Reviews for Expiation and amity
Spitfire303 chapter 1 . 2/3
tromana chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
This was written so long ago, and yet, I've only just came across it thanks to a nomination in the Paint It Red awards. What amazes me especially is just how well this still works and how easily it still fits after over 100 more episodes.
Sectumsempress chapter 1 . 2/25/2010
This story is great. I think you really summed up what was going on in Jane's head. Good Job!
castiello chapter 1 . 8/18/2009
Nice job on this story! You’re a very talented writer. I liked this little trip into Jane’s head, which, as others have mentioned, has held up very well as the series has progressed. I enjoyed the focus on Patrick’s friendship with his CBI team members, and the exploration of his reasons for continuing to live. The case was also a good idea: an apparently traumatized husband who turned out to have killed his family – Jane has every reason to be rattled by something like that.

Some of my favorite lines/passages:

-“Other sins, though, were more egregious. Beyond forgiveness, certainly beyond the possibility of forgetfulness. Sometimes, almost beyond the pretence of survival.”

-“The team hadn’t taken the threat well, which was why the husband was currently in the hospital under guard, and Patrick was back at the office, settled on the sofa and considering his colleagues.”

-“To his surprise, he’d found himself liking them all. He’d not expected to feel the lure of friendship or even simple companionship again, believing all those finer feelings had died at Red John’s hands.”

-“One who would be satisfied with his share of happiness, in his own peaceful, small world. And in spite of this, a man driven to defending justice as the best way to give everyone else a chance at happiness as well.”

-“Patrick didn’t particularly fear death, but for their sakes, he wouldn’t actively seek it out. If death came for him, though, he had no plans to fight it over much. But the option of ending things himself meant that one of these people, people he’d come to see as friends, would be the one to find him. They’d grieve over the signs they’d missed, and blame themselves for something they’d had no part in, and no control over. And that was unacceptable to him. So he’d chosen to live in their company, content to experience the true warmth of their growing friendship towards him.”

-“Maybe in time, he’d even be able to see himself more as they saw him. Perhaps he could even learn again, from them, how not to hate himself.”

-“For once, as he drifted towards sleep, he felt no fear of his nightmares. His friends would keep him safe.”

A sweet, well-written story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
PhoenixWytch chapter 1 . 7/4/2009
Interesting insight.

Thanks for writing.
lgmtreader chapter 1 . 5/3/2009
Given that you wrote this after only two episodes, it really has held up well :-) Not perfectly, but very close. I really liked this one. Especially how the one case really affected him as it unfolded. Hope to read more from you.
House Calls chapter 1 . 2/6/2009
What a good story! And spot-on, IMO, considering the series wasn't that far along when you wrote it.
Treya Elyenta chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
Excellent job, you did great portraying the emotions. I think you caught all of their personalities pretty well.

However... he still is arrogant, and still likes to show off. Just so you know :)

stars-dawning chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
well-written and very touching :)
Broedy chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
Really interesting insight into Jane's character and the team dynamic. If this is what you write after only two episodes then I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Great job!
abelard chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
Such a lovely story. I gravitate towards Lisbon/Jane stories, but this more general story, about Jane's relationship the team as a whole, was so well-written and filled with such a spirit of sadness, calm, and hope all at the same time, that it just drew me in completely and I really felt for Jane. Loved it!
Sophie Fatale chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
amazing job with the anguish and suffering!
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
Very good story. I love this show. You wrote a very insightful piece.