Reviews for The Touch
Brievel chapter 1 . 3/19/2015
There are so many reasons I hate him. -_-
chiroho chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
Having children of my own, I know just how trusting a child can be, and in many ways it is totally overwhelming. So seeing your picture of a very young Mara coming to meet the Emperor really demonstrates that amazing sense of trust, but also of resilience, that a child has - particularly when she fights the urge to run away.

We don't have any real understanding of how Mara was when she came into the Emperor's service, just that she has no memory of her family. But this really shows how a meeting between them could have taken place.

And Palpatine comes across as to very creepy. You really have to wonder just what sort of vices someone as evil has, but at least he just seems to be reaching out to Mara here.

Great little vignette, and very well written.
Lora Kael chapter 1 . 2/17/2009
Creepy... The Emperor can really be creepy, and you made him very creepy indeed.

Poor Mara; so young and trusty and her life is gonna be twisted by the Emperor.

I can't say 'nice' vignette since creepy is much more appropriate. ;)

Hugs Lora
What-Ansketil-Did-Next chapter 1 . 2/4/2009
This is the best Mara Jade explanation I've ever read. Really wonderful - especially in Palpatine's enjoyment of childish trust... it's Anakin Skywalker all over again. LOVED IT!
blank101 chapter 1 . 1/30/2009
Wow, this is great. Ethereal and spooky

It kind of had an unsettling distance to it all which I always love in writing - a sense of someone on the outside looking in, with tiny details scattered here and there to make it subtly unsettling.

Bravo!
frodogenic chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
This was really good. I particularly enjoyed that you showed such a slight crack in the Emperor-that even he's not completely immune to human sensations. I like to think that there was something to his relationships beyond sheer objective manipulation-which is not to say that they're in any way healthy or good, but nothing can be really, viciously wrong unless there's something genuinely good at the root. I think you portrayed that very well. It's so easy to just caricature Palpatine but you gave him dimension here, and Mara too, and it makes such a refreshing change. There's not many writers who capture him so well; I'd like to be one of them but I think I have a way to go. :)

Anyway, lovely vignette and definitely one for the favorites list!
H666 chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
Wonderfully written! An unusual insight into the moment Mara's future was decided upon. You capture the essence of such a young one: the innocence, blind faith and trust they have at a young age before life changes them. Palpatine taking advantage as always of these situations. Well done!