Reviews for HIGURASHI NO NAKU KORO NI: KAMEN RIDER SHOWA
starofjustice chapter 44 . 2/20
Well, the advent of another form for Shinichi, and the demise of another Number.

The biggest thing, of course, being the introduction of Armor since Gin-Shocker's a big enough threat to warrant that kind of intervention (what about the predecessors the other Kamen Riders fought?).

I would be cautious when upping the ante that high, exactly because of the possibilities that opens up. A dimension-jumping story can quickly become a crowded one, and a story format with somewhat rigid rules like Kamen Rider's can end up in a story with very different ones. And it can seem really cool to have your character rub shoulders with someone from a show you really like. Essence of fanfiction, almost. Just be careful when thinking what introducing something to your world will have.
starofjustice chapter 40 . 2/8
Sorry it's taken me this long to finish another one. Another arc closes, another fight with another NUMBER, but not the final one for Bomber just yet.

The part with dating the grown-up girls was kind of cute, although I'm getting the feeling I really do need to take a time out and read the manga this is based on to be able to keep up as intended.

Shinichi got to show off some cool new powers this time and put Bomber in his place, although I think I'm looking at the NUMBERS with too much of what I was told about them in SxV. There they were part of a competition to create the best one, but Shinichi was always #1. Here they seem tougher, closer to him in ability unless he's using one of the powered-up forms furnished by one of the village treasures.

Not a bad arc. We'll see what comes next.
starofjustice chapter 34 . 1/5
The romance/normal life stuff in the first half of the arc was okay, kind of cute. There wasn't a lot of buildup to the fight with Petrifier or Shinichi getting a new power-up from the other treasures, though.
starofjustice chapter 30 . 12/29/2014
Another arc behind me, the emergence of this story’s version of Black 13, and got some mixed feelings.

I liked that Black 13 actually is a dark side to Shinichi, unlike being a false alarm in S x V. His emergence was done pretty well, with Shinichi gradually acting like more of a jerk and performing a vigilante killing on the guy who ran over his mom. Some of the Numbers on his side approved, too, which says a little something about them as well and just what they might be willing to condone after growing up in Gin-Shocker.

I will say I was disappointed when it turned out that White 14 was Shinichi’s clone in this version, though. I’d been hoping to see him have to face his own inner darkness, instead of a villain who looks like him and is an asshole he can just beat up. Then again, clones are a plot device that are kind of hard to pull off without seeming cheap.

The game between Topper and the witches was kind of interesting, although I find that kind of thing works best when it isn’t exactly clear how they move or what direct effects they cause, just that there’s an idea that they’re countering each other.

Also, we have Warren Smith, the father of SxV’s Kamen Rider Necros? If I read this, will I get to find out his back story? Didn’t get much reading that.
starofjustice chapter 25 . 12/20/2014
We encounter the NUMBERS here, and first thing that springs to mind is boy am I glad some of them got different Kamen Rider names in Showa x Vampire, like Daichi and Goemon. With all due respect to the creators, those needed an extra run through the proofing process.

As for the Numbers, some join up with Shinichi, and it’s more or less the same ones who join his side in Showa x Vampire. On the one hand, I understand him having to fight for his life against the more twisted members of the unit who come after him and ultimately having to take most of the evil Numbers’ lives. His power base in this story’s a lot more limited and if they don’t take him up on his initial offer, he can’t really afford to keep trying to redeem them because he doesn’t have enough super-powered friends that someone can be counted on to come bail him out if he gets in trouble.

On the other hand, like in Showa x Vampire, when some of the Numbers do decide to turn over a new leaf, they basically just decide not to go back to that place they already hated anyway. And there’s nothing Gin-Shocker can really do about it besides send more guys to kill them. If a ton of guys just get up and walk away from the bad guys, and all that happens is they’re fighting members of the bad guy group like they were already, the bad guys don’t really look that dangerous. Was Shinichi really the only one who was brainwashed? There was nothing discouraging desertion for any of the other Numbers? In Ryuki, for example, Shinji was the only Rider who acted like a hero because everyone else they gave a deck had a reason to be willing to fight for the prize. And Shinji wasn’t supposed to have been a Rider.

One thing I did really like was how Showa was regarded with suspicion for wielding a sacred artifact and the villagers not really trusting this stranger who hides everything about himself with something so ancient and powerful. In other words, that he isn’t automatically afforded their respect. I also liked how Shinichi was told if he himself didn’t have respect for the sword, he wouldn’t be worthy of wielding it anymore; to be worthy of it, he has to not only want to wield it for just purposes, he has to have respect for what it represents and what he, as its wielder, represents. That was an interesting layer to the standard evil-smiting legendary weapon.

One minor touch that was kind of cool was seeing Shinichi being determined not to rely on his magic sword to get him through all his hard spots in one chapter. You don’t usually see that in tokusatsu; when the hero gets a stronger power they’re happy using it all the time. They need to advertise the toy of it, after all. It was, however, undone when he ended up using it anyway.
starofjustice chapter 11 . 11/30/2014
Having finished the arc, my main thoughts are still that the primary characters and setting were rushed out, perhaps banking on familiarity with the anime this is based on. With it being clearer this was intended to be a short series but the ideas just kept flowing, some decisions, like pushing the romantic couples together so quickly and Showa getting a powered-up form already, are kind of understandable.

The characters' identities and the heroes Shinichi can imitate being glossed over is something I found made it a little hard to get into either the Gaming Club's regular social stuff or Shinichi's fights against the villains. Certainly I'm familiar with the Showa Riders, but it felt really weird for Shinichi to just whip out the forms and powers of other heroes with no explanation at all of who they were and what they could do.

Obviously a lot of this was dealt with in Showa X Vampire. Although having read that, I'm really hoping Shinichi's guilt at the atrocities Black 13 committed at the whim of a madman doesn't run away from him here like it did there. It wasn't him, it was another person created by a very effed-up person, and his insistence those deeds laid on him lasted way longer than it had any reason to.

I did appreciate how despite regularly talking about how he fights for the protection of his friends, in this version Shinichi fights monsters who are a danger to the town around him in general too. Far and away my bigggest problem with Showa X Vampire was how isolationist the heroes ended up seeming. Not on purpose, I'm sure, but this was refreshing nonetheless.
starofjustice chapter 2 . 11/23/2014
I'm just getting started on this version, and the main thing I'm noticing right away is the setting and characters are rushed out kind of fast. I presume this was written with familiarity to the source material in mind.

This version of Shinichi's a lot more open with himself about drooling over hot girls in this one, I'm noticing, which is kind of a refreshing change-up. I'll see what I think of upcoming chapters.
SilverFang555 chapter 100 . 9/1/2013
I enjoyed every bit of KR Showa's genesis! It was an interesting take on the series and the various characters livened up the story. I would say the final battle that had Showa and Heisei Riders had All-Riders levels of finality and awesomeness. GIN-SHOCKER were very good villains and Gebok is the best 'love to hate' type of character. Also I would say that Daichi and Chiaki were two of my favorite characters, and I would really like to see what is the deal with Topper(reminds me a lot of Narutaki; y'know without being an ambiguous nutcase!).

Great story! Can't wait to read KR Showa X Green Lantern!
Cobalt Striker Gundam chapter 100 . 8/27/2013
Well so far that I've read this on the whole Summer and it was the greatest Kamen Rider Fanfic equal to Kamen Rider GX so far I really Like the part when Shinichi got to transform Into Showa and how His Friends and Rena saw his Rider powers and they excited about to become Riders up Where that butthole Gebok who want to Control Shinichi Back to his side but fail Like a Douche thanks to his friends who believe in him as a hero and a good friend and togethee they defeated Gebok. Then Shiori came back to his life and after learning that Shinichi love Hinamizawa cause of his friends and Girlfriend she decided to comeback. After That the NUMBERS group came to kill him but some realize He's changed and is not the same Guy as they used to know, so now some of them decided to join him on his mission to destory GIN-SHOCKER and later on WHITE 14 tried to mess up with Shinichi's friends and killed the NEO-NUMBERS only got his ass kicked by Shinichi after the payback is done he returns back to normal with his time power weeks later he meets Warren and asked him to join ARMOR with the NEO-NUMBERS after some much battles with Between GIN-SHOCKER and DHS along the way made new friends especially Princess Shawna peace brought back for now and Shinichi has a little brother named Sho along with Rkia and Hanyuu as his sisters and in the end married Rena in 7 years. I give this story 1000 out of 1000! Shinichi you rule! XD
Cobalt Striker Gundam chapter 4 . 8/27/2013
YAY! Shinichi survived Mr. Ryuugu's threat and got to make out with Rena now that's a victory. A great victory came when Shnichi finally defeated the cause of the Hinamizawa Syndrome and Satoshi's suffering ending it by waking up up and seeing Shion and Satoko and Shion got to be his girlfriend what a great happy ending! XD
Cobalt Striker Gundam chapter 3 . 8/27/2013
HaHaHaHaHa I love a little payback just like the Gaming Club Spied on Shinichi and Rena it's on the opposite for Keiichi and Mion and got their first kiss too. However the memories of Shinichi are growing as he remembers as a Kamen Rider but also found out abot Satoshi, the Hinamizawa Syndrome and the cause of this mess the Darklings and Darkloids I wonder how many mysteries are out for both Shinichi and Hinamzawa and to find out if he will be able to survive the rage of Mr. Ryuugu? oh and Congrats on the kiss Shinichi and Rena XD!
Cobalt Striker Gundam chapter 2 . 8/27/2013
Oh wow Shinichi and Rena's date was really well especially Rena was alive and telling her that he loves her was very epic indeed. Congrats Shinichi and Rena on your future relationships. Meanwhile Rika and Hanyuu knows Shinichi's time powers and asking who he really is well let's what hapens nex on the oher chapter. Nice job though.
Cobalt Striker Gundam chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
And so the story has begun for Shinichi and his friends. Those memories flashes in his head are growing and what secret do he have to transform? And Rika and Hanyuu are curious with him as well; but i really love the funny part in the end. Well let's what what happen on the next chapter and see If Shinichi survies the wrath of Mion and Shion eh?
SilverFang555 chapter 11 . 7/21/2013
Awakening Arc is a pretty fun ride! I like how Shinichi goes from this amnesiac to finding his place in Hinamizawa. Also him trying to overcome his past lets us know how much damage GIN-SHOCKER did to him.

I also like the subtle hints into the next Arc, so I guess I will see you at the end of New Life!
Ice Wolf Fang chapter 100 . 3/15/2013
here's my summery of this chapter well thought out, a lot of heart, a sweet ending, and a hell of a lot of kicking, nice job chrome I'm glad i finally finished this