Reviews for Shards of Memory
ChaosDeathscytheEnd chapter 41 . 12/31/2017
I really, really want to see some kind of a sequel for this. I know it probably wont happen, but i really want to. I really enjoyed this story.
InazumaFrost chapter 41 . 9/1/2017
It's mid-late 2017 and somehow this fanfic, despite being written over 8 years ago, does not show its age in any way. I can safely say that this is one of my all time favorites, and definetely my favorite finished fanfic so far. I can't say I regret binge-reading through the entire thing in less than 4 days, it was that hooking.

The story is one of the better takes I've seen on the concept of Dissidia. It keeps enough details the same as in the original in order to not make it unrecognizable, but otherwise the rest was changed in unexpected ways. The nature of the cycle, the crystals, the complete revamp of the Warrior of Light and his title, among others, gave the world of the cycles its very own identity separate from the original game. I maintain that good worldbuilding can only happen on the base of a strong story, and the well written events and journey successfully gave way to the new world of the cycles. The scheming between the several parties added enough suspense to keep a reader on their toes, giving them just enough information to guess the effect any event would have on the larger picture.

The story wouldn't have mattered much if we didn't care about the characters, but not only is that not an issue in this fanfic; the characters are the shining gem of it. Cloud and Terra both undergo character development that far surpasses what one would expect to find in a fanfic. Their trials and past serve not only to slowly bring them closer in friendship and romance, but also to make them stronger and steel them for the next trial. I found myself invested in these characters; I wanted to know where would their trials lead them, when would they grow closer to one another, and I wanted to see them succeed. The supporting cast was also engaging, with the Warriors of Cosmos still having their own chances to shine in the story whenever they appeared, and the Warriors of Chaos featured in the fic served their roles well and led to interesting interractions between them, most notably with Sephiroth, Golbez and Kefka.

Finally, I would have to speak about the "shipping" aspect of the fic. Cloud and Terra showed a good amount of chemistry in the fic, working together towards their goals and supporting each other when they most needed it. I liked how the romance was more nudged towards a subtle direction rather than shameless flirting as it is often seen in other stories, letting their actions around each other speak louder than their words. While the conclusion to this romance could be seen as a massive "Deus ex Machina" moment when one thinks about it too much (somehow a stray materia shard allows the lifestream to open a portal between worlds), I really didn't care when I first read it, and I still don't care much about that issue. I wanted to see these characters happy together in the end, metaphysics and laws of the multiverse be damned. If you as a writer can get the reader to shut down their brain for a moment because of their emotional investment, then I think that's the mark of a great romance.

Overall, I'm glad I read through this story. It is very well written, engaging and entertaining. I probably wanted to see more of what happened to Cloud and Terra after the story, but I think that's better left to the imagination. Scenarios come and go to my head without cease, such as Cloud trying to explain to his friends the whole story about how he met Terra, her meeting the orphans, seeing the "magical side" of the Planet, etc.

Thank you Drake, for all the hours of writing and work that went into this fic. I know that you have moved on to new projects, your writing having improved since then most likely, but this one is truly a special one.

-InazumaFrost.
VFR6 chapter 36 . 4/5/2016
I like to have a headcanon where this fic happened after FF7/FF10 xover fic, "Gone", where Cloud got lost in Lifestream, knocked his head, and have an amnesia. Long story short, Yuna took care of him till he is better, and deciding to go with Cloud back to Gaia, as she is letting go of Tidus.
Cue just after the end of prologue of this fic, where Cloud and Terra riding Fenrir back to Edge, and Cloud remember, Aerith is not the only women, whose memory Sephiroth erased, Yuna's time with him on Spira and Gaia were also erased, and just now returning to him. Yuna were out of town, doing a gig concert somewhere else, that was why Cloud didnt see her back in Edge.

And now, on Fenrir, sat Cloud numbstruck and dumbstruck on how is he going to explain to Yuna and Tifa, how he got another girl from another world to fall for him, and willing to literally abandon her whole world to be with him. And not the first time either.

Romance and drama ahoy!
VFR6 chapter 35 . 4/4/2016
Wait, why isnt anyone question why all the worlds developed same linguistic uses? Be it written or spoken?

Magic?
VFR6 chapter 5 . 3/29/2016
Ah, Cloud following Terra's advice on some matter. Somewhat, ironic, I guess? Since Terra is ff6, and Cloud is ff7, its like taking advice from your older sister.
Eveleech chapter 1 . 3/29/2016
Why exactly would Cloud and Terra fall in love? And Sephiroth is not exactly evil in Dissidia. He refused to take part in villainous plans to tale over or destroy the world. His only goal was to get his memories back and screw with Cloud. I can't see Kefka and him working together at all.
Guest chapter 41 . 10/27/2015
I got this headcanon, where this ending merge with, or happened months after snarechan's Gone fic. Where an amnesiac Cloud ended up at Spira, post FfX and pre FFX2. He managed to romanced Yuna, and at the end his lost memory returned, he goes back to Planet of FF7 with Yuna. Now imagined these two story merging, and once Cloud came back with Terra to 7th Heaven, he remembered that Yuna too was there. World Jumping makea memory problem tough to sort through. Now Cloud got two, offworld girlfriend that he managed to convince to left behind everything, up to their world, just to be with him. The dude got mad game.
Kyo-2 chapter 32 . 6/21/2015
Type your review , WHAT A FIC !

no fluffiness
yet still turned me into a diehard Cloud x terra shipper ! _

( Sorry if my English sucks )
BrownEyesAngel chapter 41 . 10/26/2014
Wow! This story...it's wonderful! It was so very enjoyable, the plot and the characters, everything. Thank you for sharing your story.
VFR6 chapter 1 . 5/17/2014
Marking as favourite. :D
Michael Mario chapter 8 . 3/30/2014
Alright! The fight scenes were both great in quality... granted, Terra and Onion's was kind of short... but still good. Now in the aftermath, Onion Knight is gone, Terra's hair is green signifying her powers now being more active (I really liked that touch- it's been part of my headcanon since the first time I read this among other moments), and Cloud and her have an agreement not to pressure either of each to reveal their secrets. That's going to go over well.

Terra breaking at the end and letting herself cry when she believed she ended up killing the Onion Knight was nicely done. Her recovery perhaps even more so. Golbez hit it home: the courage flowing through her after discovering the Onion Knight was still alive and that still could still save him did well to alleviate her sorrow. Golbez can be a bit of a dick in his aid, but a good-hearted and well-meaning dick. Good chapter!
Michael Mario chapter 7 . 3/30/2014
The similarities Cloud sees between Terra and Aerith continue to come up... not that he can remember the latter. Though I'm not sure if her emotional state was developed well enough at the time, it is possible Terra may have held a crush on Locke for a while... she grew out of it, obviously, but that would explain the blushing. Likely, her dampened emotions let her get over him without much difficulty, so good for her.

And now we know for certain Golbez is definitely not working for Chaos, but against him and his warriors from the inside. The puppet master knows his stuff... Jecht knew Golbez was trying to manipulate him, but it doesn't matter if he'd want to do it anyway.

Terra's Esper form's eyes are stated as red here... Might want to fix that for continuity's sake. Other than that, here we go! Cloud vs. Jecht! Onion Knight vs. Feral Terra!
Michael Mario chapter 6 . 3/30/2014
Well, well, well. the three "Angels of Death" scheming together... that's a recipe for disaster already, and their plot is guaranteed to cause our main protagonists grief.

And now we learn more about the villains' motivations in siding with Chaos. The power to control one's fate... certainly sounds like something Ultimecia would want rather badly- given it's because of her future self's actions in the past through Time Compression and the like that drove her to insanity due to the intense prejudice she received in her time. Golbez and Jecht aren't going to waste a chance to restore themselves and their homelands, even if they dislike the means they appear to have taken to meet this end.

I notice a distinct lack of the Cloud of Darkness's trademark replacement use of "We" for "I". I'm guessing that's intentional?

Looks like Cloud isn't stupid- he knows Terra isn't telling him the whole truth, but isn't going to press anything. Terra, on her part... telling him she was a Magi probably would have been a better lie, but being a Magitek Knight was probably best for the story. Now we're seeing them kick ass and Terra got to demonstrate her incredible magical prowess... What was it Cloud used to get the Crystelle together so Terra could wipe them out with Ultima?

The plot point of the Crystelle resembling other people due to being made of the memories leaking from the light of Crystals is interesting... shame this, to my knowledge, is the only time it's relevant. Seeing Terra have to face one of Celes, Locke, or even General Leo could have been interesting.

Good chapter!
Michael Mario chapter 5 . 3/29/2014
Terra's Esper senses and the powers of the Cetra ultimately aren't so different. Terra's senses and powers feeling soothed by the flowers in Aerith's church and the sense of death she feels around the rest of Midgar does well to further demonstrate the similarities between them.

And so they meet. Terra... certainly has plenty of experience with not knowing who or what she is, and you can really tell that in her words to Cloud. Their interactions so far are smooth sailing and they seemed to have forged a decent understanding of each other through their cases of amnesia. There's still a lot to go, but the beginning is quite promising.

Looks like Sephy doesn't know what to do right now. On one end, he's rather interested in her- perhaps similarly to how he was in Aerith. On the other hand, having Kefka anywhere near his plans is a no-no. Golbez's suggestion for them to join together appears to not be high on Sephiroth's list, but Kefka seems to be interested- if only to have fun being a nuisance to the silver-haired bishouen.
darrelodin chapter 41 . 3/29/2014
An outstanding story! The amount of work and detail in this was incredible, and I loved every second of it. So glad I had the chance to read this.