Reviews for Batman Is
daddybats chapter 1 . 9/18/2016
I really enjoyed this! Superb job!
AF77 chapter 1 . 1/21/2016
SO AWESOMEEE! And YESSSSSSSSS
StoryWizard18 chapter 1 . 3/22/2015
You wrote "Seriously, whats with that? A young boy in tights..." The word "whats" should be "what's" to contract "what is."

I really enjoyed the piece about Catwoman. The relationship is rich and complex.
I can't draw chapter 1 . 9/8/2011
Wow. Thank you for writing that: it was beautiful :)
Guptanation chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Great story, Batman is my favorite hero/superhero for the same reason, he's so much more complex, has so many more facets to his being.
Wildcard999 chapter 1 . 8/27/2009
Son: I like the recurring image of staring out the window, into the darkness. Very Dark Knight (the guy, not the movie!)

/...Alfred Pennyworth, loyal butler to the Wayne family stood within the cavernous living.../

You missed a comma between family and stood. You need it to show Alfred Pennyworth is the one standing, not loyal butler. Also, that's an incredibly long sentence. Not the best idea to start with.

/It had been so long since the night when both their worlds had fallen-the night almost 20 long years ago-when the sound of a gun had left his charge an orphan at eight and him his guardian./

I know what you're trying to do, and it isn't working with the commas. I've edited the above section to include double dashes. This is just an example though, there are a lot of places you need them. A LOT of places. Periods and commas just don't cut it.

I also noticed your possessives have no apostrophes. What's up with that?

In spite of the mistakes though, that was good. I liked it. The beginning didn't quite feel like Alfred, but towards the end it felt more and more like him.

Partner: This one was a little difficult to read since it felt like you were pulling from multiple canons for it. I thought that when you said 'multiple canons', you had meant that these works weren'tt all from the same canon.

/It hadn’t been that long ago that he thought of The Batman as an enemy: a violent unstable vigilante, another plague upon the already sickly city./

I think that sounds better with a colon instead of a comma. And 'since' should be 'that' if you want to use 'ago' in there.

Father:

/...how they flew among the trapeze far above the crowd./

New sentence. You started talking about Dick halfway through the sentence. After that, you can't go back to his parents without reaffirming you are talking about his parents. And it just works better as a new sentence. You don't always have to get it all out at once. Try only having one to three ideas in a single sentence. It'll be a lot easier to follow your writing.

/When the dust had settled, his parents laid dead, and only 8 years old, he was alone in the world./

Are you sure he was eight? You wrote this earlier:

/...when he had brought home a crying boy, no older than 12, victim to the same crime that had claimed his charge’s childhood./

Your writing may be rocky, but it's interesting and the emotion comes through loud and clear.
Jen Rock chapter 1 . 1/31/2009
That was very moving and so true. Batman really is all of those things and more. Great fic.
The Laughing Fish chapter 1 . 1/31/2009
This is princessebee again, writing from mine and Jarec's joint account.

On another note, this story IS very well-written, well-paced and your characterisations are mostly excellent (I'd quibble with Alfred using the word "okay"). You handle the concept with deftness and a nice touch. This makes it all the more important for you to acknowledge inspiration, because doing otherwise undermines the otherwise very good work you've done here.

So, overall... please keep writing Batman stories... but when you take inspiration from fellow fans, please just acknowledge it too.
jarec chapter 1 . 1/31/2009
At first, I thought you were just ripping off my He Is series, written months ago to do pretty much what you did here. Then I read what you've written.

Wow.

You've got an excellent feel for the characters, especially the Ventriloquist (who is very hard to get right, I've found). Your Joker also shines- you perfectly captured his megalomania and his need for Batman, without making it overly slash-y. All in all, you've outdone me.

I notice this is your first forray into Batman fiction. May I say that I hope it isn't your last.

Jarec
princessebee chapter 1 . 1/31/2009
It would've been nice if you had credited both Jarec and I. I orignally wrote stories to this theme for TMNT fandom. Jarec then used that concept as inspiration for a set of his own stories. The concept here is so similar I find it difficult to believe you have not, at the very least, read Jarec's stories on this theme.

Acknowledgement of the work of your fellow fans is a courtesy.