Reviews for Five Moments That Shaped John Sheppard
purrfus chapter 5 . 1/27/2009
Unexpectedly sweet. Sad how his life has not been what he wanted / needed, but you have written it lovingly.
Asugar chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
Ow. You see the train wreck coming and yet you can't stop it. Heck he see the train wreck coming. Perfectly captures that point in your life when you still need to make these mistakes (which you know are mistakes) just to make them, make them yourself and learn.
Asugar chapter 2 . 1/27/2009
I love this part too. John is deeply patriotic and so often people miss this and the kind of dedication and love of country it takes to be career military and in the field for all of it like he is/has been. Yes, he's deeply alienated from almost everything but the core values of Honor, Duty, Country are there, guiding and shaping him. Incredibly insightful. I think this may be one of your most emotionally sophisticated and deep stories yet. I like all the ambiguities and pain in it and the understanding that people can be wrong and hurt one another deeply without being cartoon villains or even bad people.
Asugar chapter 3 . 1/27/2009
This is so powerful. I like the OC and how you use him. Your John is so crushed and broken but strong, liked jagged broken glass, cutting you if you try to touch.
Asugar chapter 4 . 1/27/2009
Ooh. Crushing. Definitely nailed him as a person willing to do the right but terrible, unpopular and will-kill-you-it's-so-difficult thing.

Great twist.
Asugar chapter 5 . 1/27/2009
Same as on LJ... Oh this is the John in Antartica I have been wanting to read. Everyone always muddies it with McShep (which I hate anyway) and misses how soothing someone so emotionally locked up and damaged must find it. Sorry it's taken me so long to say so, because my life is beyond crazy busy, but I really like this story. The emotions are gorgeously done throughout and the angst factor is high, just like I like it. You really get into his feelings of failure in every sector of his life and it rings true.

I'm not sure if you like constructive criticism. If not, just ignore me.

There are some military and misc small mistakes but I can skim over them because of how involving it is and how perfect your Sheppard voice is. I'm not sure I see him getting a vasectomy for instance. In fact, can't see it all but I have read that in other stories so I am probably alone there. It's just that despite everything, there is an indomitable optimism, hope and bone-deep longing for family and belonging in Sheppard and I think it would prevent him from taking such a permanent action. Yes, they can be reversed but not always.
APFW chapter 5 . 1/23/2009
Wow, such a powerful and authentic story. I can see how this story would fit right into the SGA saga. Please continue with Teyla.
jtjaforever chapter 5 . 1/20/2009
Nice ending. Now are you planning on following up with something similar with Teyla...hum?

Great writing as always.
jtjaforever chapter 4 . 1/19/2009
I left FB on LJ, but wanted to do so here as well. You have given us more backstory on John than we got all of S5(if you don't count Vegas) than TPTB ever gave us. Nice storytelling as always.
Fitzroy chapter 4 . 1/19/2009
I've just read the last chapter so I need to go back and read the beginning but I have to tell you now, WOW. I've known since Flicker what a powerful writer you are but reading just this chapter took my breath away. I can't wait to get caught up on the rest and await breathlessly for the rest.
jtjaforever chapter 2 . 1/11/2009
I'm liking this. So is this our AU John or our PG John?