Reviews for The Problem with Purity
Accioscroll chapter 39 . 6/10
Yay! Somebody punched him!
Accioscroll chapter 25 . 6/8
I want to punch him in the nose.
Can I just punch him in the nose? ..I'll take the loss of points
asixua chapter 62 . 6/8
Hi.
Your story is truly great. I just read through it all:-)
As constructive criticism I think that it would benefit from a read through where you cut out some stuff. It is really long, and sometimes it becomes a bit repetitive to hear about the wheresbane and exams. Not to say that these parts isn't important, but in my opinion if you want this to be truly epic it needs it, to get a bit more flow.
Keep up the good work :-)
Dragonmaster Kurai chapter 62 . 6/4
I have really, really, really enjoyed this. Thank you. What a whirlwind ride :D very original, love it, LOVE IT! DK
Love2read23 chapter 43 . 6/4
And I was just starting to truly dislike him. I'd even had the thought while reading of his treatment in thw detentions that I almost wish Hermione wouldn't end up with him. If there was any way for her to be happy and not be distraught were he to be gone, I'd wished he had gotten some sort of punishment. How does that brief conversation allow her to relax so completely. He was intentionally cruel! One does not just flip a switch that easily. Plus Hermione's thought about him not realizing that he was still exerting his authority over her by holding her there. If he wasn't such a heartless bastard with a repuation for vindictive behavior she wouldn't be there. How can he not see that? And then he has the wherewithal to be upset that Harry expects him to treat Hermione to terribly grueling detentions. Does he not know what he's like? Ugh. I want him to, if not apologize, at least say something nice to negate his death threat. I'm sure Hermione still blames herself for Roger. Her exclamation of Severus' judgement means his harsh words still are affecting her. He could definitely be defined as verbally abusive. Ugh, don't do it Hermione!
Love2read23 chapter 34 . 6/3
I'm quite impressed by the detail in depicting the brewing of the Weresbane. Very well done.
Relevant chapter 52 . 6/3
OK. Looking at this realistically I'm about 500k into a 600k book, I've been ready to drop it for good at least five times and have stepped away many times with a sigh of relief to read something else, and am now walking away with the answer to the question that kept me coming back 'why is this not keeping my attention?' Scene descriptions, characterization, imagery, dialog and exposition - all excellent, well written aspects of this work. What kept putting me off? A couple of factors actually. First, because it's narrated by Hermione (and if not Hermione then an omniscient narrator with a direct line into her head and an inclination to be talkative) and like many an imaginative swot she spends a lot of time in her head analyzing and planning and then telling us all about it, So I've known since 200k in if not earlier how the book ends. It feels like I'm being dragged the long way 'round to the resolution. Secondly, there's no 'will she succeed?' moments, no serious setbacks she has to overcome. Challenges? Yes, plenty but because of her planning and always having the right spell to hand (or other prepared item or potion or knowledge) she experiences no challenges that actually flummox or overly surprise her, the sole exception being Severus. And reading a story about the challenges of anyone's love life, even set in a magical, war-torn world has never enticed me.

So, to summarize (if you're even still reading this review) your skills in many of the writer's tools are excellent, even well-honed but your story is made excessively long by how much of it is written about what's going on in Hermione's head and there's no suspense concerning her success, eventual or immediate. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Love2read23 chapter 24 . 6/1
Oh I want to cry. I felt from the beginning that it would end with some harsh words from Severus and Hermione in tears because it wasn't an act of love as she wanted. Severus is just being an ass because he wanted it be love as well. He must still think that she wants someone else. What a horrid idea. My heart breaks for Hermione.
Love2read23 chapter 22 . 6/1
Oh it's so beautiful. Hermione is amazing. Thank you for writing such a well developed and thought out cure to lycanthropy. Severus is a git. Why is his first response always to be such a jerk. Marvelous chapter. Remus' job is catching.
Love2read23 chapter 21 . 6/1
I like Hermione/Severus fics. I really do. And I like the good moments they have here but Severus making her clean and do all those hard work just because he wanted to see how far he'd get her to do it is just plain cruel. If Hermione didn't have specific timeline restrictions she probably would have never brought it up. And how can Severus be okay with her calling him sir in those detentions. It doesn't seem like he's trying. And Hermione forgives him much too quickly in her relief to not have five months of detentions. He just thought it was funny. I would have been pissed off if someone played with me like that.
I think a phoenix is perfect for Harry. Why would anyone not want him to be one? He's born to fly and I love your descriptions of that scene.
Love2read23 chapter 19 . 6/1
There is a lot of really great scenes in this chapter: Hermione hugging Severus to comfort him because he thought she hated him for his actions at Halloween; Harry's “He kissed me” in his after kiss bliss and his dopey smile; Hermione speaking with Draco and kicking him into gear to get with Harry. But I just keep going back and forth between Hermione and Severus' scene in this chapter and that in chapter 9. I understand that Hermione's tone was cold in informing Severus about them witnessing his actions in the orphanage. And I can understand him taking that to mean she disapproved and was disgusted but he was upset upon seeing Hermione and Harry in the same bed before she even mentioned that. So he was acting out in jealous and anger when he dismantled her workstation. It was pretty straight forward when he said “Thirty points from Gryffindor for unwarranted familiarity, Miss Granger?” Really, what else could she have assumed he meant when he said that right after she said his name? I just don’t think that the scene in this chapter resolves that pain and hurt she experienced at his hand. That scene is so painful and I hope that he did see her expression as she held back tears.
Love2read23 chapter 9 . 6/1
I was confused by Hermione forgiving Severus ao easily in chapter 19 that I had to reread the scene here. And truly it is heart breaking when Severus demands 30 points for her familiarity. I cry for Hermione. Really what else is she to think but that she's no longer allowed to call him in such an informal manner. Really, this scene makes as though that Severus is lashing out in jealousy. I don't understand why he came to their rooms in the first place (does he often check on Harry?).
Love2read23 chapter 4 . 5/30
I love all the changes Harry and Hermione have made and wonder how any head or headmaster could function without a map or other such monitors. Also, there bands make me think of smart watches today that buzz at incoming calls or messages. Cool.
greenbellybean chapter 62 . 5/12
This has become my most favorite Severus and Hermione fictions. I'm so glad that I stumbled across this.
CJRed chapter 62 . 5/10
Thank you for this amazing epic tale, which you have told so wonderfully. I enjoyed it immensely. If you are still doing your map. I live in Dencer, Colorado, USA
4,873 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »