Reviews for Betting on a Fairytale Ending
anatoots chapter 1 . 5/30/2013
I'm not an avid fan of Final Fantasy but you did a good job on laying the background for me. Off to the next Chapter.
Cheratomo chapter 19 . 2/6/2013
"My instructor once told me of a word, but fuck that word because I forgot what it was, that there is this something innate in nature about men having this trait about always finding this qualification in a woman, a damsel in distress, before actually considering of courting her since men cannot stand to be involved with a woman who intimidates them. They need to find this assurance that the woman is in need of a knight in shining armor because it's good for their ego."

This idea is extremely old fashioned, chauvinistic, and inaccurate, but not entirely untrue. The truth in the idea your instructor was trying to tell you was that what men want in women (and women want in their men, like as not) is vulnerability. If you see someone as completely infallible all the time, it means they aren't letting you in and letting you get to know them. Quistis saying "I trust you," is vulnerability. Her being hurt and crying and trusting Seifer to be there for her and make it better is vulnerability and trust. That's what anyone needs to fall in love with anyone else- someone who loves, trusts, and is vulnerable with them.

The idea your teacher had was trying to get at that, but was phrased in a really bad way. A "damsel in distress" is not what anyone wants because that's similar to having a full grown adult human being who you have to take care of, almost like you're their parent. I've asked all the guys that I know, and basically they always say, "No, I do not want someone I have to take care of- I want a wife, not a child." They want a woman who trusts them and isn't afraid to let him help her, completely true, and they want to care for her- but they don't want a damsel in distress, they don't want to have to take care of her. Most of the guys I've talked to, especially the ones with girlfriends, actively balk at the idea. They like their girlfriends having lives of their own and taking care of most of their problems. A lot of them honestly like the fact that their girlfriends can sometimes be intimidating and stronger than they are. It makes them feel proud, just as much as having someone there who needs you (as your instructor said) would.

If a man has to have a woman who needs his protection in order to feel good about himself, that's not just unhealthy behavior for a relationship in general (you should never base your sense of self-worth on anyone else EVER) but also sexist. So keep that in mind. It's not the damsel in distress or the weak-woman-I-must-take-care-of that they want. It's vulnerability. You can be strong, forceful, intimidating, and vulnerable. Often, those are the most attractive women to men. -shrug-
Cheratomo chapter 5 . 2/5/2013
"She asked Squall to come along with her to the Infirmary for her check up, teasing that she might be pregnant."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD SHE WOULD THOUGH

Your characterization- Normally I hate Rinoa, even in the games. Her personality is very different in the English localization that it is in the original Japanese script. I feel like this Rinoa that you're writing is closer to how she was supposed to be, and I actually like her. :3 Good job. Sometimes writers don't have talent with writing anyone other than the romantic couple and it gets boring, but with you I'm interested in reading about all the characters. also, you keep your story focused mostly on action instead of stopping it with deep contemplation about things. (Some fics go like this: "Seifer was laying in bed, watching TV. After he'd entered the room, he had changed out of his clothes and was now flipping through the channels think about what had just passed. He never thought that something like this would happen, and now he wasn't sure how he felt about it..." It's fine for what it is, but really boring when all your paragraphs are like that. Backtracking and introspection do not a story make. They have their place, but are not the basis of a story. So... good job. again. .)
Cheratomo chapter 4 . 2/5/2013
I have to say, I've been reading your fic and while it's not the best grammatically or with sentence structure (as fics we write when we're younger tend to be) it is the best in characterization that I've seen in a while. Most fics just portray Selphie as either not as hyper/happy/busybody as she actually is, or as WAY too hyper for who she actually is. Similarly with Zell, most fics just have him being crazy, loud, hyperactive and always overreacting, or understated and somewhat colorless. You've struck the balance of their personalities, and that's saying a lot coming from me (Selphie is my absolute favorite and I've dissected her personality so many different times it's not even funny... more depressing). So I just wanted to say congratulations. Although your writing isn't the best (and again, I don't really think this is too big of a deal) your characterization and the way the tone of your fic is uniform really make it something special. In other words, good job! xD You definitely have talent. I can't wait to finish this one so I can start on the unofficial sequel (and check out any other stories you have)!
Franny Mika chapter 18 . 5/24/2011
What a beautiful story! (though cliched and somewhat predictable ending) The characterisation is pretty close to the originals, so good job! To me though, some parts could have been fleshed out further, like the workshops they did for the play, maybe even the first singing session for Quistis and Seifer?

Anyway, keep it up!
lila chapter 19 . 12/13/2010
hahahaha, the shotgun wedding part killed me hahahaahha
FairoNeko chapter 19 . 9/17/2010
Uh...

Seifer is dead?
FoxKIT 101 chapter 19 . 9/16/2010
Beautiful story :)

Thats all I can say _
with vine leaves in his hair chapter 18 . 8/12/2010
You really got me into wanting to read the "Beauty and the beast" now (if it's a book? or maybe it's simply in a collection of fairytales? I've never actually read it, though I know what the story is about. I’m hoping that it’s novel-length, but I know better than to keep my hopes high on this).

Gee, I really liked this story - it's 3:10 am, and I've been reading this all night - it caught my attention from the first line and kept it till the last – that’s how much I liked it.

Before reading this, I liked Seifer. Now, I'm almost positive you had me squeal fan-girlishy at least a hundred times (and laughing too! for there were many funny moments, especially the ones involving the bet). Yup, I'm a fangirl (yet again...).

The last few chapters were a bit cheesy, and I thought that I'd stop liking this story so much, because I'd relate them to the Hollywood romantic comedies (which are like: girl meets boy, they're quite the pair, girl out-wits boy, they fall in love, cue to some cheesy, unrealistic love confession that MUST be seen by the whole world, if possible), because of the ending (Garden seeing the love-confession part), but surprisingly it had just the right amount of… cheesiness, and I have to say that this is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than all those cheesy Hollywood romantic comedies (I would have given you examples, but they’re simply too forgettable and I can’t quite recall any of the names). This however was perfect. I could imagine, most of the time, how this really could happen in the game. I mean, you kept the characters so… in-character, it was lovely.

I congratulate you on your wonderful work.

PS: the rating, however, isn’t very well - matched to the contents of the fic, probably it should be at least T (not that I mind reading those king of stories, but there might be some 13 years old Seifer fangirls, who’d simply squeal and blush and be very awkward when they read particular parts [especially the ones from chapter 15])

I’m thinking about adding your story to ‘my favorites’ (not many make me write this long a review, at 3 am after all).

Have an awesome day!
Bert8813 chapter 18 . 6/6/2010
wonderful story i loved every sentence of it! all the fluffy moments gave me butterflies!
Jacen Starslayer chapter 18 . 5/19/2010
I really liked your story. Growing up Beauty and the Beast was my favorite movie, and seeing some of my favorite characters acting it out only made it better. I'm not a big fan of Seifer and Quistis, [I love Selphie's character paired up with either an OC, Seifer or Squall (when he's not an ass) since I doubt Irvine's Loyalty] but your story was well-written, and I enjoyed every chapter from beginning to end.
ff8 superfan chapter 17 . 5/7/2010
wow...how i loved the final chapter. i even searched the song beauty and the beast on youtube and played it simultaneously while reading this..good job! D
FullOfSugar chapter 17 . 9/6/2009
Incredibly sweet :)

Very well written and original in the way that contrary to the fanfics I've already read about this pairing, they usually aren't that great friends and no one would see them together, here it was the total contrary XD

I liked the fairytale theme and the way you made them both appear like dreamers (which they are) without them looking dumb lol.

All the characters were great and the erotic scene was... wow... HAWT :p I don't know how to say it but it was full of... something... emotion? Something strong in any case.

The only little down would be in my opinion that we don't see Quistis and Zell reconciliate. It might have been tactless of him to lock the two in the same room but it kinda helped in the end, right? So yeah, the poor guy got a hard slap and Seifer nothing XD

Anyway, sweet story, sweet as sugar :p
bydneley chapter 17 . 8/30/2009
i enjoyed reading ur fic thx for makin it. seiftis _
justpeaches chapter 17 . 8/2/2009
aw is this the end?

and so the beast was tamed. Perfect line!

aw what a sweet chapter! coated with sugarness

they are so cute and wonderful together

aw i'm so toucheD!