Reviews for 03 A Normal Life
skywiseskychan chapter 23 . 6/3/2016
Wow, Alex is a serious go getter isn't she. Yikes. I'm not sure if I should be warning Joel to run, run from the stalker, or cheering him on! Then too I am curious about Michelle as without reading this segment I don't recall. Did you ever reveal she was trans before now or is this a new decision based on world events that you decided to put into your writing? Either way I like how it's going.

I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner, but I'm drowning a bit in work and backlogged stuff. However it is always a joy to get to read a bit more.
Fallyna chapter 23 . 4/29/2016
Happily surprised to see you take time out from your Firefly fic for this story, but time is running out for 'A Normal Life'. Anna's was rescued from IO 2 months ago, first met the kids a month ago and there's just over 2 months before Caitlin has the worst experience of her life in 'Foxhunt'. A dramatic event or time skip must be coming up soon.

The Brewhaus may be small and not very classy, but a gen getting up on stage and attracting that much attention from the opposite gender is fraught with danger, as Kara/Keeley Schaffer and Julie Rabinovitz could tell you. I'm surprised Bobby is taking that much of a risk, but he probably isn't aware of how much danger he's really in at this point. A club full of women will have every guy in there texting his mates to join the hunt and it'd only take one snapshot of the band to trigger every alert in IO if they process it. Hopefully Lynch and his friends are on the job and intercepting/redirecting those queries.

I don't think Kim has given up on Bobby either, as her pride wouldn't allow it and she has her image to consider. Sarah is dead right about the latent homophobia of teenage males, most of whom eventually grow out of it as they gain more confidence in their own sexuality. Pity some never do.

Joel is heading off to IO, so I wonder how long it will be before he finds out about Caitlin's real backstory. One way or another, he'll have some hard questions to answer if IO backtrack Professor Zysik's other candidate. At that point all of their friends would become hostages.
WalkerofDarkness chapter 23 . 4/23/2016
Awesome time. We're starting to see the "past" as I think of it, hit the "present" (which would be #25 in your sequence..hint hint...). Hoping to see some other chaps in the future too, but it's good to know this isn't dead and gone!
BF110C4 chapter 23 . 4/21/2016
Its great to see this one again. While there are few Gen13 fics to compare yours are not only the best of those, but some of the best I have seen of any comic at all. The worldbuilding and characterization are both excellent, especially in a setting when we don't get to see too often the superhero part of the characters such as school. Everytime I get to see Fairchild acting like a body conscious nerd who is sincerely unaware on her effect in all males (and quite a few females) and that considers Joel an equal despite all the social and physical barriers.

Thank you and keep going.
skywiseskychan chapter 22 . 12/30/2014
I have to say it was an awesome start for the chapter. Especially the other women at the shelter. It's odd but this is the second story I've read lately that has battered women in it. I have to wonder if it is a gestalt unconsciousness thing bringing it to the attention of society or just random happenstance.

Also, Angery Sarah is the Best Sarah. I continually enjoy the small bits you build into these chapters. Bobby not being entirely clueless about Roxanne and what she likes, but that the attention to detail he shows still surprises Sarah.

Some people don't like slice of life portions in stories, but I think that they are wonderful. At least when done as well as this.

Of course my own problem is action. Grumble, I still need to get that all sorted out for my own fic.
WalkerofDarkness chapter 22 . 12/18/2014
Hooray, my Christmas present came early! A fun chapter that ties in well to the other story. Also shows a new side of Sarah we hadn't seen.
Fallyna chapter 22 . 12/17/2014
No surprise that the ladies at the shelter recognised Sarah's evasiveness, but it looked like a surprise to her that outsiders would care enough to take risks on her behalf. One more step on the long path to maturity.

Manipulating the security guard shows just how far she has to go, since she likes mixing fun with her contempt for the male gender. The funny part is that she's the only one who doesn't see a problem with what she's doing, widening the gap between her and the group.

"There are worse things she could be." Indeed. She may not love Bobby, but he's 'her' toy and nobody else is allowed to play with him. Would be nice to fast forward 2 years and see her getting morally righteous (on behalf of Caitlin, naturally!) over Anna's relationship with Jack. At this point in time she can't even imagine that possibility.

Caitlin's byplay with Joel makes me wonder if it contributed towards her pushing harder to save Daniel from IO, particularly if she felt that she hadn't done enough to dissuade Joel.
Ryan2212 chapter 21 . 11/1/2014
Fun story! I love your Gen13 stuff. Where does this story fall in the timeline of your other stories?
skywiseskychan chapter 21 . 10/28/2014
I can't believe I didn't see the notification of your new chapter in my inbox. Hazah! It is more of your flagship product at long last!
Now that I am reading it, Wee more of the awkward Sarah vs Anna debates. Wonderful!

Of course now I feel bad for Esti but I certainly understand that the story isn't about fixing everybodies problems, and Anna can't try or she really would have a todo list that was too long. Its interesting to see her at this point pondering about the lies people tell themselves.

And of course now here at the end we have Sarah the bitch. It seems almost compulsory. On that note...

"Sarah's more of the love, bitch, and sentiment school. She can do you bitch and love without the sentiment, and she can do you bitch and sentiment without the love, and she can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But she can't give you love and sentiment without the bitch. Bitch is compulsory.”

Paraphrasing from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.
WalkerofDarkness chapter 21 . 10/26/2014
Another update, awesome. Was afraid you'd left the site for good and I didn't want these stories to end!
skywiseskychan chapter 20 . 12/17/2012
I want to know more about just what happened between third and fourth classes on Caitlin's seventeenth birthday between her and Sarah!

On to this chapter,
You repeat yourself on Kim having "picked up a lot of our songbook already" You probably forgot to delete it after moving it from place to place. I am a bit surprised at Anna 'flaunting' her powers to the boys on the boat. It seems almost reckless for her and so I'm just not sure why it happened, a mistake or a calculation I didn't know she made. I did like learning more about the four rich kids and more details behind the beating debacle. You might consider some re-ordering of that bit however as you have them commenting/thinking that the girls might be more willing after one of them scored. But this is after the conclusion that doing so will get you beaten within an inch of your life. It seems more reasonable that they wouldn't want to risk a 'mob' father's wrath a second time.
It's interesting to see the evolution of their next home. Always fun to see Anna flirting as well, and the odd mix of legal/illegal activity that "the lynch's" partake of. I am going to have to reread the whole story now that you've been getting more chapters out. To see how it flows with more information.
The first time through the new safehouse that Anna put so much love attention and detail into was a complete surprise. This time though readers will know that it exists and what she's been doing to prepare it. I think that will have a definite effect on the impression the new home makes.
skywiseskychan chapter 19 . 9/26/2012
The difference between the girls walking the quad was hilarious. I love the theoretical 'rules' of attraction your putting forward here. I certainly don't remember anything quite like that but hey, who am I to judge. I was really more of a Joel anyway. Caitlin is just so... obtuse at the start of this chapter its a bit frightening.

It's nice to see some more about Sarah and where her mind was at during this time. Some of the regular crush/obsession/attraction that goes on around that age. I also liked Caitlin's 'dry tease' and getting to learn a bit more about her relationship with Sarah. It's one that's talked about a lot, but the easy companionship portion of it is not really shown much as you have stated that it's been evolving. This chapter is nice in that it starts to explain why its done so even if only hinting.
skywiseskychan chapter 18 . 3/12/2012
Laurel ah the amusement factor, I do so enjoy your bit part characters and the life you have breathed into them. I especially like that she doesn't care what she's wearing at the time, as far as it affects her feeling of security/vulnerability.

Then there's Bobby, still thinking ill of his father. Or maybe just projecting what he might have done with Laurel if she were tossing herself at him. Then he has Cat doing so in a friendly way and it doesn't even phase him. He really does only have eyes for Sarah who still doing her 'look don't touch' routine has got to be one of the most agrivating things ever.

"It's not what you're thinking." Anna turned toward the house. "Not that I really know what you're thinking."

But it’s the right thing to say when it appears as though a romantic tryst is occurring with another woman watching from afar. The cliché, Anna just had to say it, even though it’s a good thing she did as I'm not sure how much jelousy Sarah could take without the hypocracy of her own feelings and thoughts warring in her head would make her explode. Although I see she never did get around to finding out if Grunge's billfold was empty.

I'm also curious, how long did it take to figure out just the right way to start the conversation between Roxanne and Grunge?
skywiseskychan chapter 17 . 1/4/2012
Again one of the things I most like about your writing is that your characters are people. I like the complexities that your bringing out and how you have them acting and relating to one another. Particularly your community college student old soul, mixed with youthful need.

It is of course interesting that they would all be willing to just randomly go meet with people after such a short time even considering they're Gens. Or maybe its just been too long since I've been reading the whole of the story. I like that each of the three does have an outside 'source' more or less of disquiet that could drive them to do so however. Amy's drugs, Cally's varying discomfort and outspoken over acceptance of the role she's decided to live, and Laurel is just intriguing. Of the three even if her story is at its heart the most pedestrian and boring its Laurel who I want to learn more about after the evening. Also nice save by Eddie, even if he did miss the chance to get in a girls pants.
Whyt Wulf chapter 16 . 12/17/2011
I've been away from fanfic for quite a while, and I'm glad you're the author I came back to. I knew our Man in Black was an imposing figure, but you bring him to life. I have missed your stories very much, and I'm looking forward to the new additions to your list.