Reviews for The Problem with Purity
Anna chapter 1 . 6/17
I found myself, on more than one occasion, needing to stop everything to whisper into the abyss: "wtf?", and every single time they were THE MOST emotionally charged, heartfelt wtfs ever to be uttered. I've read hundreds of fanfiction, both good and bad, and i've never felt so completely harassed, infuriated, and robbed of my time by a story. I was waiting, wanting, pleading, for it to get better. For a while it actually did. I was so excited about how everything was going to turn out. The way Severus and Hermione finally ended up sleeping together was completely bogus but I chose to ignore it. I assured myself "Phoenix Writing says there are completely reasonable explanations to their actions. Just wait it out." So I did. I was skeptical, but I waited. I told myself "Severus acted like a complete tool the morning after but his insecurities have probably gotten his panties in a twist again. They'll work it out soon enough." So I read on, waiting for the resolution, the reprieve, but it came 20 some odd chapters later as a completely ill-thought-out, implausible exchange between the two. The violently malicious, unhealthy way he treats her in between that time, his blatant disregard for her feelings despite his clear "affection" for her, HIS ATTEMPTS ON HER LIFE, are all brushed aside and not explored any further than "Severus is a cantankerous old sod who hasn't known love, so this is completely plausible and excusable behavior." not recognize how uninspired, lazy, and irresponsible that is? The explanation Severus eventually gives to Hermione is also completely laughable, and on the level of what a middle-school child would think reasonable enough to write, and I sit here wondering how it is you have so many rave reviews. Severus CLEARLY acknowledged and enjoyed Hermione's positive responses during their first time but you justify his later cold attitude with "you didn't seem to like it when I touched you." WTF? There are so many glaringly obvious inconsistencies in your writing that are given half-assed horribly written reasons for, and it's insulting to your readers. How in the world did this win any awards? Are you all twelve? Did we read the same story?

User dhasenan echoes my sentiments in a far more sober way than I am able to at the moment, and I feel pressed to share it: "Hermione in this story is an Author's Pet. She can do very little wrong (though this changes slightly in the later chapters). Everything interesting that happens, happens through her. She gets the most special powers. She plays matchmaker and it works every time.

The sheer number of times characters overreact and misunderstand each other strains credulity, as does the patience - or should I say masochism - of Hermione in her relationship troubles."

Please absorb this heartfelt criticism, explore further the intricacies of human interactions and the motivations that realistically justify certain actions, reflect on your negligence as a writer, and try try again.
lavanyalabelle chapter 62 . 6/14
I loved it. Reading it for the umpteenth time.
Fiore chapter 62 . 6/5
It was the longest fanfiction I've ever read and the only piece of literature for me to read in English. I'm so fond of Snamione, especially this exact one, that waiting at least some years to enjoy The Problem with Purity in Russian could kill me. So here I am. Thank you for the opportunity to spend this one-year journey with my favorite characters ever!
darkpoet14 chapter 62 . 6/2
I honestly can't remember if I've left a review for this story before or not so I figured I'd leave one now just to make sure I had. I have lost count of the number of times I have read (and re-read) this fic. At least a few times a year. This story is one of my all-time favorites and I am still always saddened when I reach the end of the epilogue and there is no "next" button to click for another chapter. Thank you so much for gifting is all with this story. It is magnificent.
SL chapter 62 . 5/23
Quite an engaging story! For my taste, I wish it were a bit more fast-pace / less verbose. Bringing Andrew Stebbins back in the last chapter is a nice touch.
AwkwardIdeasLeadToThis chapter 61 . 5/22
the longest fucking story I've ever read. I've literally been reading for a day at least a full fucking 24 hours probably. I don't even remember. 8pm yesterday I started reading. fell asleep at about 9am. so 13 hours? added to when i woke up, 3pm. to now. 1am. 10 hours. fucking 23 hours. fuck 640k word stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed my day of reading though. Loved it. Couldn't stop reading. Admittedly I did skim many chapters because I just kept seeing that word count. Thanks for the good read.
lauramarie chapter 62 . 5/17
Even better reading the second time. Love your work and hope you find time to write more.
Your fanfic was captivating and beautifully written from start to finish. Hands down one of the best I've ever read and I've been avidly reading for quite a few years now.
Lexi-Carter chapter 62 . 5/13
Thank you for writing such a wonderful story. Are you planning on writing a sequel?
Wow. What a utterly fantastic story! I absolutely loved it! All the intricacies, details, descriptions, personalities and plots were just mind blowing! Great job! (Oh and I'm from Kyle, Texas, USA.) You said you liked to know where all your readers were from.
psychopixi chapter 62 . 5/4
I adored this story from start to finish. I enjoyed spotting when Snape's behaviour was at its worst, and trying to figure out what was setting him off. I really liked your novel idea for the Weresbane and the cure for lycanthropy. I was a little unsure about the idea of Pure Adults to begin with, worried that they would be too powerful, but the whole thing ended perfectly. I thought the defeat of Voldemort another wonderfully unique idea - the power that he knew not being the blood wards. Definitely an "Outstanding" fic, and one which I will recommend to anyone.
FallenStar22 chapter 11 . 5/1
I really liked your idea that the cure for lycanthropy could come from becoming a wolf Animagi.
Love and hugs to you as well, and thank you for this awesome story!
Omg only one chapter left!
She burnt out her core? OMG!
4,711 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »