Reviews for In the Fog
Murazor chapter 5 . 4/19
A fairly enjoyable attempt to write grimdark PPG fanfic (in as much as such stories can be enjoyed, at any rate) and touch upon more adult themes without completely giving up on hope. Worth recommending, in my opinion.
Shinnypichu88 chapter 5 . 4/24/2013
why'd you stop? :( it was a great story
Caveat Lector 52 chapter 5 . 1/22/2012
I don't think I've ever read anything this heart wrenching, and yet still so hopeful and beautiful, in years.
TheGreenElephant911 chapter 1 . 10/25/2011
Scratch that "seems like an insult" part on my last review. It does not "seem", it IS. My sincerest apologies.
TheGreenElephant911 chapter 5 . 10/25/2011
This is damn beautiful, to say the LEAST. And truth be told, I found this from TvTropes, knew it was going to have a bit of a dark atmosphere to it. And I hate to admit it, but I went straight to the end, not thinking I could handle all the... emotions. This might seem like an insult to you as an author. But from just reading this last chapter, I broke down crying - burst into tears - wept the quietest I could as I read it aloud.(Because that's what I do. When I find a passage that I simply adore, I want to quote them aloud and "taste" the pure wonderfully written words.) I started crying when I got to Boomer because of the "AndIMustScream" situation he was in. I'm hoping for a sequel, knowing the possibility it might not arrive. And now I must MUST go back and read the rest. I am utterly EMBARRASSED that I skipped the past chapters. I am fixing my mistakes now.
abe1803 chapter 5 . 9/27/2011
An excellent story, very powerful. The only thing left to wish for is that there was more of it... though if there was too much, I suppose it might lose its edge to some extent. (Though, if you ever wrote a sequel describing later developments, perhaps about the eventual resolution of the situation, I'm certain that nobody would be sorry.)

I don't have words for how much I love your characterization and development of Bubbles and her friends and supporters... not mention former enemies.
Trscroggs chapter 5 . 7/20/2011
I'll admit I only started reading this story because I caught the cross-over you wrote with Daria on the PPMB. Boy am I glad I did. While it has got to be the darkest and grittiest PPG fanfic I've ever read (though I haven't read many) it is also not without hope.

Excellently written, and I do wonder what the other girl's reaction will be when, if, Bubbles manages to restore Townsville. Bubbles has been through some very hard times, but at the core she is still Bubbles, just not the one I think Blossom expects and Buttercup hopes for.
Inumaru12 chapter 5 . 6/7/2011
Holy shit. This is amazing. I actually almost (was really, really close to) crying when Ace died. Please update again sometime, even though it has been months since you've updated (unless you consider this finished, and if it is, I'm a little disappointed with the ending.)

Anyway, fantastic read. :D

Inumaru12
packman23 chapter 4 . 5/25/2011
Brilliant, I don't think I can say that enough really. It's not very often that I've read a fanfic which actually stops me thinking of it like a fanfic and feels like an actual world in its own right.

On top of that this is the sort of idea which makes me wish I had come up with it myself. Even having only read this far this fic has pulled me in more than any other fic I've read so far, I particularly like the way your able to justify your darker view of the characters and then present them almost perfectly both tying in with continuity and the world you've created.

The shorts format could get a little hard to follow early on but now I'm used to it the style is quite refreshing and your way of doing action scenes either through flashback from when a character is able to think more clearly or just by report is somehow more enjoyable than actually seeing them.

I feel that I can't really say anything more about the story that either hasn't been said better by others so I'll focus on some of the short I especially enjoyed.

First View

This one was excellent, I don't usually spend much time reading superhero stories so I'm not so used to seeing their everyday lives and the fact this short seemed to so effortlessly fuse the 'what do super heroes do when their not saving lives' with 'everyone hates/wants to punish heroes for little things' was incredible. Not to mention that I did find it sort of funny that her teacher was such a monster, and yet the way both he choose to punish Bubbles, and Bubbles choose to get back at him were just so subtly brilliant that I couldn't help but enjoy this one.

Promise.

Since I've already mentioned I like your style of not showing the action sequences all the time I think the first reason I like this one is obvious. The next reason is I like the sort of depressing nature that you brought across with this one, Bubbles being unable to find the grave, how empty Ace's funeral was and the flashback to his death just seemed like perfect mirrors of the world that you've created, dark, full of confusion and ruled by a satanic madman. Yet at the same time you still managed to remind me that Bubbles is still a child.

Journey.

This is worth a special mention in the form of an apology, I must admit when I saw the perspective on this one I was annoyed. After all I really enjoyed the sense of mystery that was created by neither the reader nor the characters really knowing whether Buttercup, Blossom and the Professor were alive or dead. That sort of mystery was one of the biggest hooks to read on and I was worried knowing what had happened to them would ruin this.

I'm very pleased to say I must retract all these criticisms immediately, Buttercup's perspective was a master-piece, different from Bubbles' but still with all of the brilliant emotion and difficulty adjusting that's carried through this entire fic. It didn't tell us what happened to them, it didn't elaborate on how their powers had developed but it used every sentence to show me just how these characters think and how deep into their world you really thought. And as an added bonus Bubbles and her sisters are still put no closer to meeting each other or resolving this crisis, but it made me feel there was hope.

My favourite short however is one which is on a completely different note to that. Dreams. Probably the darkest one so far (debatably) but the most enjoyable to read. Not only does it get right inside Bubbles' head (both literally and metaphorically) and show us just what she wishes for and what she's afraid of, but it also shows you the sort of things which turned her into what she is now and finally the thing which turned her into it.

I love the way him was written, you manage to create this dark depraved creature the show claimed he was and sit it side by side with the effeminate, very creepy but at the same time humourous thing in the show itself, then add something unique into Him that just makes my skin crawl. I must admit a bias here, I love villains who have all the power they need to kill the hero and just put it off for style, Him is sort of like that here literally nothing could stop him from crushing Bubbles a million times over and bringing her back to crush again, or turning her on Townsville and killing the other Powerpuff girls just like in that dream. But that wouldn't be fun, that's what makes Him so monumentally terrifying in this fic, I find my self able to sympathise with Bubbles not just because of what she has to go through, but because I get the feeling that she's not broken by Him because she's weak, no she's broken simply because she's not quite a strong as he is yet and he revels in his ability to remind her of this.

I could probably go on but then I'd be writing a novel just to glorify yours and I don't feel I need to do that, you know how good your work is I'm sure and I'm frankly amazed that this doesn't have hundreds of reviews already, it was certainly more than deserving of the recommended link that helped me find it.
JetWarrior chapter 5 . 1/31/2011
This is the story that I've always wanted to write. I'm so glad you're writing it instead, because I could never, EVER do it so much justice. EVERYTHING about it is amazing - the plot, the vignette structure it's presented in, the darkness that oozes over it like tar, the intensity (oh man, the intensity!)...but more than all that, the best thing about this story is Bubbles.

Bubbles is one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time, and this is perhaps the best evolution of her character that I could ever hope to read...not simply because she's a badass here (and she is, absolutely), but really because some of this is what I saw in her during the cartoon. So many times, Bubbles is just shown to be "the little girl, the innocent one, etc.," but I always saw her as the one who, no matter what, would strive to do what's right, and who would be the last one of the girls to break if ever there were strong enough motivation to stop being a hero.

I actually thought that Bubbles' inner strength was downplayed in the cartoon a bit, and I'd always wanted to write a story that showcased it while keeping her in character...but here it is in your story, presented so perfectly (despite being exposed in extreme conditions), that I don't even have a desire to come up with a story to write, but only to keep reading yours!

So yes...THANK YOU so much for writing this, and for this section of a dark shining light to look forward to. Even if it takes another year, I can't wait to see how the story will take shape, and what Bubbles will have to face in the future.
anthropomorphizer chapter 5 . 1/30/2011
Wooot! Another Chapter! I actually dropped everything to read this when I got the alert. Its quite interesting to read about Bubble's various travails, although I look forward to reading about something big happening. Keep up the great work!

P.S. No idea which fandom #24 came from.
AngelForm chapter 5 . 1/30/2011
Theresa is from Recess I believe.

On the off chance I am first, what happened to Mojo?

Once again a true work of art.

Although it seems to be developing more plot that you originally intended. I approve.

Good rendition of the RRBs.

Also good to find that Him does have limits and is rather close to them.
AnimeMew chapter 5 . 1/30/2011
Theresa Lamaise is 'Cornchip Girl' from Recess. :
Caveat Lector 52 chapter 4 . 1/13/2011
This was tragic, hopeful, heartbreaking, uplifting and just damn near fantastic! You did a great good blending the sweat, innocent childish Bubbles we all know with this new harden warrior she's become. There are a few misplaced commas though, so you might want to fix that. Still, one of the best fics I've ever read. Bravo!
nonars chapter 4 . 10/11/2010
The different emotions conveyed are utterly amazing. Cover and Promise was beautiful, and the characters are really likable in the way you write them. The scenarios you have written are absolutely fascinating, in a way that makes one want to know more about said event.