Reviews for Beautiful Day
undercloakkept chapter 1 . 2/26/2009
Ahh, Katy, I'm so glad you recommended this one. I can't imagine flaming you for it! Bill's grief for Fred is very stark and touching, but've really done her justice. She didn't get to be a Tri-Wizard Champion for nothing, after all. I may have missed the point, I suppose, but I don't read rape from this story. A brutal catharsis, yes, but more about the transference of pain than the infliction of it. Gah! I can't sort out how to express what I'm thinking very well. But in any case, this is one of the most empowered Fleurs I've ever read, and if it's rape, she'd see herself as accomplice rather than victim. But of course, you already know that!
HeatherRiddle chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
I actually don't know...maybe in your imagination, it was a lot more violent, but it wasn't conveyed like that. To me, it just looked like he was heartbroken and needed his wife. And of course, in his state, it was hard to control himself. I would forgive like Fleur did.

Oh yeah, that was pretty well written. Angsty and whatnot. I liked it. In the way you CAN like fics like that.
Rita Arabella Black chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
This is a beautiful story. I didn't see it as a rape (and I know you did, but hear me out); it's a natural reaction when we lose someone to desperately want to connect; to feel alive. Anyway, that's the way I look at it. I loved it.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot chapter 1 . 1/17/2009
Please do forgive me for being so unforgivably late in reviewing this work. I can't believe the dedication in the Author's Note-that was lovely!

Onto the story. I think this was one of the more realistic grief/romance pieces I've read, original or otherwise. And it's very complicated. You make it very clear that Fleur's the only one who can understand what Bill needs in order to deal with his grief. She understands that Bill must/feels he must maintain a show of strength in front of the others (or that he thinks they expect him to be the pillar of strength in the aftermath of Fred's death). She understands that Bill needs his time to grieve, and she does not yield when he requires more physical comfort. I definitely do not think this is rape. I honestly think it even shows Fleur in a strong light-she knows exactly what her husband needs, she allows him access to her, and she fixes him before they return. I loved the line about showing his family that he cries-I think that speaks volumes for her strength as a wife and person.

Bravo! Seriously . . . this was so good!
mid20sfan86 chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
I thought this was a good story, and I don't understand why people would flame you. I read this story for the dedication thread at the reviews lounge, but I am glad I did read it because you had me hooked from the first sentence. Don't worry about what anyone else says. This was a good story. :)
xoxcrescentmoonxox chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
Wow. I like how you gave a shape to Bill's grief, and, like most other reviewers, I don't think it was really rape, as Fleur didn't try to stop him. It is, however, a very thin line between the two.

But, anyway, on to the actual review - like your other Weasley pieces, you write them so well, from just the little details at Fred's funeral to Fleur leaving Bill's eyes red so his family could see he'd been crying. I also adore Fleur in this piece - she's so strong and quietly righteous, in a way I wish we could have seen more of in the books *favorites*
lyin chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
i love how she cleans them both up. it seems very in-character, and the line about leaving the tearstains on his face, and the description of the thought as *savage*, is absolutely terrific. as is the whole bit from tasting blood on her lips through the beautiful day... ooh. just realistic, essentially prose-poetic, and i really liked this, and the weird thing is, especially after reading your author's note, i feel like i *should* be at least vaguely indignant at Bill but i'm not actually, i can't be at all. you really get a feel of the hammer of grief here and god, do i get it. i didn't think of the word rape till you mentioned it, though i suppose i can see that. really a great capture of Bill's feelings and thought-provoking besides. great writing, keep it up :)
firewordsparkler chapter 1 . 1/1/2009
I somewhat understand why Fleur was so forgiving. She understood that Bill was holding in the pain of everything for so long, trying to be the strong one, and he had to let it out. I'm not saying it was the right way to do it, nor the typical, but he still let it out. He has a right to be broken.
mustardgirl1128 chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
Oh, wow. This was...different. Very sad, I could definetely feel the struggle to be strong within both of them. The fact that Fleur kept Bill's eyes red & the tearstains on his face was sweet. Nice job.
Mary Gooby chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
Oops. Weird they totally redid the site. Ok, that was good but a little messed up. Ok. ok. ok. geez. That was freaky. Good. ok. But freaky. Ok. ok. ok. ok. Beyond my maturity level. Ew. Okay.
aki6 chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
I don't know. Was that rape? Rape would indicate unwillingness on the part of one of the party but Fleur, was she unwilling? It wasn't very clear. She just seemed overwhelmed but there wasn't indication of her attempting to fight him off.
NellieNotMolly chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
Oh, no, this is not rape, in my opinion. It is simply a husband (in great need,) reaching out for his wife, who comforts him. Yes, he is too rough, and hurts her unintentionally, but that is just the physical part. The emotional comfort is what is important, and that is shared. Would I react the same way Fleur did? I have no idea. Thankfully, I have not been in that situation.

I love that she fixed his hair by hand rather than with magic. A touching story.

(By the way, please stop worrying about age. You are beginning to give me a complex!) :-)
Ticklish Monster chapter 1 . 12/26/2008
Everything you write is so well done that it makes me forget that these characters are merely characters, rather than real people I have come to know. Your words bring them to life, and this (completely amazing) story is no different.

I, along with most of the other reviewers, do not take it as rape. Rather, as an affirmation of life, that Bill is alive and he somehow needs reassurance of this, and the easiest way to do both that and take out some of his anger, his grief, is through sex. Fleur knows this and knows that it will help him, so she doesn't resist him. I think that after he broke down, she would be unable to resist him anything and would do whatever it took to give him at least a few minutes of forgetting.

This was so well done that it gave me chills. Thank you.
FirstYear chapter 1 . 12/26/2008
...and she could not resist him if she wanted to. I think it is this line that says it is not rape, but a seeking of some sort of connection to ease his grief.

Too old to write fanfics? LOL Perhaps it is the age that lends one to understand the emotion shown in this wonderfuly written piece.

I liked the fact that she did not clean his face so his family could see that he cries too. Very nicey done.
Dodger Gilmore chapter 1 . 12/26/2008
The grief in this was so raw, so painful, so real I could almost feel it. The fact that Bill doesn't act the way Bill would normally act just adds to that. I don't think this is a story that justifies sexual violence, and I do not think Fleur would be a person to accept that under normal circumstances. But this isn't normal circumstances, and I think she's so desperately trying to let him grieve and not be the good son and brother all the time that she'd understand that this was just him hitting the absolute breaking point. I love the way you wrote this. Really hit hard.
44 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »