Reviews for Failure
MMIX chapter 1 . 2/28/2009
Three words. FAN TAST IC. This was an extremely well-written story that is definitely one of my favorites. Reading this was like eating a piece of dark chocolate with a vague bite of chili that kind of stings the tongue. That's exactly what I thought when I finished this fic. It's bitter, hard, and sharp - but it's also smooth, rich, and amazing. You should be extremely proud of what you've written.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
MaryWhether chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
Catchme21, I applaud you on this exemplary piece of writing. Your characters were sharp, your dialog was snappy and dark, and the whole thing was something I bet the show itself would look into if something that dark were allowed on the CW network.

I think this is a great piece of fiction and I may just have to get an account with this site just so I can add it to my favorites. I'm glad you decided to write and post this (and I'm glad your muse - don't we all have one? - whoever or whatever it may be, sparked it).

Happy New Year!
jasper03 chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
Wow Kris! I think it was perfect. I usually try to step away from these kind of fics, but I know your writing and I like it so I was like okay, I'll try it. Perfectly paced. And you had Sam and Ruby down perfect, even the small bits with Ben and Lisa. I think this is how Sam really was when Dean died. He had lost his best friend, his brother and was absolutely alone. Or so he believed. And I loved the bit about Dean's gun getting stuck. Even after death Dean is saving Sam's life. Great job!

*Hugs*

Katie
Holly Lukeman chapter 1 . 12/28/2008
While I'm not normally a fan of this kind of dark, harsh fanfiction, I find that I found that this story knocked down a mental barrier for me. When I watched the beginning of Supernatural's fourth season and the episode "I Know What You Did Last Summer," I couldn't help but feel they were missing a crucial part of Sam's life while Dean was dead. Sure, his explanation to Dean seemed unpleasant, and it hinted as his drunken, suicidal ways, but I had expected it to be much worse for him. It was different than the "Mystery Spot" incident in that he had no real hope of getting Dean back. When I read your story, it kind of clicked. You used the right situation, the right dialog, and the right everything else to explain Sam. Even your use of Ruby propelled the story forward, especially Sam's declaration that she has no say in when or if he chooses to end his life.

To sum it all up, I thought this was a fantastic story. While the gritty bitterness of the story stung, it was the right kind of sting. It showed how broken Sam was, and how he'd had to endure his own kind of hell. In the end, you did a good job of showing that the only reason he stayed alive was because of Dean; Dean's gun wouldn't kill him, and if Sam died there really was no hope of Dean returning.

In most stories with this level of bleakness, they tend to overdo the upsetting aspects just to be upsetting. You didn't even toe the line. The dialog and description you used reflected Sam's thoughts really well. This was a story very attuned to Sam's character during that period.

Also, I agree with you about really angsty writing - it does have a cathartic effect, doesn't it?

Well done.