Reviews for Searching for Surak
srmacrina chapter 1 . 5/11/2013
Wonderful as are all the Sarek/Amanda/Spock stories
SrMacrina chapter 1 . 5/1/2013
I've been having a Pat Foley Star Trek BINGE this week and thoroughly enjoying it. I recommend the same to anyone else!
Maritza Manga chapter 1 . 3/19/2013
Wept exactly two frustrations tears... you done good.
kyoko12989 chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Very nice. :)
LettieM chapter 1 . 2/16/2011
Excellent story. I loved it, from the way you demonstrate the complicated dynamic between Sarek and Spock in the context of chess, to the way Amanda deals with her two stubborn Vulcans. I can well understand why she threw the basket of plomeeks at Sarek! Extremely well done, as always. Thank you for the gift of your wonderful writing.
VickyFromGreece chapter 1 . 7/30/2010
Really, REALLY, nobody writes Amanda/Sarek conflicts like you. And this argument in my opinion is not between logic and emotion. They are both right in the way each is presenting their reasons, therefore I doubt one is right and the other wrong. Maybe it is simply a difference in the way they perceive themselves and through them, their child.

It is easy for Sarek and Amanda to reconcile - one of my grandmothers used to say that "at night all couples reconcile (hihihi) so you may fight with your husband but you must NEVER fight with his mother". However it is impossible for their son to follow two quite different examples. Spock must and eventually did choose - Amanda is right saying that Sarek will always be Spock's model.

I also find the... flying plomeek, apart from hilariously funny, very useful for Amanda's psychic health. Living with a Vulcan must really arouse intense (sometimes violent) emotions and she needs such outbursts to just let them steam (I hope my use of words is correct).

Excellent story and since I love happy endings I love this too :-)
Gwen Kathleen chapter 1 . 7/18/2009
Terrific! You continue to explain Spock and his family like no other, while thoroughly entertaining us in the process. You could combine these anthologies and produce a novel on the biography of the hierarchy of the ruling clan of Vulcan!

Please continue to write. I have nearly run out and will have to start re-reading. if you were to write on issues involving Spock and the gang centered around the new universe from movie re-boot, you would have hundreds of reviews from satisfied and happy readers. Such a conclusion is, after all, only logical!
Drifting One chapter 1 . 3/9/2009
That was the best thing I have ever read. You really captured Amanda's sass and spirit, and Sarek's stubborn Vulcan pride.

Thank you for writing!
trecebo chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
I get so infuriated by the Vulcan mentality, but you have Amanda manage so gracefully. Yes, I know she gets verklempt, but she has that tacit understanding that really works well for her.

And the story was good, too.
kris chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
pat, your stories are amazing! its amazing to read something so deap and well-rounded. it shows new level to sarek and spocks relationship. keep going!
Cat chapter 1 . 12/29/2008
Excellent story, as always!

And a Happy New Year to you, too :)
maaliem chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
Hi Pat,

Your Amanda is such a vivid character. I also like how you portay Spock and Sarek. They have such a complicated relationship with high expectations on both sides. Amanda just wants everyone to just be-just get along and be a family. Her two Vulcan's have a much greater need to rise above those considerations and gain a greater level of communication. Not an easy path but the one chosen.

I enjoyed the thought of Spock resorting to his mother's logic in winning the chess matches once his level of logical play had been exceeded. I think that resourcefulness is what kept him alive on his many dangerous experiences on the Enterprise.

Thanks for posting Pat! :-)

Em
KarraCaz chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
Pat, you really shouldn't have! Fancy writing a Sarek and Amanda fic just in time for my birthday. And what a lovely surprise. As usual I hear Amanda speak here as she did in the series, and each move of the dance you have them perform seems right and feasible.. and very logical. Thank you for the gift.
scrimshaw chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
Very thoughtful and insightful look into how chess factors into the Vulcan/Human dynamic that is ever present in Spock, and so well brought to life in your writing on him, Amanda, and Sarek. Amanda's thoughts and feelings provide a great contrast to Sarek's immutability, and the argument over Spock's win (as well as this entire story) sums up their friction, and Spock's eventual friction with Sarek, so well. It shows a very close family who is trying (not always succeeding, but trying) to survive and thrive in very rough conditions. That Spock's definance and eventual revolution is really a form of emulating his father is so more in character for the Vulcan than so many fanfic, that make it about much simpler or more petty issues. And much more complicated to resolve. The final chess game was a great way to end "Babel" (one of my favs) and provides yet another step in the journey toward these two stubborn beings finding some resolution in their relationship.
Scarylady chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
Lovely work; both sad (Sarek and Spock's issues with each other) and funny (because Vulcans generally don't have to deal with vegetable assassins). Another wonderful examination of Sarek and Spock's relationship and where Amanda fits into it (sort-of). :)