Reviews for Desolation Dreamed Of
Billy4Me chapter 18 . 2/28
This story was beautiful from beginning to end. It was, of course, wonderfully written. I loved your word choices, and your descriptions of the emotions involved was fantastic. Erik is always the character who makes or breaks a story for me, and your Erik did not disappoint. You never tried to make him better than he is (he was a murderer and a conniving and malicious schemer, after all!). But you kept the best part of his character (his love for Christine) at the forefront, and that is what redeems him in the end, with his willingness to sacrifice his own desires for what will make her happy. I loved this Christine as well; the strength of character that she developed over the course of the story made her a worthy match for Erik. Thanks for writing this. I have pretty high standards to "favorite" a story, but this one certainly earned its way onto my list!
Boydje822 chapter 13 . 12/16/2014
God... I literally thought I couldn't possibly hate Raoul any more than I already did... Looks like you just proved me wrong :)
HellaPhantom chapter 7 . 7/29/2014
Firstly, may I say that this and all the rest of your writing is awesome. Wonderful premise, fantastically executed.

Second... Aida was first performed in 1871, wouldn't the setting of this fic be too early for that?
Bergamotte chapter 18 . 3/28/2013
The only way Erik and Christine can start a new life, free from notoriety and harassment, is to leave Paris far behind. We as readers are kept at a respectful distance. We are not told much of their new life. They continue with their music. Christine is offered and accepts the chance for cataract surgery, after which she has at least light perception vision. Obviously, Erik wants her to see and to be happy. Perhaps he wishes her to see his face before asking her to marry him.

We are allowed to write our own ending, so here is mine. Having vision will not substantially change the circumstances of Christine's life. She will feel joy at being able to see the world and navigate better in it. Erik and his adored Christine, having found each other and saved each other, will marry and will live happily together for as long as they both shall live.

We are never told what Christine looks like, are we? I guess that's another element that we are allowed to fill in for ourselves. It seems so appropriate that a blind woman leads Erik into the light.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Pointless Nostalgia, for this story.
Bergamotte chapter 17 . 3/28/2013
My favorite chapter in this story; one of my favorite chapters in phanphiction. Erik helps Christine prepare for the role of Aminta as though nothing had happened to separate them. Nothing is more important to him than giving her this success. The joy of seeing his work come to fruition is secondary.

Pointless Nostalgia, brava, brava, bravissima, dear authoress, you did better than Andrew Lloyd Webber. Your Don Juan Triumphant set with the caged songbird is stunningly original. The opera can only be overwhelming for Christine, who silently wrestles with inner epiphanies as she moves through her role and prepares to make a choice. The duet for Don Juan and Aminta is a poetic tapestry as beautiful as Shakespeare and rich with Erik's unspoken passion for Christine. Christine's final piece was so lovely that I wish I could hear it sung.

I say, Christine could not have chosen differently. Only a statue could be immune to the message of this opera.
Bergamotte chapter 16 . 3/28/2013
If I may make a guess on what Erik wants to tell Christine, why he lied about the eye surgery and what he fears: that she will leave him if she ever sees his face. His life experience has taught him no one can love such a face.

Erik doesn't share with Christine that he was coerced to murder for the Persian royal family . . . that he didn't commit atrocities because he wanted to, but because he would have died had he refused. We know he was coerced, but Christine doesn't know, and it doesn't seem to matter to her. She argues passionately that he's so much better than his recent actions . . . believing in him as he believes in her. And perhaps he realizes he's being given another chance.
Bergamotte chapter 15 . 3/28/2013
Perhaps nothing less than the death of the new prima donna could have forced Christine to return to the domain of the man who unforgiveably lied to her. To prevent any further deaths, she knows she has no choice but to return to the opera house and star in his opera.
Bergamotte chapter 14 . 3/28/2013
The Viscount just won't give up. He fills her ear with stories about Erik. Interesting . . . Christine can accept the news that Erik is a killer, better than she can accept that Erik lied to her about something of life-changing importance. She allows the interfering boy to take her home to his mansion.
Bergamotte chapter 13 . 3/28/2013
Erik tries to teach Christine to sing Marguerite's arias without her knowing the Faust storyline. But he can't keep this knowledge from her; he has to tell her it's a story of passion and seduction. (In the 2004 movie and in this chapter, we see Christine breathing faster when Erik approaches, mmm.) While rehearsing they become overwhelmed by the music and are drawn together like magnets. As usual whenever Erik finds himself too close to Christine, he runs for the hills. Raoul finds Christine crying as if abandoned and again he totally misunderstands her. The foolish fop goes to M. Giry bearing false accusations against Erik.

Erik needs to say the three little words that Christine is longing to hear. But there are drama and conflict still to come.
Bergamotte chapter 12 . 3/28/2013
I have to admit to confusion about the first paragraph. Erik and Christine are inseparable now, spending some cherished quiet time together each evening on the roof. "When light became discernible" sounds like morning. But maybe it means when the lights outside the opera house are lit to welcome people to the nighttime performance.

The fop takes his best shot at scaring Christine away from Erik and fails. If anything, his attempt actually brings Christine closer to Erik. E and C forever! Christine questions Erik on the same topic he had discussed earlier with Nadir, and she receives a guarded answer . . . but we know Erik continues to think about it when they part. After all, he adores this woman.
Bergamotte chapter 11 . 3/28/2013
This is a sweet, old-fashioned romance, where the hero and heroine call each other "ma mie" (my love) and he kisses her on the forehead. Erik does nothing inappropriate. He is redeeming himself.

Why does Raoul think that by intimidating Christine's friends he can win her? Can't, shouldn't . . . won't.
Bergamotte chapter 10 . 3/28/2013
Our poor blind seamstress is now the toast of Paris. Erik gives Christine the praise she deserves, she declares her wish to continue lessons with him, and he wisely cedes some of his control over her. She also puts silly Raoul firmly in his place. It's all good!
Bergamotte chapter 9 . 3/28/2013
Bless our dear Nadir for coming to tell Erik what he needed to be told. I don't know whether Erik cries in shame or because he fears he'll lose Christine. Perhaps both.

Christine now realizes what Erik has accomplished for her career, and that Raoul had nothing to do with her success. Her head is held high. You go, girl!

Suggested edit: "The girl…She's blind?" to be replaced by "The girl, does she have cataracts?" Then Nadir's next statement makes more sense. Blindness from cataract can usually be cured through surgery, but not all types of blindness are curable through surgery.
Bergamotte chapter 8 . 3/28/2013
We see how warped Erik's mind is, he thinks to earn Christine's love by breaking the legs of her competition. Erik and Raoul are embroiled in a battle, not only for Christine's love, but to control her. At this point, neither man deserves her.
Bergamotte chapter 7 . 3/28/2013
The feeling I have, reading the first part of this chapter, is that it's cruel for Erik to have this girl so totally in his control and in an unfamiliar place. He feels guilt when he realizes her fear of the situation. She doesn't fear him, but should she?

"Christine slowly felt herself being lost to the music." May I suggest that Christine actually found herself when she focused on music? Perhaps what was lost to the music was her connection to the outside world?

In the lair, Christine no longer chatters with her angel. She's silent except when they're working; can he possibly want that? On the stage, he pushes her relentlessly through training and ignores her fatigue until she rebels. We always reap what we sow . . .