Reviews for Shards of Memory
Michael Mario chapter 8 . 3/30
Alright! The fight scenes were both great in quality... granted, Terra and Onion's was kind of short... but still good. Now in the aftermath, Onion Knight is gone, Terra's hair is green signifying her powers now being more active (I really liked that touch- it's been part of my headcanon since the first time I read this among other moments), and Cloud and her have an agreement not to pressure either of each to reveal their secrets. That's going to go over well.

Terra breaking at the end and letting herself cry when she believed she ended up killing the Onion Knight was nicely done. Her recovery perhaps even more so. Golbez hit it home: the courage flowing through her after discovering the Onion Knight was still alive and that still could still save him did well to alleviate her sorrow. Golbez can be a bit of a dick in his aid, but a good-hearted and well-meaning dick. Good chapter!
Michael Mario chapter 7 . 3/30
The similarities Cloud sees between Terra and Aerith continue to come up... not that he can remember the latter. Though I'm not sure if her emotional state was developed well enough at the time, it is possible Terra may have held a crush on Locke for a while... she grew out of it, obviously, but that would explain the blushing. Likely, her dampened emotions let her get over him without much difficulty, so good for her.

And now we know for certain Golbez is definitely not working for Chaos, but against him and his warriors from the inside. The puppet master knows his stuff... Jecht knew Golbez was trying to manipulate him, but it doesn't matter if he'd want to do it anyway.

Terra's Esper form's eyes are stated as red here... Might want to fix that for continuity's sake. Other than that, here we go! Cloud vs. Jecht! Onion Knight vs. Feral Terra!
Michael Mario chapter 6 . 3/30
Well, well, well. the three "Angels of Death" scheming together... that's a recipe for disaster already, and their plot is guaranteed to cause our main protagonists grief.

And now we learn more about the villains' motivations in siding with Chaos. The power to control one's fate... certainly sounds like something Ultimecia would want rather badly- given it's because of her future self's actions in the past through Time Compression and the like that drove her to insanity due to the intense prejudice she received in her time. Golbez and Jecht aren't going to waste a chance to restore themselves and their homelands, even if they dislike the means they appear to have taken to meet this end.

I notice a distinct lack of the Cloud of Darkness's trademark replacement use of "We" for "I". I'm guessing that's intentional?

Looks like Cloud isn't stupid- he knows Terra isn't telling him the whole truth, but isn't going to press anything. Terra, on her part... telling him she was a Magi probably would have been a better lie, but being a Magitek Knight was probably best for the story. Now we're seeing them kick ass and Terra got to demonstrate her incredible magical prowess... What was it Cloud used to get the Crystelle together so Terra could wipe them out with Ultima?

The plot point of the Crystelle resembling other people due to being made of the memories leaking from the light of Crystals is interesting... shame this, to my knowledge, is the only time it's relevant. Seeing Terra have to face one of Celes, Locke, or even General Leo could have been interesting.

Good chapter!
Michael Mario chapter 5 . 3/29
Terra's Esper senses and the powers of the Cetra ultimately aren't so different. Terra's senses and powers feeling soothed by the flowers in Aerith's church and the sense of death she feels around the rest of Midgar does well to further demonstrate the similarities between them.

And so they meet. Terra... certainly has plenty of experience with not knowing who or what she is, and you can really tell that in her words to Cloud. Their interactions so far are smooth sailing and they seemed to have forged a decent understanding of each other through their cases of amnesia. There's still a lot to go, but the beginning is quite promising.

Looks like Sephy doesn't know what to do right now. On one end, he's rather interested in her- perhaps similarly to how he was in Aerith. On the other hand, having Kefka anywhere near his plans is a no-no. Golbez's suggestion for them to join together appears to not be high on Sephiroth's list, but Kefka seems to be interested- if only to have fun being a nuisance to the silver-haired bishouen.
darrelodin chapter 41 . 3/29
An outstanding story! The amount of work and detail in this was incredible, and I loved every second of it. So glad I had the chance to read this.
Michael Mario chapter 4 . 3/28
Aerith... his memories of her are definitely some of Cloud's most important- especially in regard to Sephiroth. Sephiroth's murdering her is what really drove Cloud to end him once and for all and keep going. Without her, yes- he's easy pickings. Seeing Cloud hurting is saddening...

Firion and his many, many weapons... eventually, Vaan would take that distinction of having the most weapons away from him in Duodecim, but he's still the Weapon Specialist. You detailed where each of the latches are placed, even... impressive. Not a whole lot of people (myself included) would go into the effort figuring out where each part is... probably due to lack of interest in doing so.

The guy is my least favorite to play as by leaps in bounds... but you did a really good job, here. By far, the guy is likely the most 'normal' of all of Cosmos's warriors, and I think his characterization here is perfect. The fight scenes were great, too. Cloud winning in Dissidia... kind of defeated the purpose of needing to find a dream, so him being on the losing end here makes more sense.

Midgar... It is pretty similar to Vector- could be an inspiration for it. Looks like Terra is feeling at home in Aerith's room... Good chapter! I remember next one... sweet Terra and Cloud interaction BEGINS!
Michael Mario chapter 3 . 3/26
Ah, Terra... Probably my favorite video game character and one of my all-time favorite characters period. You characterize her exactly how I imagine: she's a little shy, but generally sociable when she becomes involved in a group. Kind and sweet, but not entirely innocent after the hell she's been through, but pure in heart. There's always this mysterious and mystical air about her, but rather then distancing people, that air is warm and inviting rather than cold and unforgiving.

When comes to her powers, she can be understandably fearful and sometimes unreasonable in regards to them. Her fears lie in what the future holds when she doesn't have anything to aim for or is going to lose it. She keeps her worries bottled to her chest, though, and getting them out of her can be rather difficult. She isn't necessarily a coward, far from it, but those fears can overwhelm her. She can get angry and god help you if she does because while it's hard to really get her pissed, you are going to regret if you do.

She isn't downright sexy or necessarily cool in her appearance like Tifa or Lightning respectively, but her design does grant her a rather mystic air and grace in her Amano artwork. Once Dissidia took her into 3-D, though, she noticeably gained a new trait in the process: she was adorable. It fits her personality pretty well, all things considered. One of her hobbies is fluffing moogles, one of her favorite things is animals, and she dislikes crowds. Even her Esper form, though certainly scary when you're fighting it and when she's berserk she's sent into a feral mindset... there is an exotic beauty similar to that of her human form.

When it comes down to it, she's a determined, courageous young woman who's willing do protect those she cares about and fight for a future where people can live in peace. She was willing to put her life on the line when it came to destroying the Triad and Kefka, and even in the end where she was set to fade, she faced the possibility with selfless bravery.

Nomura mishandled Terra in Dissidia, though... Granted, the scenario supervisor Toriyama didn't want her in the game in the first place, so I'm guessing quality in her characterization wasn't deemed important by him... Whether it hurts her more or less than the character he does like and obsesses over like Lightning and Yuna, is up for debate. She's kind of better in Duodecim in that she ends stronger... except with that scene of her begging for death. That wasn't cool...

...Didn't like Vaan there very much in that game, either- especially given how his character was turned into a moronic Locke-clone. If you're going to have him help Terra, do it by his own merits. I've looked at and have a copy of the Japanese translations; some of that dialogue was taken word for word from there and I suspect when they do release a remake, it'll be very close to what's in Duodecim. They also demonstrated a greater impact the Slave Crown's destruction had on Terra's mental state as far as even speaking consistently at first went- it's kind of part of my head-canon and I'd like to have that included in the remake's re-translation.

...How old is Terra right now, exactly? In this story, anyway? I can see that at least four years have passed since FFVI began- maybe six, but I'm not sure. I don't recall it being outright stated anywhere. I know some of the plot threads related to your FFVI-2 idea are mentioned to be starting according to future chapters, but... hrm.

Okay, after that massive rant, let's get onto Kefka and Sephiroth.

Kefka... that psychotic son of a gun you can't help but love to hate, and his characterization here certainly shows why. The clown's not so much fun and games as he is rape and murder, but he'll make some twisted fun and games out of it to entertain him. He outright can't comprehend love and compassion anymore and is a completely unstable nutjob. Despite his, he's deceptively clever. Terra hit it well here: you can't trust what he says, but you can't discount it either.

Sephy, Sephy, Sephy... he's a pragmatic bastard, he is. His motives are clear: screw Cloud over and take over the world. What hurts him, though, is that (apparently) he's too fixated on torturing Cloud to truly be effective as a villain. And even then, he doesn't do much for most of the game than lead Cloud and co. around the world to screw with them. When he does show up, it leaves an impact, but given his infrequent appearances and the bizarre, unclear way he makes his objectives known doesn't really help things.

You need guidebooks to understand exactly WHY he's as fixated on Cloud and continues to be to the point he's filtered with only that goal in mind in his future appearances. Here, though, it's clear he can be both a vengeful bastard and a more active, effective villain at the same time. Good job!

Terra's origin story through Kefka's view point... Not a happy place to be. Terra's backstory is already one of the saddest and cruelest in the series. You know it was a completely loveless environment given she was bred as a weapon and not treated like a human being. Add Kefka into the mix... and the not-good is multiplied tenfold. Kefka makes it pretty clear he didn't find the torture they put her through satisfying enough if she didn't break.

I've got in my head-canon things got rather... ugly, with Kefka involved, and something rhyming with grape came into play. It worked too well, obviously, and drove Terra temporarily insane until she was able to recuperate to the point she wasn't a incoherent, crying, babbling mess. Probably more than once without Gestahl knowing, but the emperor only cared because it wasn't working rather than any sort of concern for Terra... and given how he wanted Kefka and Celes to 'get busy' at the Floating Continent, I'm guessing he may have encouraged it to an extent.

Once again, not much to complain about here... other than it isn't made horribly clear that this isn't the first time Terra and Kefka met since this war began. I think that's it. A really long review, sorry about that, but good chapter!
Michael Mario chapter 2 . 3/26
And so the setting is more established. A post-apocalyptic mish-mash world where the geography is twisted, time is nearly-meaningless, cats and dogs are living together, and almost all life sentient life is extinguished... Good stuff.

Something I forgot to comment on last chapter is that I liked the characterizations that started here and grew going on. Due to his rather gross mishandling in post-FFVII releases, the image I think a lot of people have of him and hate him for is this broody, ultra angsty individual that appeals to your Twilight fangirls when he really wasn't in the original game. That was one of Nomura's biggest screw-ups with Advent Children, but he does seem to learn from his mistakes. Crisis Core and Dissidia both show signs of this.

As for Terra... she isn't in this chapter, but I've got a rant on how she was mishandled coming up next time. Not as bad as Cloud, but damn...

FFIV DS was my first Final Fantasy. While my soft spot for it has kind of lessened since I moved onto FFVI GBA, FFVII, and FFIX, it's still present and it's clear your claim to being an expert on the game is well-founded. Speaking of remakes (kind of- I'm changing the subject), I'm glad that the smartphone version of FFVI is considered a port... an initially buggy and typo-filled one, granted (not cool), but just a port instead of a remake. (Which reminds me- I need to delete this rant I had at the end of "Terra's First Night" about the subject since it isn't valid anymore).

Firion and his weapons... more on that in the Cloud vs. Firion chapter. You were pretty effective in using them here, though. Shame Firion's bow isn't one of those magical ones where the ammo is loaded with a warp spell returning it to its quiver... but beggars can't be choosers. Especially seeing as any mage that could help you with that is kind of... well... gone.

Ah, the Phantom Train... I'm guessing there's an implied reason for them being more careful about making sure the living don't board... y'know... probably don't want the thing getting Suplexed again. Good chapter!
Michael Mario chapter 1 . 3/26
All right... so... While I'm beginning to rewrite the earlier chapters of Neo Dissidia... because damn, it's been needing that for a while- I edited them before, but I've been hesitant to fully change them. Not anymore, though... ugh. I can see why you didn't review :P. Where was I? Right: reviewing. Anyway, it's probably good to closely revisit my original inspiration and take notes by reviewing this puppy on a chapter-to-chapter basis. Let's get cracking.

Okay, one question comes to mind. Kefka mentions screwing around with Terra's memories here- a plotline that was ultimately discarded. Is that supposed to still be here? Is Kefka lying here to attract Sephiroth's attention?

Other than that, I guess there's only one continuity error related to Revelations where Cloud is able to tell by looking in Esper Terra's eyes that it's her. Here, it's said they're yellow. If it's the pupils that turned yellow in her berserk state and not her irises (which would still be light blue), that would work.

Good chapter! Onto the next one when I can.
Forsaken Beast chapter 41 . 12/22/2013
I'd really enjoy at least a one-shot to see what life for Terra and Cloud is like after all this craziness. I love this fanfic btw, and it's one of my favorites for any Final Fantasy related fanfic. Frankly, it's leagues better than the story that the actual game had. lol
Magic Detective chapter 41 . 12/15/2013
This fic was very good, and I love the quotes you add in at the beginning.

Very fitting you chose quotes of Chaos and Cosmos for chapters 37-39, with 40 having the description of Omega from V.

I nearly had a squeal when you chose Kairi's poem from Kingdom Hearts as the quotes for the Epilogue

It's a fitting closure, Jecht and Golbez are back in the home worlds, and our couple is together.

I applaud you!
GreatPeace chapter 41 . 9/29/2013
Oh mother of god, mother of god O_o It's ... The Best Fanfic ever, I never read a Fanfic with a good idea, really, I'm not disappointed. Oh mother of god ...
I love the crack pairing TerraXCloud it's really beautiful. I don't have the word for say how I'm feel ... really ...
Oh please, Can I do to draw fanart on this fanfic *w* Please w
Tintti chapter 31 . 11/28/2012
Hey! I would like to say something about your chapter 31 where the Emperor and Jecht battle. I am a veeery big Emperor fan and this chapter really made me furious. The way you mock Mateus and his powers is outrageous! First of all he is defeated by Jecht alone! Lets recall Final Fantasy 10...in this game Jecht is only a human with some powers granted by Yu Yevon. And in FF2 Mateus is already really powerful IN THE BEGINNING of the game and in the end of the story he is literally TWO GODS AT THE SAME TIME! So Mateus Jecht but how is it that even when the Emperor has the crystal of darkness he is easily defeated and Jecht can land blows on the Emperor like his powers were nothing (and now the Emperor literally is a god with his crystal). And on top of that Jecht smashed Mateusmeteor (STARFALL! Which is the Emperors GREATEST ATTACK!) to pieces with JUST BARE HANDS! (In this scene my mind was shouting "WHAT THE FUUUUCK!") And when Chaos kills the Emperor he literally throws away his only MASTERMIND. Mateus created their schemes and is the most intelligent of all the villains. So (stupid) Chaos just throws his greatest asset into a pool of lava... _ and the Emperors pleading and crying to Chaos to safe his life was so OFF CHARACTER. He is the fucking EMPEROR! HE WILL NEVER PLEAD OR CRY TO ANYONE! And his death over all was really insulting to this great character - Mateus deserves better. I understand if you prefer Jecht over Mateus but that scene wasnt realistic and I really dont get why you even wrote that SHITTT! (sorry...) in your great story. I really enjoyed this far. But I dont know if I can bring myself to read your story to the end. You ruined my favorite character and I can never forgive you. ( sorry if I was too harsh on you...)
RandomReviewer chapter 41 . 9/26/2012
Thank you so much for writing this, it's been an enjoyable ride from beginning to end. The action was epic, the storyline itself intriguing, and every character was fleshed out so well, you left no one's story undertold.

I know that sometimes writing something this massive and sticking to it can be one of the hardest challenges to accomplish, but you've more than surpassed those challenges, and the passion you have shows brightly through the words in this story.

Here's to this story's Cloud and Terra, and all of their comrades.
Ikatsui chapter 41 . 9/12/2012
I very much enjoyed this. It took me several days to finish, and I enjoyed the time I wasted. This fanfic is superb, dragging me along for quite the ride.

Now, if only you made a continuation. Terra adjusting to life in Cloud's world would be quite the interesting fic.