Reviews for Only Human
Lin16 chapter 14 . 2/3/2011
I figure your done with this, but either way I just had to comment. This story has been fantastic. Your focus on Skywarp was refreshingly different. While still a durp, he learns and adapts to his situation and really does develop beautifully. Especially his involvement with Melissa. Her addition added a very new and interesting aspect to him that flowed well with the overall story. I especially enjoyed the way he viewed her when again in mech mode and how that unsettled him.

I was also very interested with what you did with Cyclonus. Your take on the twist was excellently executed and added an interesting twist of drama to the already darkening story line.
chaitea16 chapter 14 . 12/19/2010
This story is fantastic on some of my absolute favorite levels. Not only is your grasp on the difference between Transformers and humans well defined, it’s consistent. My favorite example of this is once you have Skywarp back in his original body. The way he views the women he loved as a human now was brilliantly crushing (bad pun, I know). Even after killing off Melissa the way you continued to incorporate her again is innovative and charming. It’s not overly easy and still hopeful to potentially get her back with the prospect you opened up. It also makes for an exceptional plot driving device that had some of the best Galvatron and Cyclonis portrayal I have seen. Not only do they feel spot on, but you made them entertaining and eerie at the same time. I noticed it has been a while since an update, but nevertheless I felt compelled to thank you for this much. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read that kept me hooked all the way through.
Skull-16 chapter 2 . 4/16/2010
this is so, friggin' cool! i love it!
TFSTARFIRE chapter 14 . 1/19/2010
i remember starting to read this and liked it a lot :)
Taipan Kiryu chapter 14 . 2/5/2009
Galvatron’s madness was always very sad to see, perhaps because it was the kind of insanity Megatron would have been so disgusted of. But I guess there is a limit for a tortured spark to bear.

As for Zarak, definitely there is no Lord left in him.

Well, now Scourge has entered the game, raising suspiciouns again. He was, after all, who Thundercracker was reformatted into.

So I reached your last update. Thank you again for posting your story here. Sorry if I wrote you so many reviews in a row. I’m not an obsessed freak or anything, at least that’s why I like to believe ;o) But your story is so good that it deserves the recognition.

I’ll be looking forward to the continuation of this jewel of fanfiction. Thanks for sharing it.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 13 . 2/5/2009
I could feel I was inside the dimensional tear. Most fans limit Skywarp’s ability by simply taking for granted the word “teleport.” You, on the other hand, gave it a real dimension here.

Seems that Unicron’s final fate was to be everybody’s devil’s advocate. No wonder why nobody ever dared to destroy his head and just let it float around Cybertron. What a way to have a heaven and a hell of their own, visible and tangible. I swear I could hear Orson Welles’ voice as I read Unicron’s words. Talking about power! And what twist you gave to the story with his appearance.

And talking about power, what a great way for Skywarp to show up! This battle is amongst the best ones I have ever read in fanfiction, truly epic.

Oh and you know… many theories have been said about the matter, about if Cyclonus was created from Skywarp or Bombshell. Obviously in your story Skywarp is out of the question, and I can’t help wondering how about if Thundercracker was the one who got the reformatting? Can’t help it, the love I have for these characters drag me into drama :oP
Taipan Kiryu chapter 12 . 2/5/2009
Once again your dialogues and descriptions amaze me, made me chill in anticipation of what’s coming. The existence of that space, lying somewhere between life and death, is perhaps what separates Skywarp from being a machine again. Was it Melissa, was it experiencing being made of flesh and bones, was it having the opportunity to think about his actions without the programming that was embed into him since his creation? Even though he has lived for millions of terrestrial years, Skywarp is living independence for the first time in his life. It must be thrilling for somebody that was only used to follow and exist.

And sorry if I repeat myself, but once again you wave this story in such an amazing way. The Quintessons entering in the perfect timing, with the shreds of their politics and civilization. I also applaud the way you highlighted that it was actually the Decepticons who freed Cybertron in the first place, a detail that the cartoon always decided to ignore. Oh, and introducing Vector Sigma to the equation and Optimus Prime being a facsimile? Priceless! The domination game certainly is getting thicker.

Time for revelations. Skywarp’s origins came into the light guided by his cold creator’s logic. No place indeed for familiar bondings in there, but Skywarp has the ability to grief. It would have been very interesting to watch his performance if Shockwave had removed his restrictions, but refusing and staying truthtful to that small part of individual personality that is starting to grow and show Skywarp just who he really is, is a major victory.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 11 . 2/5/2009
Beautiful way to start a chapter. Memories in an artificial processor expressing themselves, or just a sentient being, no matter if metallic, creating his own private paradise? Happiness can be found in an anonymous motel room, and not precisely because of the reasons everybody would think.

Perhaps also Skywarp’s conscience can be found in there, if such a thing exist in a robot. But being sentient has its privileges, so deep reflexion and taking important decisions is meaningful, despite the names we give to the act. Doing what’s right is always a tough one; a cause can be satisfied, an ego, but Melissa definitely gave Skywarp something to think about, something to be better, no matter what insignia he carries.

The battle inside Astrotrain was magnificent, revenge and following his own impulses leading Skywarp’s actions. What a way to find courage, and to release the inner anger of having been thrown into space the time before.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 10 . 2/5/2009
Another thing I love about your fic is how you put apparently opposite concepts in the same playground, their meanings depending only on the eyes of strangers.

So Sean Berger died a hero, or a traitor? He knew better, but to the rest of the world it will only matter the way history will judge him.

As for Starscream, he may have his reasons to hate Megatron, but the tyrant was an effective teacher. It was Megatron’s lessons what gave Starscream the leadership of the Decepticons at the end. Manipulating the masses is not a hard task for the ones with power and ambition. Starscream always had the second, and circumstances gave him the first. However, fear and respect is something he is yet to inspire. The distance between him and Megatron is still abysmal. A shadow that big can’t be erradicated with a moment of euphoria.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 9 . 2/5/2009
Great way to introduce an old character that deserved more appearances, or his son in this case.

Humans are not the heroes of the story by far, and thus their good actions can have dark backgrounds. Guilt can be a powerful reason, almost as greed.

It was GREAT to see Skywarp using his stealth and teleporting abilities. In order to keep the Decepticons in the loser side, the cartoon barely exploited those abilities. I deeply thank you for being realistic once again :o) His battle with Ultra Magnus was breath taking. Thanks for the images! Melissa’s influence managed to touch the Decepticon, not only the human Skywarp. And Magnus’ face must have been worth to look at.

Shockwave was imposing. Logic dictates every one of his actions, so thanking Skywarp for rescuing him simply doesn’t compute. It was very satisfying how he immediately assumed command, a real subcommander doing what his Commander expected him to do under such circumstances.

I also loved the Stunticons, being so… themselves. Imagining them rolling over Autobots gives me a pleasant satisfaction.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 8 . 2/5/2009
What a realistic portrayal of the aftermath of the Autobot-Decepticon conflict through the single optic of an infamous prisoner.

Innocence may be the first victim of any war, but still you handled the situation very well. There is no way to talk about good and evil sides in a war; after all, everything is plagued with the interests of the powerful minorities, and turning from victim to executioner does not seem hard at all. Politics are so away from their original meaning, and even though we are talking about a fictional universe here, there is no way things have to be different.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 7 . 2/5/2009
There must be something inebriating once a metal being spends some time in a flesh body. Perhaps Skywarp wasn’t able to realize love, but his instincts of staying human spoke by themselves.

The good-bye scene was touching, farewells happening in more than one way. It could have happened; Skywarp could have been the first Transformer able to cry. Tears, after all, don’t depend only of organic glands. As rage doesn’t depend on that either; the pulp that doctor King turned into proves it.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 6 . 2/5/2009
I love all those little details you include to emphasize the personality of a character, for example Skywarp fighting his natural prank desires while tugging Melissa’s goggles. Weakness, maturity? Sometimes the line can be so blurry, especially after the moment they recently shared.

And what an entrance for Starscream! Intelligent and cunning as he is, he has big weak points to be exploited, and Skywarp hit the precise target. No doubt they were assembled together.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 5 . 2/5/2009
My favorite chapter so far. Actually I was waiting for this to happen since Melissa’s first appearance, but I thank you for writing it in the perfect moment and in the perfect way.

Being overloaded of new sensations certainly would make Skywarp question some things about his new body and its reactions. Physical and mental waves in a way that is hard to explain for a sentient war machine, but suddenly finding himself in a peaceful environment and in the company of the object of his curiosity, can teach Skywarp a lesson or two about desire. Fortunately he had a good teacher.

“If you didn't have all those memories of death and destruction you would be perhaps the first pure adult I've ever met. Even when you're human, you're still better than us.”

“Grasping his hand tightly she drew him into her embrace, and in her embrace he remained, until he could no longer feel anything at all.”

Now these were amazing lines! A Decepticon warrior seen through the eyes of a human, no prejudices or easy cliches involved. Another reason why I love your story so much.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 4 . 2/5/2009
Once again you portray believable and meaningful actions for the characters. Skywarp’s amazement must have been huge. Waking up in a flesh body must be one of those things that can drive a mech nuts, but he is a Decepticon warrior first and a victim later, so facing unconveniences is nothing new.

I also like that you are portraying Skywarp as an intelligent mech. His biographies state that he wasn’t too smart, but taking a look at the cartoon, he actually was never shown as stupid, so I totally share your version.

I love when the Cons are forced to drop their macho attitudes for a bit and accept somebody else’s help, especially when said situations are written so good that you totally buy them. That is the case of this story. I insist you did a wonderful job with an original character such as Melissa. The tension and subtle attraction between her and Skywarp is very well managed, very far away from Mary Sue.

Now, the war protocol instruction is a VERY interesting concept. Definitely helps to firmly support your plot.