Reviews for Dates
aggie88 chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
well written exactly like the characters
DelphineCormyay chapter 1 . 7/4/2010
That was really cool I loved it D
Owl Emporium chapter 1 . 6/15/2010
This was...so movie-ish. I love those guys! They about make me crack up. They're hilarious. xD Anyways, this was great. (: Good job.
FloMachineFan chapter 1 . 3/22/2010
Nick and Norah is my all time fave movie. I was expecting you to screw up badly but it is fantastic. You are really talented and when I'm thirteen Mum says I can go on FanFic and be a member!
rhea lupin chapter 1 . 2/24/2010
I liked it. Good job.
BobSagetIsMyHero chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
cool itz like read what happens nextz...hope you continue :]
Music.Junkie4 chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
That was pretty good :) I think that Nick was a bit OOC though-he seemed way more angsty than in the books and movies. I still liked it though, so no worries :)

-MJ4-
Always Juliet chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
I loved it. Great job. I just saw the movie and am starting the book so I'm like obsessed with Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist now. So ANYWAYS,

Great job! Its going on my faves.
chocolatebearturk chapter 1 . 3/27/2009
Hmm... I read this and the other story, about changing the band name, which was hilarious. This one was funny at points, too, but I'm not sure what the point of it was.

Oh, and I've just noticed what you said about not seeing the movie before writing this. But, this applies to the writing for both stories, mostly, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. This little paragraph was added after I wrote the rest of the review. I'm a little weird like that. XP

The movie was very fast-paced and the characters spent a lot of time talking, but you have to remember that it was interspersed with moments when there was very little dialogue at all, and the story was told visually. Although there are problems with translating this into printed words, it's still possible to do it well.

The book was just as fast-paced at the movie, but what really made the style stand out was how much of the story was internalized. Again, there were times when dialogue was used to carry the flow, but thoughts and actions and descriptions were used just as often.

You have a talent for creating funny dialogue, but I felt like I was reading more of a script than a depended very much on the use of dialogue to carry your story, which is fine at points, but not for an entire fanfiction, be it a chapterfic or a oneshot. Too little time was spent on characters talking and not enough time was spent on characters doing and thinking. You could have taken some time to describe Norah’s love for flannel, or the fact that, although many people who’ve seen the movie have read the book, Thom’s name is pronounced ‘Tom.’

In this fanfiction, you took the characters out of their starting environment and into at least two others before the story ends, but you gave us readers a mere two-line description of the club, as well as barely mentioning when they were on the subway. And why, may I ask, was Nick being so anal about the club’s name? It’s not like they were on their way back to Camera Obscura (that’s a movie reference, there).

Another thing that confused me was Nick’s quick temper in both fanfictions. Forgetting the fight between Nick and Norah in the movie, both of the tellings (book and film) show us a Nick who doesn’t anger easily. He seems to get flustered more than anything, and only truly gets mad when someone seems to be treating the object of his affections unfairly, such as when Norah ‘attacked’ Tris, and Tal was being… well, himself.

I was also bothered by the fact that Norah didn’t seem to speak very much in either fic, but that can be remedied pretty easily. When you finish writing a chapter or a page or a scene, whichever length works for you, see if you can count the number of times you mention a character, PLUS how many times they speak. If someone that is supposed to be an integral part of the scene and they are mentioned by name very little compared to someone else, you may need to look back and revise, possibly reassigning dialogue where it will fit to give everyone a share of ‘screen time’ proportionate to their role in your story AND the original.

Your pacing was rough, but only experience and the advice of snobs like me can really help that, so keep working!

You’ve got some real potential, and I’m glad to see that there are more people out there willing to write about this awesome story! I expect great things from you, young… person!

Oh, and it’s shameless plugging, but I plan to put out a fanfiction for N&N, a bit more movie-based than book-based ( the first draft of the first chapter seems to steal a large amount of dialogue, so it’s going to need some MAJOR revising before it sees cyberspace), between now and never.

Hope to see more from you soon, and HAVE HAPPY WRITINGS!

Much love!

POTR
Lord Ezra'eil chapter 1 . 3/5/2009
Very nice one-shot, I hope you write some more Nick and Norah... But I can't help but wonder if you'll write a Lemon?
earthling chapter 1 . 3/3/2009
that was adorable. i haven't read the book, just seen the movie. :) yay.
caleb frost chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
it defiently reads like the book in that fast paced, line a minute style of prose. You have the characters down patand the only thing i would suggest is tightening up who is speaking for at times it got a little confusing.

I am a huge fan of book and movie and thought it was well done.

good work
darlingxoxonikki chapter 1 . 2/9/2009
i love it!
Elegos-Sirinial-Shamtul chapter 1 . 2/2/2009
Congratulations on being the first to submit a nick and norah fanfic.

this was really good, hope you keep writing.
ivonne chapter 1 . 1/11/2009
This is nice for a one shot.. but if you could continue, it'd be a hundred times better!

I haven't read the book yet, but i saw the movie... I really really want to read it, cus I loved the movie...