Reviews for Stepping Stones
TheEdifier chapter 43 . 3/7
Delightful story, I had a blast reading it. Really enjoyed the ending, Sai's thoughts were a bit bittersweet, but the future you're showing is so wonderful and gives such a great sense of completion with the knowledge that they'll only progress further and do better and enjoy their life and Go (if that makes sense).

Appreciated the creativity of the premise, it was really interesting to see how that changed the different interactions. Your characterization was a lot of fun, very believable for all the characters and so perfect for Hikaru (loved his mom too).

Thanks for all the work you put into this! It was definitely worthwhile to use my evening to bing-read the entire story; I'm glad I found it :)
kalmaegi chapter 43 . 1/25
Wow. I remembered reading this all those years ago and boy am I glad it got completed. I was a bit stumped since I couldn't remember the title but thank God for communities since I stumbled upon this again. I like how Hikaru influenced other kids to be interested in Go and integrated Insei to be their rivals. Sai's students...and to see him so happy and not lonely, actually looking forward to supervise the next generation. Just, everything.

I actually like Akira and Hikaru's relationship here since they do other things that normal kids do instead of just Go.
Osprey Eamon chapter 43 . 1/21
Interesting concept, I enjoyed the story.
Elise chapter 43 . 12/12/2016
This story is extraordinary and wonderful. Thank you very much for writing it. :)
Xejis chapter 43 . 12/3/2016
This was amazing. I just spent the day reading this instead of working on my final essays/projects, but it was totally worth it. I love how you managed to recreate the spirit of the original story and characters despite the differences in plot. I also love the interactions between characters and how you represented the culture and language barrier. That was really clever, I think a lot of people gloss over that when writing about people moving to different places, but you stuck with it the entire story and it was really neat to see Hikaru learning Japanese as he progressed with Go. It gave the story, even more, depth.

Anywho, I'm going to stalk your profile now for any other stories I might like.
KK chapter 43 . 10/27/2016
This is saved among my favorite Hikaru No Go...no favorite fan fics period. This is a brilliant story that outlines so much. Instead of taking the HNG world and adding too much you took it and just tilted it a little to the side and let the characters try to sort out the new gravity. That's one of the best ways I can visualize this story because these ARE the characters. That is Akira, and Waya and Hikaru and everyone just with a slightly different situation and that's one of the highest praises I think I can give a writer of fanfiction.
Everything about this story is perfection. The writing entrances you and demands your attention (I kinda just read half your fic in a couple of hours cause I couldn't put it down). Your writing brought the characters to life in every scene. It was beautiful to read.
And the choices you made that make this fanfiction specifically Sai's history and situation, Touya Meijin's position in the story and of course Hikaru's origins and abilities...are all completely brilliant. Having Sai haunt the goban instead of Hikaru himself brings another level of interest to the character and creates an interesting dynamic to the character and his position in the story. Unlike in cannon where this is definitely Hikaru and Sai's story this is more centered on just Hikaru and your choice to limit Sai's movements brings Hikaru out more as the central figure. His history with Heihachi also gives a depth and legacy to both their characters.
Another character that has more depth in your story than normally seen in fanfiction is Touya Meijin. I don't think I can think of another story (the notable exception being the one where Hikaru is Touya Hikaru and the Meijin is his father) in which they have such a close relationship. It's a sweet sort of mentor-disciple relationship that I think should be explored more (and if you ever get board a series of short stories about their travels and games they see together would be perfect :D). Much like the dynamic between Hikaru and Akira (which is also amazingly handled in this story!) they are two people who you would never pair together but somehow seem to fit.
And finally the big one: Hikaru's changed circumstances. This... is perfection. It is everything I would ask it to be. The behavior of a teenager suddenly stranded in a foreign land where even his words betray him. It's culture shock to the extreme and one of the best learning curves I've ever seen in youth literature (yeah I just compared your fanfic to actual sold in book stores youth novels- deal with it). In fact I've already passed it on to a friend of mine who's studying in Uni to be a Japanese interpreter.
It's just...how many ways can I say that this is one of the most comprehensively good stories I've read on the site? I guess I'll just have to settle for telling you that it's a personal favorite.
lacomtessa chapter 9 . 10/18/2016
I just thought of something that made me laugh like a loon. This story could be called Ghost in the Shed. It would be awesome.
Shiro Inutoko chapter 43 . 10/8/2016
This was wonderful! I love how you reversed things from the ending of the manga, with Hikaru living on through Sai, rather than Sai through Hikaru! Sai's fading always made me cry, even though I know it was a happy, fulfilling thing for him. The only complaint I have is that I want to keep reading, but I know you had to end it somewhere.
Raj8 chapter 43 . 9/21/2016
Thank you so much for writing and posting this, I just read the whole thing in one go. I know nothing about Hikaru No Go the series but a friend recommended this story so I gave it a chance.

I'm really happy I did, it was an amazing story and I really enjoyed how you wrote Hikaru who felt like a child and at the same time was someone I could respect.

I especially liked how you contrasted the old culture with the new throughout the story.

This isn't the type of story I usually read, no wars were stopped, the world was never in danger and their wasn't even any action anywhere in the story, but that never mattered because I was engrossed fully in the story and life of Hikaru.
PuppetMaster55 chapter 43 . 9/19/2016
This was a terrific read!
Jikol chapter 22 . 8/11/2016
in the middle and I'm so happy for sai and hikaru
Jikol chapter 7 . 8/11/2016
I'm still in the beginning but I wish sai was in thr story more
kitanalao chapter 5 . 7/16/2016