Reviews for Shades of Truth
Reader chapter 2 . 3/26/2012
Fantastic story! I love the mystery you have built up, the dilemma faced by Matt about investigating Logan's claims, and the start of their interactions. Please continue this story. It has really great potential, and it would be a shame to leave it unfinished!
All-thumbs Shy chapter 2 . 9/25/2011
(well, that was dumb! Hit "submit" when I was looking just to switch back to the story ... ::headdesk:: No idea what was there because didn't get to go back to proofread! :P

...so anyway... continuing the review...)

Along with that last quote (!) other phrases that said so much were "Cale acknowledged the question with a quick smirk, wry and resigned as if he'd long given up rebelling against a name that must be belittling coming from his self-important father" and (producing a need to hug Logan) "the barely grown-up young man who judged the present by brittle, fading childhood memories."

Also a nice touch that Logan's alibi involved electronics & hacking ... think Matt will remember that when Eyes Only first appears on the scene? (Extra proof of my theory that Matt had him figured out as EO by the time we met the 2019 Logan.)

I always love the feel of your fic, that its a lush, sensory experience that guides the reader into a very full picture of events. I love the beginning of this beautiful friendship, and hope Logan and Matt have lots more adventures between this and S1! :} Thanks for this Christmas in July update...
shywr1ter chapter 2 . 9/25/2011
Once again, thinking that the review I wrote in my head while reading was actually sent. Bucketsful of apologies, especially for such an engaging, rich scene!

Young(er) Logan is always worth millions, and who better to show us new insights than a cop, one with enough heart that he later joins the Informant Net to fight corruption in the system he serves? Love Matt, love Logan, and really love your bringing them together in a way that gives them at least years of history together. (I don't remember anyone giving us a backstory for Matt before, do you?) Matt's observations in the first chapter & here are so great, and the scene is so clear I can just see how it would have been played out on the screen.

Favorite phrases: "the tangle of hurt and loyalties that was family"
Long Live BRUCAS chapter 2 . 9/21/2011
Just got into watching and reading Dark Angel. A lot of Logan's character traits in the show and stories have carried over to NCIS/Tony and are similar.

I am loving Dark Angel so far.

I love how you have him and Snug meet. He seem so shy and quiet but has that wanting to do right.

Hope you continue
BlueAngel137 chapter 2 . 8/28/2011
Hey Mari, I like it a lot! You capture the mood and young Logan's character perfectly - exactly how I would've imagined him - thoughtful, standing up for the ones he loves.

Thanks for sharing.
Maria656 chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
Reviewing out of order - Very nice beginning and POV.

Marie Antoinette reference: " the chasm between those who blithely enjoyed cake while all the others hungered for bread." I noticed as soon as I read it and was thinking 'off with Jonas' head'.

Keep up the good work!
Maria656 chapter 2 . 8/20/2011
I'm enjoying this so far - Great idea on how Logan & Sung met.

Looks good - can't wait for more.
Victoriam Speramus chapter 2 . 8/19/2011
Whan an interesting sight! Not only I enjoyed the differetn focus of this story, but the moment to chose to describe. I like how Matt has his own conclusions about this case, even is slightly annoyed to deal with this family that has it all easy, but gets interested when he meet Logan, drawn by all this tiny deatils that seem off for an average spoiled rich kid.
Shy chapter 2 . 8/18/2011
Oh, excellent! More young, lanky, brooding Logan! So glad to see this!

Will come drool properly over the weekend. Thanks for keeping the Christmas in July (& August)alive... ;}
shywr1ter chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
This has got to be the latest review ever. Does it count if it took so long 'cos I needed to find to pay it the proper, fitting review it deserves?

Great to see another of DA's regulars find a backstory, and even better that it's Matt, and when he first comes into contact with Logan. Immediately I want to know how far this will go, if Logan is already in need of sources and contacts, if not members of the Informant Net yet - after all, a journalist needs sources too! ;}

And the history you have for Matt here is perfect for his observations of the Cales - not often in their part of town, keenly aware of the difference in his bank account and theirs, his usual 'customers' and the Cales. Matt is a great character to serve as our eyes and ears in the Cale household of that time.

And as usual you have such a way with words: "...folding his arms over a body that still took good food for granted." - brilliant line!

And ha! Add Seattle to the current crop of cities actually doing this: "Early in 2009, though, Seattle’s mayor had gone public with his vision of building a seamless surveillance network that would use the countless cameras in stores and public places, train stations and airports to make it possible to track everybody, everywhere." Not "sci-fi" at all, but really out there, and nice use of it in this story.

And another wonderful sentence, so well stated: "It was the old story, the few fearing the many, the many despising the few, the system held together by repression and violence." A touch of history in the DA future! Nice.

But of course, the best parts are when Matt describes Logan for us: "Keeping in the background as he casually leant against the bookshelves that spanned the far end of the room, the older of the two naturally stood out in this environment ... he had that kind of attractiveness that couldn’t be just explained by simply the good looks of his lean, athletic built and blond, unruly hair." O, Logan! This is just so easy to imagine...

"There was a vibe of reigned-in energy in the way he kept his gaze to the floor, his eyes behind the silver-rimmed glasses refusing to make contact as if afraid that somebody would read his mind, be drawn into his intensity." Outstanding Logan description! Just love this...

"Just by standing there he set himself apart from his parents and had been silent so far, only the occasional tense twitch around his mouth giving away his disagreement. ...Matt had no doubt that this guy was the one observing the scene most closely..." This is nice, too, it's so easily imagines as Logan. And as I mentioned before, I like Matt's assumption that Logan is Jonas & Margo's son, and that you write it just that way. It foreshadows too that this topic will be revisited! :) Bennett's description works well here, too.

Nice start to this intriguing story! Can't wait until Matt & Logan have that first talk (and will Marie Antoinette be around to offer Matt some of that cake of hers? ;})
Beth Pryor chapter 1 . 1/18/2009
Good start. I'm looking forward to more.

Oh, and the quote is at the end of the 4th paragraph about eating cake when they hunger for bread.
Obsessed Pam chapter 1 . 1/8/2009
The depth of detail to the opening of this story is wonderful and bodes well for what is to follow. Very much looking forward to where this story will go; interestingly I can't seem to work out what is going to happen.
lisa316 chapter 1 . 1/8/2009
A Matt Sung backstory! Cool!

I have all sorts of ideas about where this will go, but I'll try not to pester you with them until you give us the official version. In the meantime, let me just say that I love this set up. It feels just a little bit like a game of Clue, all the characters introduced and the mystery laid out, and now we all get to follow the clues to see who done it.

Looking forward to more!

Also, "It only made harshly obvious the chasm between those who blithely enjoyed cake while all the others hungered for bread..." There's you A.M. quote, and I thought your wording for this phrase was absolutely beautiful.
nattylovesu chapter 1 . 1/8/2009
nice wok on the details / setting up the atmosphere immediately post pulse...

can't wait for updates!
BlueAngel137 chapter 1 . 1/7/2009
Great story! Love Matt's thoughts and observations about the Cale family and the background info the story provides. I’m curious who took the broosh – it wasn’t the cook, right? ;-)

Favorites:

-...Yet here he was, investigating a cook accused of having disappeared with a piece of family jewelry while the desks at his precinct were overflowing with the files of gang shootings and armed robberies. Had the call come from any other part of town, like from Matt’s regular, run-down, gang-dominated district, they just would have added it onto the growing list of minor incidents never to be looked at. But if the call came from Seattle’s high and mighty, dining with the chief of police, you’d better not make them wait. ...

(so nicely written, and exactly like one would imagine things work in post-Pulse Seattle)

Keeping in the background as he casually leant against the bookshelves that spanned the far end of the room, the older of the two naturally stood out in this environment of smug satisfaction. About Matt’s age but half a head taller, he had that kind of attractiveness that couldn’t be just explained by simply the good looks of his lean, athletic built and blond, unruly hair.

(Wonderful description of young Logan. :-))

THANKS for sharing.