Reviews for The Finder
Glory Bee chapter 4 . 7/22/2012
Lots of foreshadowing in the last few lines. :)
Glory Bee chapter 2 . 7/22/2012
How you can make me fall in love with the character of Inglor in just a few lines is a mystery to me. Of course as we see him in comparison to cranky Haleth probably helps a little. :)
MissQuigley chapter 4 . 4/15/2009
LOL. Too funny. Inglor has her all figured out. Poor Haleth.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I really like the little details you add into the story so the reader knows where they are in the timeline eg. the thing with Smaug. Very helpful.
Clodia chapter 4 . 4/15/2009
That's a glorious punchline!

I do very much like your descriptions of the mist and the trip across the lake. Also, and I haven't said this specifically before although I should have done, I do think your Haleth is a wonderful and unusual character - strong, very well written, very interesting, and wonderful precisely because she is so unusual. It's rare to see someone unafraid to give their character unlikeable edges, at least of Haleth's type (disappearing without notice, in this chapter); and rarer still for that character to be a woman. As a mercenary and/or adventurer, she is very convincing. Inglor's inscrutable Elvish innocence/omniscience is delightful as well and the balance between Haleth and Inglor is always well done and amusing.

So thank you! Please keep writing!
ziggy3 chapter 4 . 4/15/2009
Brilliant- that last couple of lines had me chuckling. This is the Inglor and Haleth I love- Haleth constantly perplexed and outwitted. Inglor - that phrase just sums him up perfectly- polite, seemingly naive and utterly implacable Elf!

The description of Haleth on the lake and the raft Elves just materialising is wonderfully accurate - I could almost smell the mist and hear the barrels. ANd then that lovely unexpected emergence of Inglor- you write so well. It's such a joy to read. I am looking forward to theior passage through Mirkwood very much!Thank you.
Aearwen22 chapter 4 . 4/14/2009
I have always loved this tale, from the first time I read through it to this time. Thank you again for sharing it with us. I look forward to reading more of Haleth's adventures with Inglor in future.
MeldaTavar chapter 4 . 4/14/2009
Aww I think I love Inglor :) Can't wait for more, keep up the great work.
Clodia chapter 3 . 2/21/2009
'Every breath burned as though it had been drawn through the Crack of Doom.' Nice line! I like the description of Haleth's weakness; and her nest sounds very appealing (though nb. typo, 'tickled she face').

'She would do what she had been doing for years and simply steal someone else's. It would make communication easier.' This is very interesting. I don't know, perhaps some other time you might write about her exploits under different names? I'd be interested the interplay between name/character, whether stealing a different name brings out different aspects of the Finder's behaviour/people's reactions to the same, that sort of thing. But perhaps that's just me. Intriguing hints at Haleth's family background.

Thanks!
Alquawende chapter 3 . 2/20/2009
Hi Haleth,

Will we learn more of how Haleth is descended from Emeldir? Also, is Inglor of the House of Finarfin by blood or by loyalty? I'm quite curious why she wants to send the arrow to Cirdan and how she knows who he is, as she is a mortal woman in the east of the Misty Mountains. Thanks for writing!

My only complaint would be that in the first chapter, the first six paragraphs begin with 'The...'
Aearwen22 chapter 3 . 2/20/2009
I thought I'd reviewed this before now...

It's good to see you posting this here. It gives us good background on Haleth and Inglor in preparation for "Pitfalls". The banter between these two, whether one is ill, well, or merely discomfited, is always highly entertaining.
ziggy3 chapter 3 . 2/20/2009
I really really like the mystery you maintain about both of their identities- although there is more of a hint about Haleth in this story than in Pitfalls as I recall. I seem to remeber she is a sort of Ranger or related in some way and clearly here she is 'noble' so must have the blood of Numenor I guess, anyway she tells us that really with her has she done though that is so terrible that she is filled witht his self-disgust? It's that really that makes the rlationship work and spark. I hope we get more insight into both if their motivations in this story- why is Inglor there? What about the Black Arrow etc etc. Why has Haleth become a sort of mercenary Finder - and she is THE finder anyway... please update soon- can't bear the suspense!
ziggy3 chapter 2 . 2/20/2009
I really love the inteplay between Inglor and Haleth. That fabulously rich grumpiness she exhibits and the conviction she is going to die is uttered with that sort of relish that can only come from someone who truly sees the downside! And you write Inglor so utterly convincingly - for example Inglor's wonderfully alien honesty:'The question was not meant as an ethical test; it was an honest query voiced by someone who simply could not comprehend duplicity.'- well he has a different sort of code as we know.

And here's the hook -'It will be needed later." Although it will be the journey that amkes this fascinating, as the Pitfalls of the Palantir did. I am so glad you are posting again- I have missed your unique humour and fabulous characters-looking forward to reading CH3!
ziggy3 chapter 1 . 2/20/2009
So sorry- I thought i had reviewed this but must have not logged in. Anyway- this just is a treasure trove of humour and delight! Inglor is just so... so... Haleth is just so Haleth- what more can I say? Brilliant prequel - mystery and suspense beautifully written. Why does Cirdan want the Black Arrow and why is Inglor there?

'He was so focused on comforting her that he did not notice her fist until it connected with his jaw.' There we go! The Haleth we know and love!
MissQuigley chapter 2 . 1/31/2009
I know last time I said Inglor had no idea what was in store for him when he met Haleth, but now I say the same to her. Haleth, you have no idea how stubborn Inglor can be...

LOL, those two are just wonderfully funny together. The personalities play off each other so well!

Hmm, I'm wondering what that Black Arrow will be needed for later.
evs127 chapter 2 . 1/30/2009
Haleth really must have rather traumatic past considering she was so disappointed to find herself alive with Inglor sitting next to her! Her persistent bitterness and his unbelievable patience creates a great contrast, talk about hot and cold! A small request, Lalaeth; would you consider loaning Inglor to me for the weekend? As I sit here, misery personified, having caught the latest strain of flu (I could literally feel Haleth's symptoms, lol), I really could do with a kind Elf looking after me ;-) Back to reality,I suppose I'd better go and fetch that tea myself :-) Thanks for another fantastic chapter, look forward to the next x