Reviews for Raincheck
Mzzmarie chapter 1 . 12/10/2010
Beautiful!
LittleLurker chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
Wow... just wow!

I'm stunned by this masterpiece of a story. There's everything in it I so love about these brothers! ...and well, I have to admit that I'm usually lost for words after reading what people like you are able to do, so I look into the reviews (a little stunned this piece *only* got 24 of them, it should have something like 124, or so) and I wholeheartedly agree with SophieSaulie and Twinchy.

Even the last two paragraphs SophieSaulie picked out, Dean's reason for being so scared, for wearing himself out doing hunt after hunt, for not wanting to even try and "deal" with everything:

how many people I save, it'll never be enough. ...I'm living on borrowed time, Sammy.

kind of redemption."

and Sam's final answer:

"For ten years, you did unspeakable things to an uncountable number of souls.

And little by little, with every cut of the knife, you cut away a part of your

humanity. ...He picked you. Despite everything you did, God picked you to be

rescued from hell. Because He has a plan for you. ...the first step to the

redemption you're looking for might be there, right in front of you?"

also got to me the most. But I also liked Sam's first reaction a lot:

The hand which had been holding Dean back by the shoulder dropped limply to

Sam's side. Of all the things he had expected to hear once he finally got his

brother to talk, this hadn't been it.

and the idea with the metaphors... the still bubbling anger in Sam:

"Get your head out of your ass then!" Sam yelled, arms spread wide at his sides

and taking a step towards Dean, deliberately crossing into his brother's personal

space. "Is that a clear enough phrase for you? Because if you hadn't stuck it up

there so far that you can no longer see or hear anything, you'd stop this quest

for redemption you're on before it's too late and you lose yourself in it!"

I loved all of this, too. It just makes this entire scene so believable. I swear you made me hear them arguing in my head and it felt as if I was watching another scene on-screen, admittedly a very, very good one. I would love to really see something like this in an epsidoe... maybe the guys should start looking for a few new writers over here...

Please keep writing these beautiful stories, I sure keep reading them!

Take care, D.
Bundibird chapter 1 . 7/6/2009
this was fantastic. really, really good fic. you had sam draw the info out of dean exactly how he would have if this had happened in the show. and the "we're the opposite of ok, but we're together. and that's a start" quote was a perfect way to end the story.

Fantastic job. well done. :)

Bundi
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 2/24/2009
OMG! this was awesome!

i loved the tension! and yaya! fight haha

really great analysed fic! i loved the convo they had

bloody incredable fic hun

i loved it!

Benigma chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
Omg, this is FAWESOME! And it's so desperately needed! How can Dean think it's okay to throw these bombshells at Sam and then shut him out? Gr! I'd wanna punch him, too, as much as I admire his misguided stoicism.

"Dude, back off! What is wrong with you?"

What the *!*? Sorry, Dean, but that was the perfect time for Sam to cash in his raincheck! I'm so glad Sam didn't back down. He laid out all the cards, and spelling out that Dean was hand-picked by God was the ace!

I'd LOVE to see this in an episode! If Kripke et al wanted to see some of the finest ideas from the people who eat, sleep and breathe this show, they should check out the amazing authors on this site.

Take as long as you need in Texas, guys!

Brilliant stuff, WELL DONE!
Twinchy chapter 1 . 1/22/2009
This was a most gorgeous tag to "Family Remains". Very tense and beautifully written, not to mention really well thought-out.

I liked your characteriaztions of the brothers in this emotional and walking-the-line situation to no end. You never got over the top for either one of them and sounded truly convincing at all times. Their actions and reactions were very balanced even if Sam and Dean themselves seemed rather coiled and at each other's throat any moment. Neither crossed that line entirely and in the end they found new ground to deal with everything together.

Your view through Sammy's eyes was spot-on. I believe you're absolutely right about his being fed up with Dean's avoiding anything resembling getting to terms with what happened. the older Winchester is clearly on self-destruction-mode due to his self-loathing at the moment and his younger brother has to see an end to that soon or it'll blow up in both their faces at any inopportune time.

Also, what you had Sam tell Dean about 'enjoying torturing others' held wisdome and truth. There's no real fault in feeling relief (or joy) that it's not oneself getting torn to shreds for a change - especially after suffering terribly for thirty years already. No one's going to accuse Dean of anything for putting himself before others at long last (which surely proves to be his worst torture) apart from himself. After all, he's the only one who doesn't so much as forgive himself.

And his desperate attempt to save people, his nightmares, everything about his recent behaviour belies his self-portray of being a monster which enjoys hurting others; shows in no uncertain terms that he still has his (bad) conscience intact - even more so than what's good for him.

In that regard, the threat of punching Dean's lights out if they had yet another roadside conversation, was sweet. There never was a doubt in the world that this was merely Sam's deep concern for his older brother speaking, not malice or anger. I'm certain Dean realized that too.

Plus, the holiday idea was a great one of yours. They truly need to get a few days off after non-stop hunting for the last month. It's wearing them to the ground, particularly with the additional emotional baggage.

Awesome and excellent one-shot!
sunnyjunedays chapter 1 . 1/21/2009
Hi, This is perfect. So much has been written about Dean's confession at the end of 'Family Remains.' So many differing views and speculation have been aired that it was good to read this, a great way for both boys to move forward. x
Miyo86 chapter 1 . 1/21/2009
Wow. This was amazing, really. You dealt with Dean's situation really well and realisticly, and Sam taking his raincheck was an excellent way to start. He needs to step back, take a break, and maybe finally come to terms with what he did and that maybe God really does forgive him. Loved this alot!
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
THIS WAS WONDERFUL! And MEGA AWESOME! I've talked about this very angle with friends, talked about it in my blogs and you expressed it beautifully here. I was totally moved at Sam's determination to convince Dean that he isn't evil because he cares so much about saving people and the revelation that Dean's afraid that because of what's he's already done in Hell, he's destined to go back here when he dies again. I SO LOVE his point. This would scare any average person, but for Dean, I can imagine that it's so much worse, knowing first hand what Hell is like and knowing what he did there qualifies as Hell-bent offenses. This was great and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Fav. Parts:

A dangerous flash of anger in his brother's eyes was all the warning Sam got, then Dean was suddenly at him, grabbing the lapels of Sam's jacket with both fists and pushing him back against the car. And Sam instinctively knew that the only reason why the blows weren't raining at him with deadly precision was that he was Sam, and that even in anger, Dean found it almost impossibly hard to cross that barrier to physical violence towards his little brother.

Against everybody else, Dean would have fought tooth and claw, and every other opponent would have come out of this bruised, bleeding and no longer standing under their own power. But in the end it was almost ridiculously easy to maneuver Dean out in front of the car, because Dean wasn't fighting back in earnest.

- SIGH! I LOVED this. Even with the rationalization about Dean never hurting Sam, it still shows a self-control that an evil person wouldn't possess or that an evil person wouldn't have held back even it was his brother.

"I know you better than anybody else, Dean. I know the brother who took care of me for my whole life, and I simply know that you are many things, but you're not a bad person. You're not evil, dark or brutal. You're anything but."

- SOB! SO LOVED THIS!

Dean shook his head, but his voice when he spoke was soft and sounded defeated. "You don't know anything, Sammy. The brother you think you know, I'm not so sure it's the same guy Castiel pulled from the pit."

"Well, then it's good that I know."

-Sigh! Good counter on Sam's part.

"Oh, I know what it's doing to you. I know that it's tearing you apart from the inside, Dean. I know that it's causing you so much pain that you can't sleep at night without waking up screaming from the dreams about it. I know that it makes you want to save as many people as possible to make up for it. And you know what? That's what tells me you're a good person. Exactly because what you did is eating you up. Because you still have a conscience, because you want to make up for what you've done! You went through thirty years of torture, Dean. It's human nature to break under torture, and it doesn't take thirty years to break most people. It's human nature to do anything to survive. And as much as I hate to tell you, you're only human. You forgive everybody else their human shortcomings so easily, but for yourself you seem to have superhuman expectations. It's going to break you, Dean. And I won't stand by and let that happen. I've done for far too long already."

-*is APPLAUDING and cheering Sam's words!

"Talk to me, Dean. Everything that happened to you, it happened because of me. You went to hell because of me. I can't…I don't know if I can do anything to help you. But damn it, why don't you even give me a chance? Why don't you let me try? It's my fault that all this happened in the first place…"

"It's not your fault!"

Green eyes flashed with newfound determination and Dean roughly clenched his fist in Sam's jacket again, shaking him for emphasis. "It wasn't your fault, Sammy."

- SO wonderfully noble and typical of Dean to shift blame away from Sam!

"Because Sam, no matter what I do to deal with this, no matter how many hunts I go on, how many people I save, it'll never be enough. It'll never make up for what I did. And one day it's going to be over, Sammy. One day I'll die, again. And after what I've done…I'll go to hell, again. And it won't take another thirty years to break me this time. And there won't be another get out of hell free-card. The next time I go down south, I'm there for good. I'll be frying in hell until it has sucked the last bit of humanity out of me and turned me into a demon, or something even worse. I'm living on borrowed time, Sammy. All I can do is try to make up for what I've done, even though I can't. I can never do enough. I can only try, and hope and pray to a God who won't listen that there is some kind of redemption."

-*GULP! Oh, SO understandable!

"For ten years, you did unspeakable things to an uncountable number of souls. And little by little, with every cut of the knife, you cut away a part of your humanity. For ten whole years. And yet, after ten years of all that, God sends an angel down to hell. And of all the souls down there, He picked you. Despite everything you did, God picked you to be rescued from hell. Because He has a plan for you. You got handpicked by the man above, you get visited by an angel on a regular basis, you are supposed to help stop the apocalypse, and still don't see that the first step to the redemption you're looking for might be there, right in front of you?"

- You make Sam SO AWESOME here! You had me saying "You tell him, Sam!"

Fantastic!
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
Very very good.

I would love to see Sam punch Dean (and I'm a Deangirl!). Just for shock value, if nothing else.

Let's hope we get a little, enough is enough conversation.

Thanks
Phyllis L. Loafman chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
Very nicely written. I could only hope that Eric would write it the same way. Good for Sam. The reactions were almost dead on perfect in my opinion.
QuierdoMusic chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
GREAT

This fear is really possible and you wrote totally in-character.

Thanks
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
That was good.

I like all the thought you put into it. You made some really good points.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Fille de Tsuki chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
Nice tag! First one I've read for this episode, and, yeah, I wish it had happened. I mean, geez Dean, if the LORD sends a freaking angel to pull you out of Hell and do His work, ya think maybe you DON'T BELONG THERE? *slappityslap* Durr.

And I may not have my master's in psych yet, but I can safely say that everyone has a breaking point, and for most it's considerably sooner than thirty years down the line. And anyone hurt that bad is going to want to end their helplessness and take power back, any way they can. Sorry, that's just how humans work.

Sorry I vented all over the review. But it really is a good story you've got here. Thanks!
pickamix chapter 1 . 1/19/2009
I hated the way 'Family Remains' ended... I cannot accept that Dean would have enjoyed torturing souls in Hell so quickly... if he had been down there longer, sure I would've bought it but anyway about your fic...

Well written... the boys were very much in character... one thing though and I'm sorry if this sounds nit picky but Hell when you are talking about the place should start with a capital H. All in all you did a good job.