Reviews for A Dark Angel Christmas Carol
latenightrain chapter 1 . 1/8/2009
Wait! I wasn't done. Clicked the wrong button.

Loved this line:

- she didn’t need to add a dead cyberjournalist to the list, no matter how badly he wanted to hold her hand through mittens.

- And how do you break up with a guy that you aren’t even really dating anyway?

Dickens references always welcome. It IS a little crazy the way they just wrote some of our favorite characters with nary an explanation!
latenightrain chapter 1 . 1/7/2009
Sorry I'm so late with my review. Your story is hilarious. I love that the entire thing pokes fun at the utter nonsense that is S2. Your glib dialogue cracks me up!

And how do you break up with a guy that you aren’t even really dating anyway?
Aurora2424 chapter 1 . 1/5/2009
Their are very few things I like more than Dark Angel, humor, and a Charles Dickens shoutout, and you've managed to pack them all together in one very amusing, festive package. This was just great. Though I have so say I sensed a little bit of underlying sadness in this fun-filled tale of DA characters past. Not so much the actual deaths (which were just wonderfully funny by the way), but the situation Max finds herself in.

These lines sum it up for me: "And Logan…well, she would talk to Logan later. Maybe go wish him a Merry Christmas. Or maybe a Happy New Year…it might be a little easier next week...but soon. Maybe she would even try holding his hand through mittens." - It contains hope in that she's not leaving, hilariousness in the mitten image (I mean there really is something totally snort worthy in working one's self up to holding hands through mittens), and yet sadness in our glimpse of their reality. So very well done.

Now I think you should go write a smut fic :-)
ion bond chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
This was fun and sweet. But how did Herbal die? My favorite parts were the bench pressing and the sexual asphyxiation.
Brian2008 chapter 1 . 12/30/2008
I liked the humor in this story the way it uses three of the vanished series characters as the ghosts. Dickens seems very appropriate for Post-Pulse Seattle.
Eternal Optimist chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
This story is hilarious and has awesome christmas spirit! It was especially funny with all the 3 ghosts!
BlueAngel137 chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
Heya, great to get an explanation for the absence of Bling, Kendra and Herbal in S2 and yeah, it's kinda odd that nobody seemed to have missed them in DA-Land ... argh. :-P

I'm happy to see how much those three care about Max and that they show her that some things are worth fighting for.

Wonderful, funny story and absolutely great last paragraph.

THANKS.

P.S.: Hope you had a great Christmas, HUGS, Blue.
shywr1ter chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
Sorry to have taken so long to get here! (although you already had a few of my skwees before now during the sneak preview...)

I'm with Mari; I's usually a hard sell on death, but even though you killed off a couple my favorite characters (only in Max's dream, though, right?) their funny demises made up (well, almost) for their untimely ends.

You know my favorite part: Logan's immediate willingness to take the cure, even not knowing if she'd ever be back, just in case. I like how that scene plays a part in the almost-homage to "It's a Wonderful Life" smack dab in the middle of Dickins, what with the series of "life without Max" scenes with OC and Alec.

A close second (and, honestly, it *should* be my favorite, but it took 2d place by default because the other scene had Loogie in it...) - the opening paragraph. A great hook; it's funny and compelling and very Max.

So glad you decided to kick in with the Challenge again this year - and figures that from being concerned about popping up on time, you were the very first to post! (Positive reinforcement's a beeyatch, ain't it? You know from now on I will wheedle you any time you try to wiggle out of a challenge due to schedule... :P

Thanks for the Christmas cheer!
annie200 chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
Great last line! Was getting a little worried that you were killing my favourite characters off, but it made me laugh anyway.
Mari83 chapter 1 . 12/26/2008
I wish the S2 people had your ability to give a story depth with a sense of humor. The beginning is just great, because ‘freaking humbug’ really is the only way to describe the whole frustrating, silly list of things getting into their way in S2.

Christmas is absolutely the right time for Max having a breaking point with her frustration over things just not seeming to be worth all her efforts, sulkily, self-righteously, self-pityingly talking herself into people being better of without her.

"And how do you break up with a guy that you aren’t even really dating anyway? It’s not like you can have a serious boyfriend/girlfriend relationship when the girlfriend is poisonous and can kill the boyfriend by standing too close."

Ah, pointing out the whole craziness of S2 that made them seem like some silly teenage couple.

“Actually, it’s ‘The Ghost of Bling’

“Oh sure, I have regrets like everybody, but I’ve given the whole bondage thing up for good. Turned out it was so not worth it. And I’m trying not to accessorize as much, keep the emphasis on me.”

I just love all the ghosts (you managed that I only felt the tiniest bit bad about them being dead), their complaints about Max not missing them and not realizing they’re dead but your Kendra just has this giggling effect on me every time. This is just the best way to get cultural education on important literary oeuvres:-)

"You run from your problems, you run from the people who care about you, and you’re building up one huge pile of regrets in this life.”

And among all the amusing parts, very effective way to point out the faults in Max’s behavior, why her reasoning and running away is wrong, make her see what she does have, her friends.

“All she could think about was how sad Logan looked. Had he really looked that sad the first time? She had been so caught up in her own emotional turmoil at the time, she never fully appreciated how defeated he looked when he told her to just go.”

Oh, so good and sad realization for my shipper heart, sigh…

Also really like the future without Max scenarios, Logan still risking his life for a cure even with Max gone for long, Cindy killed…

"Maybe she would even try holding his hand through mittens."

Just so good for showing the ridiculous absurdity of the virus.

"After all, home was where she parked her bike…and her bike was here."

And the ending – fun and sweet and good to have another Christmas story where Max realizes all the things she does have.
b l a c k r o s e 9 chapter 1 . 12/25/2008
that was so cute. loved the format and the funny parts. loved herbal kendra and bling- i missed those guys! merry christmas!

xoxox
Insane Troll Logic chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
Stopping over here to add this to my favs (squee and related gushing over on lj) and also offer a public apology since I'm undoubtedly the hardest one to write for in our little group. I'm sorry I asked for Zombies. I really can't help myself. (It's all right. There are zombies in my Xmas fic. Things work out.)

But yeah, I ADORE THIS FIC. THANK YOU and Merry Christmas. )
Midnight Parallax chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
This was great! I loved how you wrote Herbal, it's not easy. And I like how you brought back the three Season 1 characters that vanished. You have a wonderful sense of humor. Happy Holidays!
lisa316 chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
I have always wondered what happended to those three! This makes perfect sense!