Reviews for Learn to Fly
bowtie-bass chapter 11 . 2/12
I read this story a long time ago, and now I decided to re-read it. I can't even begin to express how much I love it, the story is literally perfect, from the beginning to the end. The ending made me so happy, really, your scenario of the time between 1x9 and 1x10 is so much better than the show's, even though I love those episodes. Your writing is amazing as well, everyone's characterization is so on point, and everyone's pov is perfect. I'm really glad I re-read this story, thank you so much for writing (and finishing!) it :)
ChuckBlair08lover chapter 11 . 2/13/2014
Loved this whole story! I wish you would continue a little further with it. Such a beautiful relationship you have built for them! :)
ChuckBlair08lover chapter 3 . 2/13/2014
Loved this chapter! I swear if only this was how it played out!
Guest chapter 11 . 8/17/2013
I write gossip girl fanfiction myself so i know how hard it can be but this was AMAZING! I think that this is what should have happened on the show!
Guest chapter 11 . 5/23/2013
sooo good story!
Guest chapter 9 . 5/23/2013
hahhahaha, funny
Guest chapter 8 . 5/23/2013
love it
Guest chapter 6 . 5/23/2013
In this moment I hate Nate sooo much..
Guest chapter 5 . 5/22/2013
love it
Guest chapter 3 . 5/21/2013
sweet ;)
imjustwriting chapter 11 . 2/11/2013
I love this so much. I wish there was more.
HybridLove chapter 11 . 7/16/2012
This story is absolute perfection!especially the final chapter. It was simply magical. The king and queen of the UES made one hell of a statement...and we wouldn't expect anything less! Thank you for this delicious chair reading material!
nondescriptf chapter 11 . 5/8/2012
"Blair isn't just another girl," Chuck said hoarsely. "I'm in love with her." - 3, i have no words for how much i adored this line.

And again w/ the flawless POV. I love how all your characters actually have an internal monologue!

"But he did. He loved her. It was both horrible and wonderful to say it, admit it. Horrible because the entire UES was watching; horrible because Nate was staring at him in disbelief; horrible because Blair wasn't there to hear him and he didn't know anything about love and he was scared shitless about what she made him feel; it was horrible because everything was happening so fast and he hardly recognized himself and the one thing he'd ever feared was looking like a powerless fool. And love certainly zapped the power, the control of the situation, out of him. But it was wonderful, too. It was wonderful because he'd never said those words before; they were finally true and it felt so incredibly good to say them."

"I'm sorry we disrupted the ball," he said calmly. "I'll see myself out." - oh, i just want to hug him for all the self-loathing he has.

"All she wanted was to just go home, but Blair knew that she should probably hunt down Chuck wherever he'd ended up disappearing to and stick to him like a glue—like a real girlfriend." - Describes Blair to a tee - loyal!

Repetitive, I know, but seriously, stop making your Blair so lovable and heartwrenchingly wonderful! Her torment makes my heart clench in all the right ways.

"She didn't know what she'd do if he turned his back on her. She knew he wouldn't—but if he did… Blair couldn't keep doing this will-they-won't-they/stop-go/yes-no/love-hate routine. It made her dizzy: dancing around each other, sneaking around for weeks, making out and then fighting on Friday, almost-apologies and jumped conclusions on Saturday, and resolutions about their relationship and Nate finding out—and severely testing said relationship—today. The ups and downs were too much. She almost wouldn't blame Chuck if he did walk away. This was hard, harder than any other relationship Blair had ever observed (in real life—Roman Holiday didn't count). And it being Chuck's first…

Blair didn't want to let him go. But if he broke up with her, she couldn't chase him. She didn't think she had the strength to."

"They both wanted…love. (She couldn't think about that word in connection to Chuck without her heart fluttering—and she couldn't let herself think about what that meant, not now. Not so soon. Not when she didn't know what was happening upstairs.)" - more perfection.

You are seriously killing me with all the wonderfulness in this fic!

"As Jenny worked on fixing her train, Blair tried not to think about how much she'd miss Chuck if he left her. God, she didn't even care about her stupid dress anymore. All she wanted to do was rip it from Jenny's hands and sprint back up those stairs, give Nate a good slap, grab Chuck's face and kiss him in front of everyone. Claiming him and proud of it.

It was daring. It was rather undignified. It was romantic. It gave Blair the shivers just imagining it."

SERENA to the rescue!

And this paragraph was absolute perfection:

"He heard her, she could tell. He looked back up at her as she hurried down, and it was as if the movie of her life that she'd always been striving for—the perfect, classic, romantic setting and situation and climax—was suddenly, incredibly, vividly true. All those times before when she'd pretended and yearned and planned everything out to follow the script in her head, it had always been hard. It had never gone to plan; something had always not quite fit. But this was effortless; this was easy. His right eye was a little swollen, his bow tie crooked, her dress was in tatters, but it didn't matter—it only added to the charm and magic of the scene. Honestly, she wasn't even aware of how she looked, or who was watching; she wasn't vaguely thinking about how she'd tell this story later, embellishing the anecdote to make it shinier or funnier or more romantic. There was no need for exaggeration of any kind. It would have been impossible to improve in any case; it glowed."

So very Blair Waldorf, and so very Blair with Chuck.

Loved this injection of levity, "Blair," he said softly, pulling back. "Don't cry." He lifted his hand and gently wiped her cheek. "We can fix your dress."

The very end was a bit on the cheesy side, but who can complain about a little cheese, when it is a gooey romance story? I did enjoy how you pointed out that the video of their kiss was the most popular item on Gossip Girl.

Thank you so much for writing such a fun, lovely and wonderful version of Chuck and Blair in Season 1. I obviously adored it to pieces. And so sorry that you had to wait so long for such high praise (that you deserve in tenfold). I love knowing that this story is out there for me to enjoy, when I'm ready to reread, and that it won't fail to deliver on the magic that is Chuck and Blair.
nondescriptf chapter 10 . 5/8/2012
That was such a great description of the way Chuck fell, but I love how instinctively he dragged Nate down with him. And I felt like a kid, and wanted to yell FIGHT! (Not really, but I was so enjoying being the spectator, and appreciating that Chuck fought back).

And strangely I love that B could only think about her dress, and not realize what the eff was going on around her. Yay to Serena being a lovely bff and trying to keep B from realizing what it was exactly that was going on.

I was trying to figure out if B was purposely ignoring everything, esp with Jenny/Kati/Iz, but then I realized in a sense, B was 'all in' about Chuck being her boyfriend, and it would be so like her to be more annoyed by the dress than by anything else.

Oh, and I loved it when Nate told C to stay away from her, because it was of course followed up by this:

"Chuck set his jaw, meeting his best friend's eyes with an icy glare. "She's not your girlfriend anymore, Nathaniel."

"What and she's yours?"

There was a pause. The crowd around them held its breath. Even the Mistress of Ceremonies and the surrounding parents had given up trying to stop the boys, entranced by the scene enfolding in front of them.

Chuck thought about how Blair had come to the Palace that morning to apologize and how she'd asked him to be her boyfriend. He felt the butterflies rise at the memory of her face. Cotillion was their first outing as an official couple. They were public now—he wasn't her dirty little secret. They were Chuck and Blair, Blair and Chuck. Boyfriend and girlfriend.

"Yes, actually," he said." - FUCK YES! Happy dance!

And the unintentional admission of love "Well so am I!"

"Blair could just imagine what Nate was claiming, what Chuck was shouting back. He could be cruel... Their fight on Friday had hit that fact home to her rather harshly. He knew just where to strike, exactly what would hurt most, even if he hadn't meant a lot of it… God, if what he was saying now was just as bad…" - Thank you for not sweeping their flaws underneath a rug!

I really love how you make the effort to tie in the loose ends, and not leave gaping holes. How B is trying to pinpoint the 'when' Nate found out, and if he had found out earlier, why had he waited so long...? etc. I appreciate your paying attention to the details.

And your ending was perfectly heartbreaking and lovely! The way you really tied up B's character and her insecurity and her taking that leap of blind faith in her relationship with Chuck.

"Blair raised her chin. She was still Queen, no matter what Gossip Girl said. Now was not the time for freshmen to think they could order her around—especially one so close to the edge of her good graces.

She wouldn't let this stupid, embarrassing, horrible night get in her way. She'd show Gossip Girl. She's show them all. She wasn't a plaything. She'd chosen Chuck Bass and goddamnit she wouldn't let anyone laugh at her for being delusional. They didn't know him like she did. They didn't…

She swallowed, holding back the tears. They didn't know. But she sure as fucking hell hoped she did. Because if she was wrong…she honestly didn't know what she would do."
nondescriptf chapter 9 . 5/8/2012
Again, I appreciate the lack of a villain in this whole story. I really do think, that had things happened differently, B and C would have pulled N aside and told him personally, so he wouldn't find out from any other source. It's a nod to the depths of the friendships between all of them.

Another brilliant line: "Chuck wasn't sure whom he loathed more: the Brooklyn charity case with a judgmental moral compass the size of the Chrysler Building, or that self-touted trust-fund dropping asshole who not only was a poseur rebel and hypocrite, but had also tried to scam his best friend." Your insights are thoroughly appreciated!

Adored this tiny little peek of C/B loveliness:

"Chuck caught her fidgeting hand and leaned in so that his mouth was against her ear. "Don't worry. We'll be fine," he murmured. He pulled back and smiled at her.

Blair met his warm gaze and touched her necklace, this time on purpose. It was the Erikson-Beamon necklace, the one he'd given her for her birthday. He knew it was a signal of agreement, and that his words had calmed her. The small smile that teased her lips made his stomach flip. Those butterflies had never felt more alive."

I loved Nate's day of craziness, and how it was all told in a rush, it was paced perfectly, so the reader felt as dizzy as Nate did.

And THIS: "Had her guy stood her up or something? Had they decided to wait to reveal their secret relationship? It seemed strange that Blair would be so adamant just that morning about going with her mystery guy, and then end up with his own best friend. Maybe she'd been too embarrassed to ask Nate after she'd turned him down? Blair had been kind of harsh outside the Palace. And he knew how prideful she could be. She probably just didn't want to admit she had been wrong."

There's part of me that's thinking, oh poor, pretty, stupid Nate, but then there's the rational part that's very, Oh, NATE, if you only knew...

Only to be followed up by this: "Yeah, her guy had probably bailed, and Blair had been too proud to admit she needed a date. So she'd asked a friend to step in: Chuck. His best friend. Someone who was unthreatening and neutral." Can't help but giggle a bit.

And of course Jenny has to be involved! Even when she isn't trying to be annoying, she still annoys me! But valiant effort on your part to make her seem likable.

I really enjoyed watching through Nate's eyes, even though I wanted to know what Chuck said that was so funny, and how nervous C felt and how B just seemed to ignore everything that wasn't C. But your method for the reveal was done so perfectly. And I love how it was aligned with Nate trying to figure out if what he saw was real, with the realization that C/B suited each other.

And then...dun, dun dun...perfect cliffy to end on!