Reviews for The Garden
Holly Lukeman chapter 3 . 2/8/2009
Creepy. That's the first word I thought when I finished this chapter. Sonny's bubbling skin did nothing to dissuade me from my verdict, nor did the song playing during the scene. That's a great song, too. Very entertaining, overall.

On the not creepy side, the scene with preseries Sam and Dean around Christmas just about did me in. This is probably one of my favorite takes on how hard a time both of them had being separated from one another. Dean spending Christmas alone was painful, and Sam's admission that he missed Dean was just heartbreaking.

On the subject of the main plot, things are getting very mysterious.
Holly Lukeman chapter 2 . 2/8/2009
One of my favorite parts in this chapter was possessed Dean attacking Sam, who handled it frighteningly well, considering. I'd rather not think about what this says about me, but I find it cathartic when the guys break out the damaging emotional weapons. I think perhaps it's because I get frustrated when they perpetually keep everything bottled up.

Hopefully we'll get to see something similar in the fourth season finale. Great job with this chapter - it was handled very well.
Holly Lukeman chapter 1 . 2/8/2009
I like this story too much to not review the rest of the chapters. For convenience's sake, I appreciate you making the chapters fewer in number and longer in length. Also, it prevents me from being unhappily jerked from the moment.

Please feel no need to respond to any of reviews for this story from this point on. I am simply reviewing first because I should and second because this story deserves the time it takes.

And so begins my retro-reviewing.

This chapter had me hooked from the beginning, which I think was due in part to it starting in medias res. After that, I knew I was in for the entirety when I read the line "Some things were just easier to shoot." Very Winchester of you.

The pink bed and breakfast place disturbed me, reminding me strongly of my aunt's house. The twins were interesting, as was the implication that they didn't get much business. This led me to my suspicions that all was not well. A shocking revelation in the world of the Winchesters, I know. Fantastic hook - people killing their loved ones in a fit of rage. Really, really good.
carocali chapter 6 . 2/7/2009
I think I want an epilogue. What happened to Good and Evil? Are they just on their merry way - chasing after each other until another game comes of it?

I love that Sam really let Dean know how he was feeling about everything and why he made the choice for the snake. Telling him how hard it was to let Dean go after he died - the guilt, the pain, the failure. Nicely done!

Thanks for sharing, and think about an epilogue!

;D

carocali chapter 5 . 2/7/2009
I keep forgetting to mention that I think it's pretty cool how you made Dean tell Sam all the stuff that was bothering him. Did you read spoilers for this last episode, or were you just lucky? Gotta say, I like your version of events much better.

I like that Sonny is willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. It makes sense, but still, when faced with your mortality - even a demi-god like him - I would imagine it's still a difficult choice. Especially for the love of humans.

But they're certainly not out of the woods yet...
carocali chapter 4 . 2/7/2009
What a cool concept! This all makes perfect sense now! I do find it fascinating that Evil cannot tell which of the brothers has the heart of darkness though. Nice touch!

Onward...

carocali chapter 3 . 2/7/2009
Oops! I guess I missed the white cloud actually getting to Sam. My bad. Interesting selections for the clouds, I must say. I like that you played with that!

As for this bad ass garden, what is going on? 173 acres? Egads, what is this place and why doesn't anyone know anything about it?

Now we find out that the twins are not all that they seem (although people do avoid them like the plague, so it stands to reason that something is amiss - except, didn't someone send them there originally? I can't remember). What IS Sonny? Is Cher involved as well? And what's with their names. hee hee!

Great stuff!

Carline
carocali chapter 2 . 2/7/2009
"There was a dark cloud behind his head, hovering. It shifted its form to the right and Dean saw small eyes peering out of the blob. They watched him watching it for a second and before either of them could blink, it encircled his head. Instead of exhaling his air, he found himself inhaling... And then, just like that, it came alive. His blood felt hot and cold inside his body, it zinged his system from awake to highly alert. He felt on top of the world, synapses firing one after the other, endorphins releasing at a higher rate than humanly possible.

Flashes of color filled his vision. Reds and blues, browns and yellows. Flowers. Leaves. Branches. He took a breath through his nose and the scents overwhelmed him in one horrible attack. He felt a fear hit him hard in the gut for one brief moment and then the smell changed from floral to decay. Death and pain. And didn’t he remember that all too well? He saw the clay angel above the trail, saw the arrow pointing in…"

So... the Garden certainly holds more than we know. But what is out there, and how many of the 'whats' are there? There's a black blob and a white blob, but the white blob seemed like it couldn't really get to Sam. Good and Evil? Tainted by demon blood, so it couldn't help? Hm...

And it (black blob) attacked Cher as well, so it either does it's thing and leaves, or there's more than the two of them. Very interesting. And a little creepy!

;D

carocali chapter 1 . 2/7/2009
You've set up a lot in this chapter - giving us little glimpses of things present and past. The pace is really good and the garden is creepy as hell? Did the snake just slither back there after doing it's deed? Could it be responsible for what's going on? If not, what IS going on with this town and will the brothers be able to stop it?

geminigrl11 chapter 6 . 2/4/2009
I've been meaning to leave this review for a while...

I adored this fic. Especially this whole last chapter. You've given us, here, what half a season of the show hasn't managed yet (and probably never will): true communication, true understanding, sympathy and explanations and brotherly love beyond measure. You had me crying, but for the best possible reasons.

Sam needed to be able to say what he did. And Dean needed to really hear it-and it's so satisfying that he knew Sam needed to break. WANTED him to. That's the Dean I love. And Dean got to say his piece, too, in a way that Sam could listen to.

There are so many other fantastic elements here, too-the allegory of the garden and the snake, Sonny and Cher and their relationship...just the kind of goodness I've come to expect from your fics.

Can't wait to read what you have planned next!
supernaturaldh chapter 6 . 2/4/2009
This was an absolutely awesome story. I was hooked from beginning to end. Excellent description of the brother emotions and Sam's melt down at the end was very believeable.

Thanks for Sharing-

denise
Holly Lukeman chapter 6 . 2/2/2009
I think the one word that really sums up how I felt about this story is "mesmerizing." It was completely mesmerizing. The plot was great, the characterization was painfully accurate, and I am so happy to finally find a good story set in the more recent part of the fourth season. I see a goldmine of potential in the fourth season, but I've seen very little written about it. I'm very glad I found this story.

You did a great job with this. You should be proud. I love that you dedicated it to you mom, and I think it's a mom thing to teach kids about black, gray, and white. The good ones do that, anyway.

Once again, fantastic story.
TammiTam chapter 6 . 1/25/2009
Awesome story, a wonderful change and awesome brotherly interaction.
annj chapter 6 . 1/22/2009
Case stories are getting so rare. But the fact makes this story standing out even more.

I liked the concept of Good and Evil! And your imagery was amazing. All the details and stuff. Really nice read. I'll probably take time to look if you've written more stories.

Anja
gidgetgal9 chapter 6 . 1/21/2009
I tried to post the review yesterday but ffnet was having issues. I loved the end- It was action packed and then the brotherly confession were wonderful! Loved it- wish it happened more on the show! :0) Gidget
101 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »