Reviews for The Key to the Past lies in the Future
P.A.W.07 chapter 12 . 10/19/2010
I do love this. You are pulling off Zurg rather well, incorporating the humor we love him for as well as adding some mystery to his character; such as his past. For some reason my mind is connecting the Shade and the crystal girl from the dream... are they the same person? Then there is the question of Buzz finally being pushed a little to far, the prison seen was a nice leading point up to his rogue actions presently. I think that will be an interesting interaction when Zurg and him finally meet up.

Other characters, I rather love XR in this. He's such a little pervert which fits him too perfectly. Plus we got to see Ty for a short while; a character I rather admire since he was the wire-wolf. And Warp... can we ever get enough Warp? No, not really. XD

The plot line itself is intriguing. I will admit I was a little weary with the crystal girl factor in the begging thinking that it was a OC/Zurg romance, but the action in the story lead me elsewhere.

Any way, love it so far, the BLoSC section really needs more dedicated writers such as you self. Zurg is such an interesting villain; yes, he says that he wants to conquer the galaxy but some times I really wonder if he does. He seems far to technologically and physically powerful not to get what he wants.
P.A.W.07 chapter 5 . 10/18/2010
Oh wow... this chapter was something... especially with XR questioning Zurg's gender or gender orientations. Poor Buzz, poor poor Buzz. XD

Anyway, I'm off the next chapter.
Mighty Agamemnon chapter 11 . 10/4/2009
OMG! I LOVE this story! I LOVE Zurg! But I figured that there weren't alot of stories about him or they haven't been updated. SO please, PLEASE update! You portray all the characters so perfectly! I look forward to reading more!
Zurg is the daddy chapter 11 . 5/26/2009
Hurry up and update!
Remnant42 chapter 1 . 1/13/2009
MOAR! Planet Z lackeys demand MOAR!

Really, they do...they'll go on strike if they don't, and let me tell you, grubs are tenacious buggers...Literally!

I love your fic! It's funny, it's zany, and most importantly, it's got ZURG! HURR DURR! You do him so well! He's bungling, evil, extremely confident, purple-obsessed, evil, and oh what else...did I mention evil already? Oh one more won't hurt! He's evil! There! A terrific recipe for IC-cake, even though it's not Cake Day!

Keep it up, and I'm itching to know what this Shade is! Such mystery 'shadowed in darkness', HAH!
cruiser42 chapter 9 . 1/12/2009
Another great chapter. Keep up the good work : )
Aleine Skyfire chapter 9 . 1/12/2009
~~“No kidding,” XR laid on the cynicism. “There’s no signal, no message, no apparent reason; it’s like the makings of a horror movie, and the comedic relief is always the first to go!” He rolled around in circles, “I don’t want to be reduced to shrapnel!”

“Someone kick that overexcited wad of wires out before he hurts himself,” Nebula groaned.~~

XD XR and XL were great!

Poor Mira AND Shade! :(

New update by the end of the week, yes? Yeah, I know... that's rich coming from ME, right? ;D
cruiser42 chapter 8 . 1/8/2009
Please update soon - I love this story!
Aleine Skyfire chapter 7 . 1/3/2009
Okay, I review you, you review me... I like this system! XD

Buzz's "final message"... that was great. No, it was more than great - it was beautiful. For Buzz to reveal so much of his heart... very powerful.

And, hey! you used Fop Doppler's line, too! Was that because you read my fic, or did you just do that on your own?

So far, you've had Buzz have a love for Ozma, but are you really going to go anywhere with pairings? Say, maybe... Buzz/Mira? Ah, I'm sorry - I just HAD to ask!

Shade is interesting... she's a Zephyr, isn't she. Is she the one who scared XR?

~~“I SAID PRAISE!” Zurg commanded.

“I’m praising, I’m praising!”~~

XD From there to 29 panicking - aw man, that is SO hilarious!
Aleine Skyfire chapter 6 . 1/3/2009
To start off, Buzz's neighbor is Mr. Hamon (or maybe it's Hamons, one or the other P). And was that Ed delivering the package?

I like 29, poor pod! And I love Zurg trying to drive - that's great! And the way Zurg keeps correcting 29 on how to address him... XD

"MWAHA HA ha ha—enough of that." XD
Aleine Skyfire chapter 5 . 1/3/2009
Zurg in a safari costume... lol! I can actually SEE him wearing that!
Aleine Skyfire chapter 4 . 1/3/2009
“And they say I’m the monster.”

Wow... That is just SO powerful. This memory scene is just SO heartbreaking - poor Zurg!

The whole "going to Cosmo's" thing was really funny! (Although, for future reference, I don't think XR would ever be THAT perverted - even if he THOUGHT something like that, I think he'd know better than to SAY it. Just a thought.)
cruiser42 chapter 7 . 1/2/2009
This is a really cool story. I thought the argument between Nebula and Buzz was quite funny. Please update soon.

p.s. try not to make Buzz so goofy lol!
Aleine Skyfire chapter 3 . 12/31/2008
Hmm, I think I'll start by saying, first off, that this is REALLY getting good. (I like Miles. D) And the way you're tying Planets Z and X together - cool!

Also, um, I do believe I can see where you're headed with the whole Zurg-Buzz thing... D Seriously, though, if you DO go in that direction, take care to keep them IN CHARACTER. I cannot stress that enough! I really would not recommend Engineer Jess's Zurg-Buzz stories for inspiration because she takes them pretty far OOC, and I think I even saw her once say that somewhere. Just rely on your own imagination and what you know of the characters from the show.

I think you capture Zurg's eccentric personality pretty well perfectly - kudos! But when Zurg is thinking out loud to himself by the blue cylinder, it might work better if you changed those spoken thoughts to simple narration - you know, third person. It's just that I can't really see Zurg exactly talking like that. *shrugs* Just a thought.

Booster and XR are IC, and Warp... not exactly how I would write him, but he IS a character left a bit more to fan interpretation. That being said, I think you write him well.

Mira... something about her felt a little off. For one thing, she explodes when Buzz gives her an order? Mira Nova takes orders, even if she doesn't like them - she's a soldier, that's what she's supposed to do. Remember "Conspiracy," when Commander Nebula tells her that she has to hunt down Buzz Lightyear, and that Buzz has to be considered a fugitive. She argues the point because she believes Buzz is innocent, but she also salutes and obeys when she is ordered. Even in the movie/pilot, Buzz orders her off Planet Z, and even though she tries to fight it, she eventually obeys, however grudgingly.

Buzz also seems a bit off. For one thing, I know that Buzz CAN be dense sometimes, but he wouldn't have been confused about "greener pastures." I think the man is more intelligent than some fans give him credit for. He can be quick-thinking and even sensitive - in "Holiday Time," it's his immediate idea to use the hyperspeed accelerator against Zurg; in "Supernova," you can see how hurt he is by Mira snapping at him. For crying out loud, even in "Opposites Attract," the man is trying to COMFORT Gravitina, not just a villain but the woman who tried to ruin his life because of her obsession with him!

I think that, in writing Buzz, it's better to err on the side of caution. Keep him intelligent and not-so-dense (definitely give him a few moments, but don't integrate it into his personality). For inspiration on writing his character, I recommend SLWatson's BLoSC fics - without question, the best writer in the fandom, and definitely the best writer of Buzz's character. She writes him as a tough but sensitive, intelligent hardcore cop - and the thing is, he's perfectly IC!

Okay, that's all - and I'm sure that's enough. ;D But really, I wouldn't be giving you this long review if I didn't really like your story, and I do!
Aleine Skyfire chapter 2 . 12/29/2008
Wow, interesting! Finally, a fic devoted to Zurg's history - I can't wait to see how it turns out! Please update soon!