaid upon Eric's ship, yes? It's a very interesting take or twist of "oh, it isn't just a wooden carving; it/she was/is so much more than that," etc, and it was very well written, indeed, as well as unique. However, it was a tad confusing or, no, cloaked, I should say, upon further details of how/when/why this was even possible. Is/was this just a former fellow mermaid from within the same kingdom or another one entirely? Are you trying to say she was/is within Ariel's bloodline in any manner, or an A.U. take upon Queen Athena, since she got killed by humans/pirates and such, so now her soul got trapped within this carving, or...? Or is/was she just some completely random OC you created for this fic?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but like I said, it was just very befuddling to me, and since you'd set up, or started to set up, rather, quite a few things in here about her former life and consistent sorrow, etc, yet left them all quite unanswered (IMO, anyhow), it only further aggravates said sentiment...especially since it's complete and doesn't look like you'd make it into a serial.

But still. In any event, it really was quite unique and well written; good job. _