Reviews for WHAT NOT TO WRITE
oleanderhoney chapter 5 . 12/2/2013
This. Pretty much made my life. Thank you for taking the time for writing this. As a person who generally weeps for the general lack of eloquence I come across, this is lovely. And, yes, it is just fanfiction, and yes I am not a perfect writer by far, but if you are going to dedicate this much time and effort to something you clearly adore, you might as well do it right, right? Or at least attempt to do it well. Any way. Yes. Just had to comment on this because tis marvellous.
SeaChild chapter 4 . 12/17/2012
Every witch/wizard who marries or is with a witch/wizard is basically incest.
Guest chapter 5 . 10/4/2012
Hi I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to writing anything, really. But I like to think I know about reading, and I agree to much you've said, but not everything though. That would be strange. But I agree to all of your writing tips, and once I start my own stories I will take your advice to heart, so thanks for getting out what most people think.
Queen of Everyday chapter 3 . 7/23/2012
Okay, I know that you haven't updated in awhile and I have no idea whether or not you still write fanfiction but I have something to at least say. This will probably be the longest review I've ever typed.
First thing: One thing I didn't notice you had in the not collum was basing characters on yourself. People are constantly basing characters on themselves and, as much as that can be great, if you were writing about yourselves, then it woudn't be FANfiction. About books. Not you. Sorry if that was harsh to anyone who reads this.
Second thing: I totally got what you said about spelling errors and text message spelling but you didn't specify how annoying no periods, paragraphs and extra or no commas are. They are SO annoying. People just don't get that.
Third thing: Adding in the summary or the top or bottom of your story that you know your story wasn't good is STUPID. If you knew your story wasn't good, then why the hell did you post it? Honestly, get a confidence boost. I know you didn't do that but you should have talked about it more.
Fourth thing: You said, for Harry Potter fics, that writing about time travel or reading the books series are stupid and I don't agree. I happen to be writing one of each currently but don't worry. I'm not going to go on and on about how offended I am. I'm not. You have the rite to your own opinion. That's fine. But I like to read and write about them. I've probably read over a hundred of them and I'm still not tired of them. So, there is a simple solution to you and whoever else is tired of them: just don't read them! Oh yeah, it's THAT simple. Honestly. As for next gen fics, I don't read or write them but fanfic is a place for IMAGINATION. If people want to speculate, let them.
I'm sorry if I offended you at all, but you did say that you like constructive critisism.
_HGRH_
Crimson Firelight chapter 5 . 4/12/2012
I am so glad someone said it! There have been a number of times when I just quit reading a story because the spelling, grammar, or punctuation was horrible. I am really guilty about the 'out of character' issue. I have found that even though this is a rant, there is a lot of great tips to be found in these chapters.
JosElynne chapter 5 . 2/2/2012
You know what? You just changed my preference when it comes to writing and reading fics. I used to adore Hermione going back in time. Then I read this and it was like: "Oh, right" moment for me. I totally agree about that "Good chapter!" only review. That's one of the reasons why I abandoned some of the stories I posted. I deleted those already and I was left with two. I got lazy continuing or re-writing them because of the two words reviews.

What about those Mary-Sue stories? Or those stories that inserts the author's whole personality and persona into the fics? Those I really hate.
EllyB19 chapter 5 . 1/25/2012
OMFG.

This is so true! Thanks for the post. I mean, every beginner FF writer should read this.

I personally believe that you should write a little bitty like: "Fan Fiction Lingo: What It Means and When To Use It" I swear, it would be Soooo helpful. (:

Thanks for your amazing snarky comments and sarcasm! FF needs a dose of it once in a while! 3

Love and Rockets,

Ellie. :3
XAriciaX chapter 5 . 12/30/2011
I find your advices so useful, especially the ones in the last chapter because they can help for any kinds of stories and not just HP/Twilight stories. I think I'll use the idea where you say to write the plot first so I can avoid writer's block and actually write the whole story after so I can update regularly.

I also have some trouble to find synonyms for the word "say" even if I'm careful to not use it all the time. I think the synonyms you wrote down will help me a bit.

I admit that I sometimes write short reviews because I'm in a rush (example: reading fics just before an appointment) or because I'm not inspired and don't know what to write. I try to write something longer on the next update, thought.

Last but not least, I need advice. What do you do to get someone in character when you think he or she is too hard to write about it? Sometimes, I have trouble to write about a character, especially in Twilight.

Finally, what do you do to find inpiration when you need to add a little bit of humor in the story so you can spice it up?

PS: I also hate it when authors hold their story hostage so they have reviews. It's worst than authors not finishing their stories because they lack inspiration. It's nice to get some but we write mostly for ourselves, because it's a pleasure.

PS 2: I think that's the longest review I ever wrote. I must be in a writing mood today.
Haljaruna chapter 5 . 12/17/2011
You know, this fic is actually like a review. A really long, elaborate, public review.

I do think, that many prospective writers should recive something like this in between their customary "Hez twas gret, updat sooooon" feedback once in a while.

Because constructive criticism is what propells forward everything in life really. Its hard to see the mistakes sometimes in your own work, so its nice to have another person to look through your work, and point out what you should improve on.

And grammar seems to be the largest problem, just like you mentioned. I am not a native english speaker, so its doubly irritating if I can spot a spelling mistake in a work, thats supposed to be written by someone, who have been using this language their whole life. And I am definately running and never looking back, when that work is so littered with illspelled words, that I am struggling to understand what the writer wanted to convey.

So thank you for the higly amusing ramblings. You were speaking from the bottom of my heart.
lilliangreene chapter 5 . 9/10/2011
Okay, now that I have read chapters 2-5 finally, I think that this is helping me personally with my fanfictions, because now I have a guide that tells me how I can make my stories the best they can be. Thank You!
Chapter 3 chapter 3 . 9/7/2011
I'm sorry but I couldn't stop laughing when JaspersDaughter wrote that it was wrong for you to complain about out other people's fan fiction and recommended that if you had a problem you should not read it. Let me be the first or second or third to ask the obvious question...was that not exactly what she was doing. I know you must have recognized this. For reposting it I thank you for you made my evening. Take care.
Vio Kirkland chapter 5 . 9/2/2011
I'm just too lazy to sign in. Sorry.

Well. I LOVE this guide. I cannot express the amount of love I have for this guide. He review thing is entirely true as well. It's like, "Oh. You liked my story. Why dint you review then?" The most annoying thing on his site to me (Not including horrible grammar and things we won't even go into.) getting twenty story alerts and favorites and no reviews. It's that 'WHY?' feeling hat gets to me.

On a side note, I love this guide. And I don't even like Twilight. In fact, I hate Twilight. Because of Bella. The only thing I like about the series is Jacob fursploding. Or whatever he does.

You've made me like something that has ties to Twilight. BE PROUD.

-Vio Kirkland
Vio Kirkland chapter 5 . 9/2/2011
I'm just too lazy to sign in. Sorry.

You've made me like something that has ties to Twilight. BE PROUD.

-Vio Kirkland
Leggo 16 chapter 5 . 8/4/2011
sorry for the omega stuff if I pissed you off. If not update why dont you. Oh yeah greyback harry could happen e.g. harry caught by snatchers and they have... fun I guess. greyback along with them scary but Ive read stories where dursleys rape harry. Also I dont see a romance between harry and Voldie but more a mentore/teacher student bond. Update purty please damn straight I went country on your bitchy ass.$ peace
Leggo 16 chapter 5 . 8/4/2011
Do you read all these reviews? It's like people are writing books for reviews! Shit man! anyway continue or I might have to scratch my back... with a fervor of rabbits mating. YEAH that was dumb anywho update. $OMEGA ha!