Reviews for These Black Eyes
'Wyrd', as you spelled it is actually spelled W-E-I-R-D
Ms.H.B chapter 64 . 8/9
I'm rereading this fic at least a decade after I first read it. Last week I was suddenly struck with the urge to read it again. I only ment to skim a few chapters for old times sake. It really says something that I made it to the end of act one. Sure it's got gramer issues and plot holes but I still love the sappy moments, mythology and character building. I learned ASL a few years back and I can't help thinking about the things Noir says and how he would say them. His signname is probably something badass like a N shaped fist punching through the left hand sign for gray. Most two handed signs can be modified for one hand but it's like talking with a heavy speech impediment. "Thank you" is a one handed sign in ASL. It even uses the right hand... even with that kind of error strung throughout I care deeply for your OC and your story long after you tried to kill it. The MyLittlePoney crossover gave me all the feels.
Lord. 272 chapters. from 2009-2010. Wow...
Candy Phantom chapter 5 . 4/6
Ok, for this story I'm making all of my reviews sound like Starfire is talking. Kitty Picnic!
ellielise chapter 272 . 3/26
Lord, the length of this story and the overall plot is marvelously unbelievable. I applaud you for creating such a masterpiece over the course of only one year and a half. Incredible, simply incredible.

MarieAlexander chapter 1 . 3/8
I just did some math. This story (which I have read at LEAST five times since I discovered it ten years ago) has 2,635,000 words, according to the summary word count. A novel page with 12 pt Times New Roman font has an average of 250-300 words per page. 2,635,000 words total divided by 300 words per page is 8,783 pages total. If each novel had roughly 400 pages there would be a total of 22 books. Are you overwhelmed by that number? I'm overwhelmed by that number- it doesn't seem possible. But then, you did help me shape my reading interests and writing style (I was eleven when I first started reading TBE), so I suppose I've always admired your writing. I do hope you are putting your impressive writing skills to good use, and let your followers know *when* you publish something. ;)
It is nearing 1:30 am. That should probably mean something.
Thank you, for this 2635k word "train wreck." These days I especially enjoy picking out the Shakespearean references. :)
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you are now doing.
God bless.
The Prophet Of Lies chapter 270 . 12/11/2014
This was the longest story I have ever read and I loved it dearly. The depth of the characters and it's truth to angst the growth of the titans and the way they blend. But god was it hard at times for the fights they were so detailed and long you end up going swipe block dodge for thousands of words I was glad when something changed. Also realized you never told use how Anna died or go into details on his eyes oh how I wish. But it was great thank you for the hard work.
Firehawk242 chapter 1 . 9/2/2014
I look at your word count, and suddenly all my hard work seems... Insignificant. Must write more!
Hello chapter 1 . 2/15/2014
I am not usually one for OC fanfiction, but I heard this was the longest piece of fiction ever written so congrats.
Przemeker chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
2,6kk words. Sheeeeeit. Seems like I've got something to read. I'll see you guys on the other end...
jcurt2009 chapter 272 . 1/12/2014
Man that was without a doubt the best story I've ever read. The longest too and I can't wait for more.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/5/2014
Holy crap. I'm only reviewing because this is 2.6 million words long. Wow. Earth to you for writing this story. Unfortunately, quality over quantity is something that appears to have been overlooked. But meh, your name should be on the Hall of Fame for this!
bob chapter 1 . 1/3/2014
this story is too dang long
Knight of Discord chapter 77 . 8/2/2013
I hadn't intended to write any sort of review for this fic. Mostly because I doubt that you read reviews for a story you finished years ago and which you obviously know has many flaws if your note at the beginning of chapter one is to be taken seriously. However after finishing this chapter I decided that I would like to say something, even if only for my benefit, and since I was already going to the trouble to make one observation I thought I might as well throw a few more in that have been bothering me.

Noir is a huge Gary Stu. Of course you already knew this and admitted as much in your previously mentioned note. This can be a huge risk when introducing an OC who will also be the main character of a story. I will say that in the beginning you handled him well. He has some great powers and you balance those with weaknesses that only make him more interesting, such as his muteness. You do a great job keeping him believable in the “Alien News Network” and the “A Hive at the Opera” arc. I really felt for him as he was putting up with Beast Boy's antics. He was also handled pretty well in “Bad Publicity”. But in “Stone Golem” he starts getting a little more powerful than is really believable. This trend continues on through “Silence is Crimson” pauses for a bit in “Scattered Raven”, he spends the majority of that last one possessed by Trigon so really anything he does here can be attributed to that, and goes up to factor eleven in “Full Circle”.

Trying to do a breakdown of all the ways this happened in “Full Circle” would literally destroy any scrap of a sane mind I have left so I'll make this short. In the last two days of the arc he battles Dagger's Jinx juiced goons, Dagger's normal goons, Jinx a few times, The Titans, Slade's Robots, A Slade Robot, Cinder-block, Cinder-block and Jinx at the same time, more of Dagger's goons, Jinx juiced Dagger, Cinder-block again and finally Slade himself. The last two fights happen only hours after having cut off his own left hand. He is just way too badass here. Were talking Dark Knight on his best day might hit levels of this much badassitude. From this moment on in every fight he gets into the reader will be wondering where the hell this badass guy went. He beats Slade and Cinder-block with one f! #ing hand but somehow has trouble with some washed up FBI prick in an experimental super-suit?

Also the whole “Full Circle” arc is way too convoluted. You got a guy from another dimension dropping koans about crap and two separate conspiracies going on with Slade and Dagger. The general idea isn't too hard to grasp. Slade thinks there is some natural law of the universe working in favor of the heroes, or justice or something, and he wants to turn this upside-down and inside-out by making the titans join the side of evil by torturing them until they love him. However you present this in such a verbose and disjointed fashion over like twenty very long chapters that its hard to keep up with whats going on. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who read these chapters pretty much one after the other. I can't imagine how someone would have been able to keep this straight if they were reading this before it was complete, having to wait days or weeks between each chapter.

Another thing, why the hell does Slade believe this in the first place? Is he insane? Does he ever give a reason for this other than the fact that he keeps getting his ass handed to him? Apparently he then comes to the entirely reasonable and rational conclusion that of course its not his fault, the very fabric of creation itself must be conspiring against him. So he concocts this huge convoluted mess of a plan that has so many moving parts and schemes within schemes that frankly once it was all laid bare I had to call bullshit. I'm fundamentally incapable of suspending my disbelief to the extent that would be required for me to believe this plan (even with the help of Jinx, Slade and Dagger) had even a one in a million chance of coming as close as it did to fruition.

There are several inconsistencies within the story that also give me some trouble. Obviously this is a huge fic and I can only imagine how hard it must be to keep details straight but the straw that broke the camels back was the revelation that this entire time the main character has apparently been castrated and none of his teammates are aware of this. I'll first say that I have problems with this because I was really looking forward to the development of a Raven or Super-Girl romance plot you seem to have been hinting at in the fic up to this point. It seems as though such a development would really put a damper on those prospects. However my greatest issue is that apparently no one on the team is aware of this. A big deal is made in “Full Circle” concerning the fact that Noir was given a physical examination upon his admittance to the Teen Titans. I can't imagine how any physical or scan could miss something like that, unless perhaps its a psychological thing. So I think at the absolute minimum Cyborg would know about it since he seems to be the teams medic and would have most likely been the one to perform the scan. And it seems very likely to me that Robin would know of it as well. Since he is the team leader you would think he would be familiar with the current physical condition of all of his people in case an emergency came up. Come to think of it at the end of “Full Circle” another scan or examination of some sort must have been performed on Noir to determine the extent of his injuries and surly if they hadn't noticed his castration before they would have remarked upon it then. Perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of this and Noir's remark was just a private thought or joke to himself because he was so put out by Beast Boy's teasing. Whatever the case this example is indicative of other problems within the logical progression of the fic as a whole.

I just realized that I wrote about a page and a half of mostly negative stuff here but don't take that to mean that I'm not enjoying the fic. Obviously I fell invested enough in it to take time out of my day and write probably the longest review for a fic in my entire tenure as a reader. Well perhaps this isn't so much a review as it is me bitching about some crappy points in an otherwise interesting story... Ok so it is a review. In closing I think the real strength of this fic isn't the action or watching Noir and the Titans smash super-villians. Its watching how they interact with and support each other in the time between those things. I'll tell ya, a lot of the time I'm looking forward to the few chapters of cool-down between each arc more than the chapters with fighting and action.
IamJustAnotherAnon chapter 1 . 7/31/2013
Oh my gosh, 2 million words? That's commendable XD.