Reviews for One For Sorrow, Two For Joy
LittleLurker chapter 1 . 5/10/2009
I loved this story. So many brilliant metaphors and the environment you chose for the hunt... just great: about as desolate and cold as the relationship between the brothers.

The descriptions I liked best:

"His breath hitched, and no scream could voice torment more brutally."

"He slid down the hood until his shoulder brushed against Dean’s. There was nothing else to offer that his brother would take. Sam knew that. Dean didn’t pull away, and that was enough for the moment.

They sat in silence, steeping in awkwardness and pain and comfort. Words would only get in the way."

"Sam thanked his lucky stars for small brains as the creature..."

"It did nothing to stave off Dean’s bitching, of course, but Sam wouldn’t have it any other way. Moments like these were almost pure Dean, with only trace amounts of regretful haunting his eyes."

"...something that suggested Dean was disappointed he still had his head. He didn’t know what to do with that, like he didn’t know what to do with anything about Dean these days. He felt like a miserable failure, unable to do something as simple as assure Dean he was worth it. Worth saving, worth living."

"From the bathroom, the sound of Dean’s off-key singing was replaced by silence. Dean didn’t sing anymore. Sam found he missed it tremendously."

"He tried to imagine thirty years of torture and ten years of torturing and couldn’t. He tried not to hate a god who could let that happen to his brother and couldn’t quite manage."

"Alastair’s face flashed in front of Sam, conniving and smug. He tried to picture Dean like that, the quintessential torturer in training, and he couldn’t do it. He looked at his brother, whose face was blank but not blank, broken. Always suffering now."

"Sam thought about Uriel telling him in that arrogant, judgmental voice to ask Dean what he remembered from Hell, what he’d done there. Sam thought about Dean telling him what he’d done in Hell, in that broken, self-judgmental voice and wishing for the peace of numbness."

...and I just loved their entire end-dialog and your beautiful interpretations of their behaviour, starting with: "It doesn’t help, you know, feeling nothing. It doesn’t help at all,” Sam said suddenly."

...until here: "It wasn’t much, but it was something."

Wow, and now after copy-pasting almost the entire story, I shut up, well except for one other thing that I noticed only after reading the story. Yeah, sometimes I jump right in and read any bold print or italics at the beginning only as an afterthought, but I did like the quote from "The Innocence Mission" - it's excellent and so very fitting for the brothers.

Keep up your good work!
graceofgod chapter 1 . 3/11/2009
That may have been a mistake - reading a H&H tag whie listening to a sad song. NOT a good idea!

Beautiful little one-shot, hun, the environment fits the desolate fragility of their relationship and souls at the moment. (Jesus. Desolate fragility. *sigh* See what you've done?)

You really caught their voices in this, and the silence. Every word they say speaks volumes, from talking about Hell to that lonely little scene in the bar. The only time they talk as much as they used to is in the middle of the hunt, and it sounds perfectly faked, every word suddenly, carefully meaningless - chatting about the weather, for chrissakes. Poor boys.

Love the parallel and dichotomy between Uriel and Dean:

Such a great way to contast between angelic smugness, and Dean's self-loathing at the moment - Uriel is a real bastard, isn't he? So want him to get his come-uppance.

Great stuff, hun, ass always! Now off to get some more tissues. *wibbles*
Zatnikatel chapter 1 . 3/3/2009
This is incredible... so much depth and character development buried in the hunt! The perfect oneshot always combines these elements.

These espcially:

'If Dean was broken, then so was Sam. They were a damned textbook case of codependency.'

'They fell into silence that these days was more awkward than comfortable, neither of them able to address their issues. Sam was tired of it, his insides felt hollowed out and no amount of Dean back in his life was filling the hole inside him. It scared him, for himself and for Dean. He wanted his brother back, that cocky, assured guy who knew without a shadow of a doubt he was fighting the good fight. He feared it was an impossible dream now, but he clung to it.'

'Sam didn’t want to drink, but he sat at the bar, ordered a shot of whiskey, didn’t drink it and thought. He tried to imagine thirty years of torture and ten years of torturing and couldn’t. He tried not to hate a god who could let that happen to his brother and couldn’t quite manage.'

'Alastair’s face flashed in front of Sam, conniving and smug. He tried to picture Dean like that, the quintessential torturer in training, and he couldn’t do it. He looked at his brother, whose face was blank but not blank, broken. Always suffering now...

...Sam thought about Uriel telling him in that arrogant, judgmental voice to ask Dean what he remembered from Hell, what he’d done there. Sam thought about Dean telling him what he’d done in Hell, in that broken, self-judgmental voice and wishing for the peace of numbness.'

Beautiful dude...this is definitely going in my favorites. Work beckons now but I'll be catching up with your other stories, stat... ;-)
jenilee chapter 1 . 1/30/2009
Great story. Heartbreaking to see how broken our boys have become.

I loved this- "From the back of the little bar, the clatter of cue balls and series of mocking shouts echoed. To Sam, it sounded like the ghosts of Winchesters past."

and this- "Standing, Dean tossed his bottle the same direction Sam had. It hit Sam’s, shattering them both."
bhoney chapter 1 . 1/12/2009
Loved the quote you pulled the title from, especially this part: "The soul of my brother is pure though he doesn’t think so. Oh, one for sorrow, oh, one for sorrow, two for joy." It is so fitting for the Winchesters, it is uncanny. Brilliant find!

Lovely description: "Evil clung to Sam like a shroud he couldn’t tear off".

This was a brilliant bit of metaphor: "Standing, Dean tossed his bottle the same direction Sam had. It hit Sam’s, shattering them both." beautifully illustrating this: "If Dean was broken, then so was Sam."

This made me smile: "most wackos are about four notches away from us on the sanity scale."

And I have often observed this to be true: "there was always a grain of truth in jokes." There's actually an interesting statistic about that that I'm always sharing with people.

And I definitely found this to be true, though I actually hate that either thing happened: "Sam was the guy who slept with a demon and that was crazier than Dean sleeping with an angel."

Sam mentions a "Yellowboy"-what is that?

I loved this: "running into the fray before the thing dragged off his only living everything. All he had left in this craphole of a world was being eaten by a gigantic alligator monster." Almost funny, but also heart-wrenching.

LOVED this: "because he was determined to be on heaven’s side, even if that meant death".

And this created such an atmosphere of melancholy it was palpable: "From the back of the little bar, the clatter of cue balls and series of mocking shouts echoed. To Sam, it sounded like the ghosts of Winchesters past. They couldn’t go back now, but it didn’t stop him from longing to sometimes."

Loved that the boys were able to find a little bit of joy. This was very well-written. Great job!
Stompy Bigfoot chapter 1 . 1/8/2009
that was so season 4 sam and dean

great writing
pickamix chapter 1 . 1/5/2009
This is how Dean should be acting... it bothers me that on the show for the most part he is just normal old Dean.

I think you did very well with this story. I like how you have Sam trying to comfort his brother and feeling useless when he can't.

I even liked the subplot of the alligator thingy. So well done all over.
Psychee chapter 1 . 1/5/2009
The story, though painful, was a joy to read. Thank you.
annie200 chapter 1 . 1/5/2009
Really enjoyed this, and it seems like a logical follow-on to Heaven and Hell. As much as both brothers feel unworthy themselves their love for each other is constant whatever happens and you conveyed those feelings very well in this story.
Chiiyo86 chapter 1 . 1/5/2009
"One for sorrow, two for joy". Beautiful title for a beautiful story. I like that it takes Sam the whole one shot to know what to say to Dean's confession, that not to feel isn't the answer, that Dean is not evil because evil people don't have remorse. And Sam's right, at least they're both alive.

Thank you!
Linnie McCary chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
My goodness, woman, you're on quite a bender with these downers lately, eh? But this one was beautiful, as well, which was obvious from the very first 'graph:

"When it came to Dean, he could never seem to be more wrong.

'Dean,' he said when he finally had enough in him to speak."

M, just lovely. And then the end of the first section just really broke my heart:

'We should get going,' Dean said after a minute, though, sounding weary. Old.

Though Dean wasn’t looking, Sam nodded. They had nowhere to go, but nowhere was better than here."

It seemed really perfect for them, in the awful place they found themselves at the end of 4.10.

Fabulous observation, too, about Dean looking faded from the winter. Loved that whole 'graph, in fact, as well as the one when they hear the Alkali approaching. Great, sudden turmoil, there, followed with the wonderfully dry, "This is you handling it for two minutes?" Then I got another cynical laugh out of Dean's retort. Such macabre humor!

Such a melancholy toast, there at the end. Really lovely job sustaining a bittersweet tone throughout.
Zubeneschamali chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
I liked this a lot. It struck me at the end of "Wishful Thinking" how each of the brothers has now said there's something about them that the other can't possibly understand, and your continuation of the "Heaven and Hell" scene brings that out beautifully. Loved the line about the supernatural world being in a recession, too. Lovely final image with a reminder that both of them being alive is why they've both made huge sacrifices in the past (and will probably continue to?). Great story!
staceycj chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
I hope Dean realizes sometime or the other what his worth really is. Good story.
Ster1 chapter 1 . 1/4/2009
Oh, wonderfully done! Dean so broken and Sam so desperate to make it better...oh, boys...