Reviews for Chuck v The Burning Man
AChieftess chapter 25 . 2/5/2023
This has been a very, very entertaining story! I hope you get a chance to finish it someday.
Thanks :)
jayesh.dms chapter 25 . 3/18/2021
I know it has been almost 12 years since you updated, but just so you know ppl r still reading this.
So if you are alive and well (which I hope you are), then think about finishing this.
baldcoder chapter 25 . 11/3/2016
Really good story, but alas it twas not completed.
dreamer913 chapter 25 . 4/2/2011
this is such an amazing story, and i had hoped that you would continue it, but i guess since it's been over a year, i guess not :(
wendy chapter 25 . 3/26/2010
I just reread this story again and I love it. I hope you finish it. Keep up the great storytelling.
holst chapter 25 . 1/24/2010
I want more!

Olease tell me your going to finish it?
BlueEyedBrigadier chapter 25 . 12/31/2009
Someone's probably answered this long ago (since this chapter was posted in late September, but I think you're looking for Bubo from the Harry Hamelin-starring "Clash of the Titans" ;D

Right...on to the chapter itself! Definitely was all kinds of thrilled with the top quality humour found within this chapter, especially at the end with Chuck and Casey just going to town with trying to embarrass the Hell out of the other in front of General Beckman...though I am mighty curious as to know why Happy Heights is such a big thing for Fulcrum. Probably explained in one of the episodes I missed during S2's run :(
BlueEyedBrigadier chapter 24 . 12/31/2009
Golden Girls, fan are ya? Well...guess your tastes and mine can't ALWAYS be in synchronicity with one another, can they?

;)D

Still...an awesome entry into the series, truthseekr! Definitely loved the idea of Casey getting Shanghai'd by Rose and her massive collection of homespun tales about growing up in rural..Minnesota, wasn't it?
BlueEyedBrigadier chapter 23 . 12/24/2009
Well now...while not meant as one, this chapter's certainly a lovely Xmas present, I must say! Between the Casey-Bartowski brand of male bickering and the faux rendezvous between the Intersect and his female handler...I was definitely grooving to this chapter's sound, truthseekr!

;D

Sorry it took so long to review this, but have had a string of computer issues over the last few months, so I am finally getting caught up in my leisure reading..
slEDgeIre chapter 25 . 11/11/2009
Well Truthseekr,

This story is utterly fantastic. I will have to admit to starting to read it a few months back but the first chapter put me off. But I gave it another shot and boy was I glad I did. Excellent work, hillarious, and one of the best. Keep it up.
Lispill chapter 25 . 11/2/2009
Hey there! Long time no see! I have been away from ff, but I got back to read your story, cuz u know I love it!

Great chapter as usual! Loved how you manage to link the 49B storyline into yours, amazing work!

Update soon!
mxpw chapter 5 . 10/29/2009
Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall! Bwahaha. There is something so fundamentally perfect about Casey relating to the Gipper and the man's crusade against the "utilitarian socialistic propaganda" for his mission to become Chuck's FRIEND. Hahaha. Oh my, I think you may have outdone yourself this time.

Refs were more subtle this time and harder to spot, but I really loved the Bridge Over the River Kwai mention (Great movie, with Obi-wan Kenobi no less).

Oh come on, you're not even trying anymore to hide who the mysterious desert dweller is. Heh. I really liked the line from the voice he heard in his head. It was very touching.

Chuck is such a terrible liar. Which I guess is a good thing? But still, it's always simultaneously cringeworthy and amusing to watch him lie, especially when he's lying to his sister. Ellie's typical big sister approach to the Charah relationship was nicely handled. I loved her subtle hints to Chuck about the gardenias. Symbolism for the win! Whoosh! Right over Chuck's head.

Only on Chuck would a man like Jeff, being reunited with his beloved pet Roscoe, inspire Sarah to call somebody she cared about. And the conversation between Chuck and Sarah was just really difficult to watch. I never like it when those two are on the "outs". They're not even completely on the outs here, but it's still difficult to see. But you capture their awkwardness and confusion and hesitance so well. Maybe Chuck should've talked to Casey about tips on how to break through walls. So happy Sarah is done with Jeff though and is on her way back to L.A. to defend her territory.

The scrabble plot! And so the main plotline of this story makes its first appearance (well, as far as I know, main plotline). First, let me commend you on your choice of scrabble as the driving force behind this story. Second, Nerd. Third, loved the bit with the dogs. Casey's concern for Chuck was nice, you could feel the guilt there. Very subtle and very nicely handled.

Chuck is a sap and a romantic, so I liked the end, even if it did include Coldplay. Plus, you had Casey being human too, so major points for that.

Great chapter, ZK#2.
mxpw chapter 4 . 10/29/2009
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm only going to be able to review one chapter tonight. At this rate, it's going to take me forever. Fortunately, your story is worth the effort. So anyway, enough about me, time for the review!

It's cheating when you actually make a list of all the pop refs in the chapter. But damn you got a lot of them into that interrogation scene. Everything from V (awesome miniseries, can't wait to see the remake) to Close Encounters and Men In Black. Heh, the Matrix refs are pretty amusing when looked at in hindsight. You really are prophetic! Okay, important question, are you a Mulder or a Scully?

Blarg! Emmett Millbarge. I know you're a big fan of the Buy Morons, and so am I, but why did you have to include the Ass Man? I do have to say, though, that you captured his pompous and overinflated sense of importance perfectly (six years at a community college, ha!). And it was definitely a nice touch to show him getting suspicious of Chuck. The way he was walking around with his recorder, dictating notes, such a great characterization.

Hahaha! OMG, just picturing Jeff DUIing Tara Reid is maybe the funniest thing I could ever imagine. If your brain wasn't so clearly awesome, I'd worry about you a little bit. And the detail, actually going into which kind of plane and skiff Sarah used to get to the Nicaraguan island is just amazing. I think the prose in that transition section and the prose where Sarah is contemplating trust is my favorite part of the chapter. It's just so well written and such excellent insight into Sarah's head, something so rarely shown on the show.

Jeff's diatribe was just sublime. He's a suprisingly coherent rambler, if not overly paranoid and delusional, when he's relatively sober. Plus the setup of Sarah actually being "in the know" and using nerd knowledge to tease a fellow agent? So cute and also just goes to show how compromised she's become.

Casey better watch out. We all know what Sarah does to people who get in between her and Chuck. Casey should just ask Lt. Mauser. Oh wait...

Another great, funny chapter, Truthie.
mxpw chapter 3 . 10/28/2009
Ugh, Truthie, why did you do this to me? This chapter is so long I'm going to have to really break this review down.

Mandom? Seriously? Where do you come up with this stuff? You amaze me, I swear. If I find you somehow included a Colt 45 reference into this fic somewhere, I don't know what I'll do, but it will probably be stupid and over the top. Maybe start a Truthie fan club or something, I don't know.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...what you do with Jeff in this chapter is nothing short of slapstick comedy genius. Usually comedy is hard (though not for you) and slapstick even harder, but you pull it off so beautifully here. The tumbling down the rabbit hole, electrocuting himself with the lie detector chair, running head first into the dry erase board (such a vivid image, I could see it happening) and almost inadvertently starting WWI, then the coup de grace of passing out due to the stress he felt over the potential loss of his little buddy Roscoe. At least we know Jeff has one good quality: loyalty to his pets. Too bad he's going to a secret CIA Nicaraguan facility for interrogation. I'm not sure waterboarding would work on Jeff.

Speaking of Roscoe, your anthropomorphism of him is very impressive. As I'm reading, I'm not really thinking of Roscoe as a ferret, but more as a fully realized character. The way he's scurrying around the Buy More, looking for treats (Heh, Roscoe pouted when Chuck didn't give him a treat), looking for Jeff, urinating all over the store (in some ways he's probably more hygenic than Jeff too!), and the best part ever, Roscoe doing the Ferret War Dance! Maybe the coolest thing in this chapter. Heh.

OMG, how could I forget Big Mike? Lester asked a very good question, how does he do it? But major kudos for the el Jefe for somehow getting a reporter to do some bonus coverage for some afternoon delight. Well, done, Truthie.

Okay, so now we move to this "mysterious" man out in the desert (as if we don't already know...). I thought the use of War Games here was frankly kind of brilliant. Not only is it a great movie (and much like Tron, a movie that has a lot of influence on the show) but the way you used it as a method of bonding between the Burning Man and his "son" was awesome. I love the idea of this guy hacking into NORAD just because he can, just like David in the movie. Also, there's an interesting parallel here between the Burning Man (a technical and computer genius living in isolation) and Falken (also a computer genius living in isolation), both lamenting the losses of their sons.

Hmm...now for Chuck/Sarah. This is actually where I have a bit of criticism. I know it's largely irrelevant at this point, but what the hell, I'm going to say it anyway. I was not crazy about the telegraphing between Agent Walker and Sarah. I think you are more than capable of clueing the reader in when it's the Agent talking and when it's the woman talking through subtle dialogue tags or through the dialogue itself. However, I will say that I did like how you made a distinction when introducing Sarah in a new scene that she was still in Agent mode. That was nice. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky here. Oh, and I also wasn't sure about Sarah's...abruptness, but I think I will just chalk that up to a different interpretation in character. Besides, it's not like you don't know what you're doing, because clearly, you do.

And finally the Sugar Bear. Heh. I liked him being at a loss as to what he could do to drive a wedge between Chuck and Sarah. I liked his reluctance to betray a partner or coerce Chuck. Aw, poor Casey, he doesn't want to become CIA. Never change, dude.

Okay, well, that's it. I guess it's not as long as I thought. Man, I need to lay off the hyperbole something fierce. Maybe for my reviews in the future, I'll just go through each chapter and list all the pop culture references I find. The list will probably be this long anyway.

Loved the chapter, Zombie Killer #2.
mxpw chapter 2 . 10/28/2009
I think you're like Anon and are some weird pop culture/trivia database. Seriously, you referenced Beastmaster (great film, not so great TV series). Sheesh. I feel like I need to have a window open to Google at all times so at any point I suspect you're dropping some info, I can scurry off to check just what little tidbit you're pulling from the recesses of your mind now.

One thing that I do remember from this story is how you write the Buy Morons. You do it better than anybody else, by far. And your Jeff is spot on and hilarious. Heh. Van Buren Ale. Nice touch. And having Jeff fall into Castle because Roscoe tripped open the trap door has a kind of...inevitability about it. Of course I could have done without Jeff's musings on Anna, but I guess he wouldn't be Jeff if he wasn't being inappropriate.

I don't care what anybody says, you write Charah like nobody's business. Your Charah scenes might not always be romantic, but they are still, for lack of a better word, intimate. The scene here between them is a perfect example of this. They are so comfortable around each other they function without having to communicate verbally (which is ironic considering how often they miscommunicate). They're friends, and it really shines through. I really do love this scene, and I wish I could find the words to tell you how much. Hell, it was probably better than anything we got between them for the rest of the second season (except for Best Friend and Colonel).

And so the journey continues...