Reviews for Eulogies and Epitaphs
constantlearner chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
I liked this too!
crazysmile15 chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
Caspian's gotta get some self-esteem, but I really love how realistic this is. Because a lot of the time we don't really know what happens after "happily ever after", and if the Prince is even all that confident. All around awesome! XD
Quill and Saber chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
I actually really, really like this one. Caspian had been brought up to have crippling insecurities due to a lack of affection in his early life; I suppose we have Caspian's nurse to thank for the fact he was even in a condition in which his insecurities could eventually be fixed. In any case, wonderful unique portrayal of the relationship. I'd love to see where it will lead if this is where it started.
DragonyPhoenix chapter 1 . 2/16/2009
Took me a while to critique. You write better than I do and I thought the quality was perfectly acceptable. I've not seen the movie and am only vaguely familiar with the books.

What I love. "it would only draw her attention to the flaws he was trying desperately to hide from her". That is just so human. Excellent. And this is a great bit: "The princess’ arsenal of lethal and terrifying virtues".

Also love the very last line. He's afaid of driving her away but that's exactly what his actions are doing. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

So, Caspian is trying to appear calm, in control, detached but underneath it all he's a sea of roiling emotions. His speech patterns seem more intellectual, in his head, than emotional, coming from his gut. He seems to be detached from the emotions he's speaking of. I've been writing for less than a year so I'm not exactly sure what might help but try making the language less formal. You use very long words, like distressed. I think a shorter word might have more punch to it or more emotion behind it. I want to feel what he's feeling, not see what he's thinking.

I hope that made sense and actually helped.
Verity Kindle chapter 1 . 1/29/2009
This is actually really good- the best beginnings are the simplest. I like the little details, like the problems he still has to deal with, economic troubles, etc.

Caspian's introspection is interesting- angst without melodrama. He thinks he wasn't meant to be loved? Ouch. Why would he think that- I'm eager to find out.
Mephistofeliz chapter 1 . 1/25/2009
Aww. *hugs GeneralizedAnxietyDisorder!Caspian* He needs modern pharmocological help; it is too bad he lives in an AU adjacent to our reality. Don't worry, I will pelt some Zoloft through the dusty old coats in my closet and perhaps it will somehow reach him in Narnia.

What's the term I'm looking for that describes this.. oh, it's: stream of consciousness. Actually it's more like white water rapids of consciousness, which is just that much funner. Very unique. I totally loves.
SailorKMoonie chapter 1 . 1/18/2009
Hi...okay, so was that Susan in bed with him or the daughter in Dawn Treader? And why is Caspian feeling so hateful towards himself. the Caspian I remember is a little cocky at times.

Besides Caspian's charater being...a little off, he's well written. The emotions and feelings are very well put. I hope you keep writing, but I fear what you may write about.

_
Rinvasaiel chapter 1 . 1/13/2009
Please do not have confidence issues. There is nothing wrong with your work. In fact, it's some of the better Suspian writing I've seen.
garnetred chapter 1 . 1/13/2009
Excellent story. I can't wait to read your other story and that this one shot will help break this block of your. Please write soon.
thunderings chapter 1 . 1/13/2009
I don't know what brought on your lack of confidence in writing. This was absolutely brilliant. I can actually picture that Caspian would actually perhaps feel like this after the battle. I loved how you tied in that he 'hates fairy tales.' Oh, the irony.

:D

Honestly, at first I thought the princess in bed with him was Ramandu's daughter. I thought the line; 'Any day now, he knew, she could realize her mistake and leave.' Was perhaps her finding out Caspian didn't truly love her; like at the end. It wasn't until I looked up at the top and realized this was Suspian. *Facepalm* Well, either way you spin it, it was great!

I did see a few misspelled words here and there, but it's nothing big. Hope you feel better soon.