Reviews for Rhapsody
Ed chapter 1 . 3/12
I love the great iconic images here. Demona killing Goliath with a Quarryman hammer. Xanatos's fate, a shell of a life for someone who sought eternal life as an end in itself. Demona alone again.

Demona comments about humanity's perversion of religion, but uses the image of the gargoyle race as an instrument of terror and fear; adopts the weapon of one of her greatest foes, and then complains that Angela brooked gargoyle tradition by not letting her speak at the wind ceremony. What a nerve. And creepily, we leave Castaway being blessed so the great tradition of using the good to pursue evil agendas continues. If the saying "write what you know" is to be believed, Greg obviously knows all about perversion. ;)

It's a great Demona story, and I think a very credible prediction as to how her character may wind up, but I think "Rhapsody" also deserves credit for being a truly great Angela story. With Demona there are obvious pitfalls but Angela is much more subtle and easy to whitewash. I think here she's got an interesting and nuanced role. She argues for peace while Demona agitates for war; while Demona plots to 'protect' her daughter, Angela is ordering the gargoyles to protect even and especially the Quarrymen. And it makes so much sense emotionally to me that the endgame of her relationship with Demona isn't hatred but... resignation. Moving on, putting Demona behind her, leaving her alone. It's a much more final, and fitting, ending. Gives me chills.

Funny Demona tells Goliath about the Atlantean crystal. If she could just learn to shut up, she'd probably have had another shot.
Harvester of Eye chapter 1 . 2/17
I thought the opening blurbs (flashing back to Paris in the 1920s and Saint Damien's in 1996) served as a good establisher. Likewise Demona retrieving the statue in 2056. Right off the bat, we can see that the last sixty years haven't done much to improve Demona's attitudes towards humans and genocide (a welcome departure from a lot of Demona fics).

I also like how we got that moment between Goliath and Elisa before we saw the rest of the clan. And several of those interpretations were well thought out. Lexington and Staghart... doesn't seem very farfetched. And I enjoyed the irony of David Xanatos's fate: He finally lost his battle against one of his biggest fears.

To be honest, I've heard a few people say they wanted more expose, but I felt we got just the right amount here, leaving the large-scale stuff to the imagination (and I know GregX has said elsewhere that there was one thing in pacrticular he didn't want to get into in the story in great detail).

And once again, Demona overplays her hand. It's not enough that she's about to eradicate humanity, she just can't resist giving them a taste. I kind of like how that paves the way for her undoing here, much like how in 1996, if she'd just thrown the vial to the ground without explaining her plan, she'd have been breaking out the champagne and cigars.

I also like the interpretation of the Quarrymen. Jack seems to be as level-headed as his father. And to be honest, we haven't seen too much of the Quarrymen in canon Gargoyles. What we have seen of them in TGC or fanfic usually paints them as vandals. I think this is the first fanfic I've ever read that really paints them plausibly. They leave their hammers out of sight for the protest outside the UN, and when they do take action, it's to save the hostages in the church. The old woman expressing her thanks to Jack towards the end was a very nice touch.

Goliath's death... well, we got a nice bit of foreshadowing from Jack. He vowed his hammer would kill a gargoyle. From that, I had a feeling where it was going. Wouldn't put it past Demona to pick up a Quarryhammer. She's spent several centuries killing with a mace, after all. On top of that, she destroys the crystal at the center of the statue. That, and Demona's brief reaction after the deed is done was interesting. She was probably starting to think it might never happen. Sadly, no one showed up at the last minute this time.

And yes, I'll admit, my eyes got a little misty when I read Elisa's line to Goliath. Hey, my room's not that well-ventilated, and I haven't dusted in a while. ( ;

But seriously, I also felt the Wind Ceremony was just the right length, and we heard from all the key people. I especially liked Fox speaking for her husband, and Thailog speaking from beyond the grave. Also, and this was a small thing I pointed out to GregX, I especially liked how Nashville referred to Brooklyn by name, instead of calling him "dad" or "father."

And I like how the GMPA barely passed. I imagine that a lot of those people joining the Quarrymen were people who had loved ones that were killed by Demona's animated statues. Hey, the Aryan Nation and the KKK still exist today. Just because there's a law against hunting gargoyles, it doesn't mean people can stop hating them. The Constitution still protects the Quarrymen's rights to assembly.

We can imagine she'll probably be trying to make up some excuse that makes sense only in her mind. It's like Angela said, she's her own worst enemy. That's another thing that's been batted around in the CR and ASK GREG, but had never actually been said in a story. Great way to end it.

Great fic. Definitely one of my favorites.
Lin chapter 1 . 9/20/2016
Wow. This is an AMAZING work. Are you sure this isn't a comic? :-)
Pirate King Ray chapter 1 . 11/4/2013
This is pretty tragic. Damn wonderful. Goliath's death was heartbreaking, but it's nice to see Demona finally locked away.
waffleirony chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Are you sure that this is a fanfiction? It's too good to be one.
CMR Rosa chapter 1 . 5/27/2012
Awesome story.
NinjaSheik chapter 1 . 5/17/2010
Awesome~!
NyeLew chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Truly a moving piece. Thank you for writing it.
Demons Of Doom chapter 1 . 3/8/2009
That was a great story
drufan chapter 1 . 2/3/2009
Was just flitting around in this fandom and came upon this story. Wonderfully done. A solid tale with even a sense of closure for the series itself. Thanks!
Admiral Larsen chapter 1 . 2/3/2009
This is a truly excellent story (and an excellent interpretation of how to tell a story that has yet been untold officially in the Gargoyles saga) and represents the best of what the entire series was about.

Congratulations on an excellent story.

Just asking here but do you plan to do anymore. Of course there are more that can be explored in the time period leading up to this "day of days".
BlondieSheep chapter 1 . 1/28/2009
*sniffles* No seriously, I got teary during the Wind Ceremony. Well done, well done! I like how you included everyone's story, little touches for the diehard fans. I couldnt stop giggling over Lex and Broadway taking out the statues with the 'usual trick'. The Wind Ceremony was so touching, Im glad you kept everyone's speeches just a line long, it felt like a montage. The addition of Thailog's words cracked me up.

All in all, really truly, well done!
Kat36 chapter 1 . 1/26/2009
This was terrific. I read it at lunch, and got so involved I forgot to eat, just sat on the edge of my chair and read. I love how you've handled the characters (and you know I'm very picky about that), especially when going over such a long expanse of time. Also, it made me teary-eyed, although I tried not to let it. Two thumbs up!
Storyseeker chapter 1 . 1/26/2009
This fic was great! The clan seems to have securely locked Demona up, but somehow I don't think anything can keep Demona down for long. You wrote the fic in a believable way, where the clan earned both a victory in achieveing sentient recognition, and a defeat where the Quarrymen ended up getting loads more members.
Chimerical Beast chapter 1 . 1/26/2009
Nice one. I didn't miss the jibe at "Angels in the Night". I thank you for using females as the Iraqi war veteran and the civilian that jumped Demona.

You also made my inner fan-girl happy at the inclusion of Staghart, and slight tension-ease moment between Owen and Oberon.

8 1/2 out of 10 stars!