Reviews for Shame
Andromakhe chapter 1 . 8/17/2013
Yes. I remember that scene. Paris running away. Even I felt sort of sorry for Helen then, but I never had much love for either her or Paris. What's interesting is that Hector runs from Achilles, but the situation is totally different. Hector knows Achilles is vengeful. Achilles is not a warrior but a rabid animal. Hector is brave, sometimes recklessly so, but he does have a sense of danger. I think Paris looks bad because we know that confrontation with Menelaus was for pride, whereas with Hector, we see he loves his family and his home. It's much easier to view Hector as merely being prudent. Good contrast. And loved the line about Hector and Andromache not always feeling desire, but the desire burning satisfyingly and enduringly when it did happen. Good work.
bookcoverstore chapter 1 . 6/16/2013
Very Homeric in its style. Thought provoking in its substance. I enjoyed this very much.
KrnYong chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
I agree with Helen. When Paris fell down and crawled back to Hector like a dog, I cringed in embarrassment for him.

-_-
Miggyrow chapter 1 . 4/26/2011
I still don't feel any kind of pity for her. It does shade her in a new light though, one who make us closer to her own ugly and weak appearance. She is human too, I guess. She can't help being that failure of a queen. Very nicely written !
ThorinKiliandFili4ever chapter 1 . 1/27/2010
A great story. Very well written.
letyoursoultakeflight chapter 1 . 11/2/2009
Really really well written! Love it :)
Mango Schmango chapter 1 . 3/7/2009
Thanks for writing this. You actually made me feel sympathy for Helen! Finally i have found another author who has done a nuanced portrayal of Menelaus and Helen that is more in keeping with the actual Iliad, not that travesty of a movie Troy, which basically raped Homer's literary genius. Well done!
PrincessJordy chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
That was really good. I liked reading the struggle Helen is going through on the inside. Maybe you could even write more, because I would be intersted in reading it. :)
ConcreteHole chapter 1 . 12/30/2008
I never thought that I could feel any kind of pity for Helen, but you've done a wonderful job capturing it! (This is purely for Iliad Helen though! The Diane Kruger version can suck my - never mind!:P).

I wanted to smack Paris myself a few good many times as well, and I certainly imagine Helen was feeling in the same position! Great job with the old flame for Menelaus and the references to Andromache and Hectors love being so much powerful than their's. I loved it, and it was so so true as well. Their love I believed would have lasted their whole lives - not so much Paris/Helen.

Not to bad for something you pulled out from under your bed! (OK, I lied - pretty damn awesome actually! :P) Great job!